Monday, November 12, 2012

Jesus and Black Friday

Black Friday-the day after Thanksgiving when people stand in line in the dark waiting for the stores to open so they can stampede in and grab the items of their choice. No one is thinking about the other people around them at this time. Unless, of course, one has brought a friend, to grab the other TV, so they can buy 2 for 60% off. Maybe someday I'll be brave enough to go.

I wonder if Jesus felt like a Black Friday Special when He went lake-side with His disciples that day.( Mark 3:7-12)

Imagine that you are really sick. Imagine knowing that your only chance to get better is based on whether or not you can push through the crowds and touch the man in the off-white robe. You wouldn't much care about the people around you nor would you care much about the man in the off-white robe. You would push and shove with what little energy you have to bring yourself and possibly a needy family member up to Him to touch Him or have Him touch you and yours.

Jesus, Son of God, Son of Man, was actually in danger of being crushed that day on the beach.

So He extracted Himself from the hundreds and thousands of shoving sweating sick people and got into a boat and moved out from the shore a little ways and from that safe distance He did what He came to do.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wonder if I treat Jesus like a Black Friday Special?

Do I care for You, Jesus, or do I care for myself
and what You can do for me?

Do I look for Your face so I can see Your love for me
or do I look for Your face so You can see my love for You?

Do I press through the crowd to touch You so You can heal my broken heart, my broken home, my broken toe,
or do I press through the crowd to give You a deep cool drink of water, for surely, You too, must thirst.

My hands in my face.
Weeping.
Do I only care for You because of what You can do for me?
Have I not loved You for Yourself, alone?

O God, let it not be so!

Oh Jesus, help me love You and care for You.
What do you want?
What do you need?
How can I love You more?

No comments: