Saturday, November 24, 2012

Hertzler Doings-Nov. 12-18, 2012

Mon.-Oh boy. Here we go again. Writing this weeks diary from notes nearly two weeks after the fact.
"One thing God has spoken, two things I have heard: that You, O God, are strong and that You, O  Lord, are loving." Ps. 62:11.
Moving slowly. Alli and Susan went swimming while I read a book pool-side. Came back and had lunch and a movie. Susan studied Science and then I took her out to basketball practice. Went to Walmart. Then picked up Laura, then Susan, and met Betty and Kelly at Sho-gun. Lovely visit and twice as much food as we needed so we took some home to share. Betty took Laura home and Susan and I raced back to Happy Valley and found sheets, blankets and pillows for those who are spending the night there. Fortunately, they had not yet arrived. We turned on the lights and came home and put the groceries away.

Tues.-Raining. Phil home. Philip got a white surprise. Susan to co-op. Had lunch with Michelle at Ruby Tuesdays. Pictures to Karalee with Susan's help at Barnes and Noble. Ran into Chris and Whitney and got to hear their story. Susan to basketball. KNIT group in eve. 14 ladies there.
Brought my own lawn chair.

Wed.-Breakfast with Susan, Philip, Freeman, and Phil. Rosalee-grade 1 malignancy in the uterine lining/endometrial cancer. Hysterectomy laposcropically. Naomi called. Thawed turkey. Kroger-spend $25-turkey for 37 cents a pound. Laurel and Henry came out for a photo shoot. Joined us for a supper of deep fried turkey, french fries, and salad. Laurel took care of me. Made me sit down and baby my toe. I love her and Henry. They're family.

Thurs.-Sports physical for Susan. Dr. checked my toe. Infected and terribly painful. X-rays. Bone is chipped. Krogers. Home. Made triple batch of tapioca and honeyed sesame nut snack. Went out to Farmville for meeting. Susan-basketball practice.

Fri.-Phil and Freeman left to go bear hunting in Pa. Made a big turkey in dutch oven with lots of broth. I have a container of breast meat for sandwiches, 2 containers of gravy frozen and ready for Thanksgiving, and turkey vegetable rice soup. Susan went to practice basketball with Ashley Z. and then to musical practice. Alli brought her home.  Laurel came over and we visited while she dusted, swept the floors, and nursed my toe. What a delight she is. Michael home. Hadn't slept for 30 hours. Philip is cleaning the mancave.

Sat.-Philip butchered a pig. Michael, Suz, and I had a leisurely morning. Mike made ginger tea. Washed. Made homemade mac and cheese. Set up mancave for Bantons. They came around 4. Supper of hot dogs, baked beans, and mac and cheese. Showed them the piglets first thing. Visiting and watching a movie. All of us in bed by 8 except for boys who went out with their friends.

Sun.-Comfort, Conviction, and Calm. I am pastored. Sang one of my favorite choruses written by a man who prayed for Phil and I during separate sessions of the last Cleansing Stream Retreat. "And now, let the weak say 'I am strong.' Let the poor say 'I am rich,' because of what the Lord has done..." Gil and Lindsay know the Smith's well. Song went up to 'gold.' Communion. Honoring of Gil and Lindsay. They went to a friend's home for lunch and the afternoon. Philip took Susan out to eat with the guys. Alli and had lunch together here and talked until she had to leave for play practice. When Bantons came back, I took Lindsay and Adi for a ride on the gator to the river. Angel and Ollie accompanied us. Ollie nearly became Thanksgiving Dinner although none of us could eat him knowingly. He doesn't seem to realize that he shouldn't stop in front of the gator when it is moving. No more carefree gator rides for me.
We made popcorn and had some turkey sandwiches and watched 'Brave.' Alli and Susan came home during the last 5 min. of the movie. Michael went to hang out with cousin Meredith. Philip went to bed. Gil and Lindsay put the girls to bed and came back and drank tea with Susan and I before we all hit the sack.
Gil keeps saying how much he loves to be here with us. He said something this morning, as I plopped paper bowls in front of the girls because the glass dishes were in the dishwasher-
"I love how you are more concerned about being hospitable than you are concerned about entertaining us." Only, he said it a whole lot better than I just wrote it. I think it is easy to be hospitable to people like Gil and Lindsay. We don't do anything and they think we are the greatest. How easy is that?

I am not sure what morning this took place, but Adi woke up early and Lindsay told her to be quiet so as not to wake up the animals. The man cave is near the barn. Adi, aware of all kinds of animal mounts and skins gracing the cave wall, said, "But they're already dead."

No comments: