Friday, October 2, 2009

Hertzler Doings-Sept 28-Oct.4, 2009

Michael is still going to school for half days only.

On Wed. night, we picked up Sara F. and brought her along to youth group. They had a tailgate party Target Night and she wants to come again.

Susan was crowned an Honor Star in the Missionettes program, Wed. eve. She had accomplished quite a number of requirements along with Haley and Macaliah. She was dressed in a white outfit and looked so grown up and beautiful. The parents went up on stage with their daughters and we crowned them with beautiful sparkly crowns and put a sash on them that had the word 'Honor' on it. After the final awards were given to all the other boys and girls, Haley, Susan, and Macaliah performed a human video to the song, 'Who Am I?' They had a special reception for them after the program and their own personalized cakes made by Debbie G. were served. It was a really nice evening and Susan never did get nervous. She is excited about going to Youth Group next week.

On Thursday, I met a friend at Riverside and had that incredible cold salad plate that they serve. I went to Miller's and the fabric store next to it. I bought 4 yards of fleece with frogs all over it and want to teach Susan how to make herself a tie comforter. I went to Lindsay's and met with her and Catherine to discuss craft ideas that we think would bring the generations of women together for fellowship at our church. Adi woke up from her nap and began to cry and I got to be the one who rescued her from her crib. She was so happy and snuggled tight against me for awhile. Emma woke up too and just sat at the table and watched and smiled. Then I went to Walmart. No one should ever have to leave the warmth and happiness of the Banton home to go into Walmart at the first of the month. I saw Karen in there and hugged her for my own moral support. Came home and made Walmart pizzas and enjoyed my eve. with Phil, Susan, and Michael.

On Friday eve., I showed Susan how to make her fleece blanket. I cut in the edges four inches deep and she tied them together. It took us about an hour.

On Sat. over 350 people New Lifers met in the basement of our church to get organized for Farmville First. We had planned weeks ago to meet on this day and go out and serve our community. It was significant to me that God knew all about the horrors that would take place in Farmville several weeks ago and He had us lined up, ready to go out and bless a community and overcome evil with good. It was an amazing day. There was a group up at Haley's with tents and big inflatable toys for the children to play in. There was face painting, cotton candy, clowns with balloons, free hot dogs and drinks, and folks representing their cycles and Jesus. Al0t of teams were out cleaning up the streets and sidewalks and inviting folks to our church service the next day. Some guys were out delivering firewood and others were washing people's windows. There were free oil changes at a local garage. Three groups of women went to the three different Laundromats in town and gave out quarters to help with laundry. I went to one of the laundromats in town with Doris, Glenda, Theresa, and Shirley. We had a great time. Some of the people shared with us that they didn't have the money to do laundry. They talked about how God blessed them. One had prayed that God would make this an easier day for her. At least four of our new friends came to church the next day. It was good for our church and it was good for the community. Alot of the church folks want to do the same thing this Sat. I know they don't realize the mass amount of organization it took to pull this off. I think they should just go ahead and do things for others and not wait for the church to organize it. I know that when I drove home that afternoon, and saw my neighbor's wash on the line, I wanted to take it down and fold it for her. But I did find out that people like to fold their own laundry. I don't blame them.
It felt good to help our community and fill it with God's goodness. I only heard good things from everyone. The hardest thing to do was to convince people that we were giving them something for 'free', that no strings were attached. I forgot to mention that we all wore bright red t-shirts with blue words-"Farmville First." Some folks who did not go to our church joined us with cleaning up the streets when they found out what we were doing.
We brought Haley home with us to spend the night. What a sweetie she is.

Sunday-Our church met outside at the Riverfront field in Farmville. Alot of us brought our own chairs and some of our men had gone to alot of work to set up hundreds of folding chairs. The worship team and pastor were on a platform. There was a children's area set up with inflatable children's equipment, a nursery center, portapotties, and an outdoor kitchen center where they were grilling hot dogs and hamburgers for a free lunch after service. The weather was perfect. We sat in back with some of my favorite people-the Bantons and the Davis'. Little Rider let me hold him even while his mom was right there. Phil gave him his pen and helped him draw. I gave him lots of kisses and he laid his little head down on my shoulder. Lindsay was passing out strawberry licorice ropes. How wonderful to have church out in the glorious sunshine and breeze while eating red licorice, worshipping God, and basking in His goodness. I thought that this must be what Heaven will be like.
Phil and I went to Richmond after the service. He showed me the scope of work he and the boys and Rock Raymond will be doing at the Benedictine Abbey. Brother Nolte, the construction coordinator for this project, gave me the tour. He took me into the chapel where there was natural lighting casting its glow on the statues of Jesus. Phil told him, "My wife would live in here." We saw the 'Shroud of Turin' room. This is one of the leading research centers of the 'Shroud of Tirun' in the United States. Nolte is going to Europe to see the real shroud. We saw the actual lifesized reproductions of the shroud. They were stretched on panels of glass with light behind them. I could see Jesus' face, the stripes on his back and legs, the wounds on his hands and feet, the crown marks, etc. Scientists have figured out just how quickly the resurrection took place and the power of energy that was needed to infuse the blood stains and the outline of his face and body into the cloth that was wrapped around and underneath Him. I don't have words to describe this, really.
We drove around Richmond and looked at beautiful homes and dreamed about the one we want to build someday soon. We came back home and I got comfortable in my fall sweats and flannel shirt. What a great day. What a great weekend.

2 comments:

Jeanne said...

Sounds like a wonderful week. Speedy recovery to Michael, congratulations to Susan, and my heart also hopes that you and Phil can one day build your dream too.

Annie said...

Thank you Jeanne! I hope your dreams come true too. All of them.