Sunday, November 4, 2012

The Way He Spoke

So, in this venture of discovering the authority of Christ revealed in the Gospel of Matthew, I went back and read the Words that He spoke. I discovered that every single one of His words was spoken with authority.

 I'm not talking about someone who is an authoritarian-someone who 'enforces obedience'. I am talking about true authority-someone who has the 'power and influence resulting from knowledge, prestige,etc.'

To the devil in the wilderness He said,
"Scripture says, 'Man cannot live by bread alone; he lives on every word that God utters.'"
And "Scriptures says, 'You are not to put the Lord your God to a test.'"
"Be gone Satan; Scripture says, 'You shall worship the Lord your God and worship Him alone.'"

To Peter, Andrew, James, John, He said, "Come with me, and I will make you fishers of men!"

And then the whole sermon on the mountain was spoken with authority. He was an authority on everything He spoke and did. And the people were astonished at His authority.

To the leper, He said, "Be clean."

To the centurion-"Go home now; because of your faith, so let it be."

To the windstorm-"Peace, be still."

To the demons-"Begone!"

To the paralyzed man-"Take heart. Your sins are forgiven. Rise up and walk."

To Matthew the tax-collector, He said, "Follow me."

To the woman who touched His cloak in a crowd-"My daughter, your faith has cured you."

To the professional mourners at Jarius's house-"Be off!"

To the little dead girl-"Arise!"

To the blind men, "As you have believed, so let it be."

To the disciples on a mission trip-"Go to the lost sheep of Israel. Proclaim that 'the kingdom of Heaven is upon you.' Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse the lepers. Etc.
Be wary as serpents, harmless as doves.
Be on your guard.
Do not worry.
Do not be afraid."

To the messenger sent by an imprisoned, disillusioned, John the Baptist, He replied, "Go tell John such things as you see. The blind see, the lame walk, the dead are raised, and to the poor, the gospel is preached. Blessed is the one who is not offended in me."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All this authority and I am only at the beginning of Chapter eleven.

This is no namby-pamby Christ we serve.
I am 10 feet tall.
This is the Christ whose backbone is in me!

Holy, Holy, Holy.
Holy, Wonderful, God!



No comments: