Friday, September 11, 2009

On the Way Home

Our children, Michael and Susan, attend Cornerstone Christian Academy in Appomattox, Va. We carpool with another family in our neighborhood. They have two young boys, Parks and Kincaid. They keep us entertained with their witty and educational comments. I decided to start a series entitled, "On the Way Home" in which I will share some of the more laughable moments of our ride home from school.

Today, Kincaid was reading a book about elephant seals. He said, "They look like Dr. Suess would have made them." He said he wished he could sleep with them. "Not the male seals, but I'd like to sleep with either the female or the babies." He thought they looked soft. Susan said the male would flatten him out which reminded him of "Flat Stanley', the main character of the books his mother made him read when he was six. He didn't ever want to sleep with the leopard seals. "They jump right out of the water and grab you." Parks made a scary slurpy grabbing noise and I knew I didn't ever want to be near a leopard seal.

Kincaid wanted to take a nap as soon as he got home. He's planning on playing video games with his friend from 5:30-12 midnight. Parks didn't think he should have to take a nap. "Playing video games wears you out," said Kincaid.

I forgot to mention that Kincaid had his mouth taped shut with scotch tape when he got in the car. I asked them whether they wanted to have the windows down or have air on. Kincaid made some sort of noise and Parks said, "Windows up. I'll interpret what he says for you."

Kincaid suddenly had the urge to go to the bathroom when we were just a mile down the road from school. "Why didn't you go at school?," I asked.
"I didn't have to go then," he said.
He put his feet on the back of the seat. Susan said, "Kincaid, keep your feet off the seat."
"I'm just trying not to go to the bathroom," he said.
"Do you want me to pull off somewhere?" I asked.
"Yes, that would be nice. Let's go to Wendy's.
Gas station bathrooms scare me."
They told the story of the gas station bathroom that had no seat on its toilet. I decided to treat him to the nice bathroom in Peebles. What I really had in mind was a tree somewhere but I quickly realized this wouldn't do.

I told their mama when we got home that I was going to have to write a story about them on my blog today. She laughed nervously and said, 'We love to give you material.' I called her to read what I had written and as she was laughing, Kincaid was asking,"What? What?"
She said,"You should know. You were there."

I told her that some day, I will print out these stories and she can have a little file about the things her sons said and did on their way home from school.

Meanwhile, I am thankful for the free entertainment.

No comments: