Friday, July 9, 2010

The Happiness Project

I have finished reading the book, "The Happiness Project" by Gretchen Rubin.
I realize why I have so many books on the go.
I am reluctant to say good-bye to any of them.
But I finished Gretchen's book
because it was based on a 12 month project of hers,
and I needed to round off the months to an even dozen.

I loved what she wrote in her November month about 'the joyous ones.'
I read it at a timely time and desperately needed
the understanding words.
Maybe you'll like it too.
Here are some excerpts.
It looks like alot but it is really not more
than a full page in her book.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"...A prayer attributed to Saint Augustine of Hippo includes the line
"shield your joyous ones.":

"Tend your sick ones, Lord Jesus Christ;
rest your weary ones; bless your dying ones;
soothe your suffering ones; pity your afflicted ones;
shield your joyous ones.
And all for your love's sake."

At first, it struck me as odd that among prayers for the "dying" and "suffering" is a prayer for the "joyous." Why worry about the joyous ones?

Once I started trying to give positive reviews, though, I began to understand how much happiness I took from the joyous ones in my life-and how much effort it must take for them to be consistently good-tempered and positive.

It is easy to be heavy; hard to be light.

We nonjoyous types suck energy and cheer from the joyous ones; we rely on them to buoy us with their good spirit and to cushion our agitation and anxiety. At the same time, because of a dark element in human nature, we're sometimes provoked to try to shake the enthusiastic, cheery folk out of their fog of illusion-to make them see that the play was stupid, the money was wasted, the meeting was pointless. Instead of shielding their joy, we blast it. Why is this? I have no idea. But that impulse is there."

She wrote some of this in her blog and got some responses.

"This entry almost made me cry. As one of the joyful ones, I agree wholeheartedly that it can be draining too, and it takes so little to show your appreciation."


And another response to her blog..."...I am also a joyous one. I choose to be. I choose it every day. I have recently gone through a traumatic breakup because my boyfriend SO couldn't stop blasting my joy. And yet also unrelentingly drawing upon it like a drowning person in a sea. I felt as if I was being pulled under more every day. I had to go or I wouldn't be able to breathe anymore..."
~~~~~~~~~~~
Gretchen continued..."These comments reminded me that the joy of the joyous ones wasn't inexhaustible or unconquerable. I started to make a real effort to use my good cheer to support the joyous ones I knew....."

She decided to play Pollyanna's 'glad game' and determine to make no negative comments for a solid week. She knew that she should 'act the way she wanted to feel' (one of her keys to happiness), and if she wanted to feel enthusiastic, warm, and accepting, she wasn't going to get there by constantly making sniping comments.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I highly recommend Gretchen Rubin's book.
It's a keeper so I won't be loaning mine out.
If you want to find out more about creating your
own happiness project, go to the Happiness Project
Toolbox Web site, http://www.happinessprojecttoolbox.com/

I especially enjoyed her 12 commandments
written on page 10 of her book,
and also 'The Secrets of Adulthood"
written on page 11.

I might have to start reading this book again
because I am not quite willing to let the
friendship I feel towards the book
and its author escape me.

No comments: