Friday, September 11, 2009

Philip's Birthday Cake Request

Chocolate Marvel Cake-recipe adapted from 'Taste of Home'

Beat:(gently or things will fly)
1 cup strong brewed coffee
1 cup milk
2 containers of baby food prunes
4 egg whites or 2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla

Mix dry ingred. together and gradually
to wet mixture.

2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
3/4 baking cocoa
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt

I divide this batter between 2 or 3 round pans, spraying and lightly flouring, but I find it works best to have wax paper on bottom of pan. Comes out better. I spray and flour that after I've sprayed the bottom of the pan. The wax paper sticks better that way.

Bake at 350 for 30-35"-less if using 3 pans.
Cool for 10 min. and then 'dump' from pan.

Icing:
I usually times this another 1/2 because it is so good.
This is the original recipe, although it calls for margerine instead of butter.
Can use skim milk in both recipes.

6 Tablespoons butter
2 2/3 cup 10x sugar-confectioner's sugar
1/4 baking cocoa-I am generous with this
2 T. milk
2 T. coffee
1 tsp. vanilla

Beat the dry indred. with the butter first and then add wet ingred.
I really whip it up.
This cake is better after it sits for awhile
but last weekend, we ate it as soon as I iced it and it was still heavenly.

2 comments:

christi said...

that sounds very good!! wish i was there to taste it!!

Annie said...

I'll make you one when you come home! I love you. I am making steak, mashed potatoes, mixed veggies, salad, cake and ice cream for his birthday supper.