Monday, July 19, 2010

Hertzler Doings-July 19-25, 2010

Mon.-Song through the night-"Jesus, You're glorious." Philip left for Kid's Camp early this morning and after I said good-bye to him, I went back to bed and woke up at 10:45! I must have needed that sleep! I did wash and finished a sewing project. Also made a little mattress, cover, and pillow for Emma's Angelina Mouse Birthday Party coming up. The girls (Susan and Makenzie) made funnel cakes. They dipped Reeses bars in the last bit of batter and fried them and they were insane. (The fried Reeses) I'll start my wedding diet tomorrow. They watched Lord of the Rings and I took some pictures of them with Susan's camera because they both fell asleep. Michael had a very successful day selling Cutco and Freeman and Phil are working on silage. The trusses are not ready for the Gilliam house and the corn needs cutting and Philip was going to camp so everything has worked out really well with the scheduling.

I am thankful for a day to relax.

I am thankful that David was a man who pursued after God's heart, even though He made many mistakes. He never stopped wanting God. It's not about being perfect. Its about being intent on finding God. It's about making sure that God doesn't get lonely because YOU are around Him, and you are being His friend. P. Yancey says that 'Lusty King David' broke every rule except the one that says, "Love the Lord with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength."

I am thankful for Michael's success and all that he is learning in the process.

Tues.-Night Song-"Everlasting, Your light will shine when all else fades..." Phil slept until almost 8. He had been silage gassed yesterday as had Freeman. It made them funny in the head. Now they tell me. Ray, Freeman, and Phil working around the farm. Michael selling Cutco. He was out walking on the trail in town late last night with a guy friend. I gasped a little and he said, "Don't worry; I had my big knife." Good thing I just read 'Wild at Heart.' Susan and Makenzie helped with some jobs. I ran out to the chiropractor and stopped at Janelle's to clean out destructibles in her fridge. I know that's not the right word-destructibles...things that will rot before she gets back...what do you call them?! perishables!!! Thank you very much! Read about John the Baptist today. He said he was not worthy to carry Christ's sandals. If I remember correctly, sandals in that culture, when given to another to hold, have a deeper meaning. It has to do with making a covenant and the giving of authority. I don't think John was just talking about shoes.

Took Makenzie and Susan down to the river. They were upstream, screaming bloody murder, and I had to check on them to make sure everything was alright. Makenzie had perfected her scary smile and it made Susan scream. Here I thought it was the other way around. She flashed her new look at me and I had to scream, too. I sat down river right below the rapids so the minnows couldn't nibble at my feet. I read more of the book "Disappointment with God." I wish I had written this book. I found myself weeping for God. You have to read this book. It is an easy read, but it is deep. You'll love it.

The girls invited Meredith and Bethany over for a fireside supper. Bethany was busy with VBS but Mer came and they had a great time. Freeman spent the eve. at mystery drama practice and Michael had two Cutco appts. He is enjoying meeting new people and finding out about their lives. Philip is at camp. Phil is still working in the fields. He wears a straw hat for shade but his face is brown and his wrinkles are handsome.

I am thankful for another day of rest.

I am thankful for Philip Yancey's (Disappointment with God) ability to help me see things from God's perspective.

I am thankful for church leaders who prayed for a friend and her family today.

I am thankful for the calcium from Dr. F. that helps me sleep. I ran out of it and haven't been sleeping.

Wed.-Susan and Makenzie babysat for around 17 children today at the Daily Grind. I joined the Mom's and More group as a 'mentor mom' just for today. I was so impressed with these women and their depth in God and their deep hopes and needs. I took Mak and Susan to the new Mexican Restaurant on High Street. Then we picked up Kelli and went Putt-Putting. I won! Got some ice cream and/or slushies at the Dairy Queen and back to Walmart. Went to the theatre to see 'Inception.' It was an exciting movie but I have no idea what it meant and never gave the movie another thought. It reminded me that our culture says that there are no absolutes. It was a movie where dream and reality were all mixed up together and it was hard to tell what was what. I don't need to see it again. We went to McDonald's for a bit of supper and then back to Walmart. I was watching the girls for awhile and they didn't realize it. They had Makenzie in the cart and were making such a ruckus that half of the store was watching them. Then Susan ran over Kelli's foot. Kelli took aim at Susan's leg and yelled something at her and they were hysterically laughing and I wanted to bolt. An older gentleman said, "You look happy." Kelli said, "I am not happy! She just ran over my foot!" It had to hurt. She had little cotton shoes on and Makenzie was in the cart. She limped the whole way out to the car and I followed at a healthy distance. We bought crickets and I dropped the girls off at church and went back to Walmart for real this time.

I am thankful that I am still pretty good at miniature golfing.

I am thankful for the girls and that three is not a crowd in this case.

I am thankful for vanilla ice cream cones dipped in chocolate coating.

Thurs.-Took Makenzie to Madison Heights where we met Lynn and her friend Stephanie, at Walmart. Susan put Makenzie in the cart and they took Susan's school list and got almost of all if done in about 10 min. We ate together at the Sonic and then parted ways. Susan and I went to the mall where we looked in every store with shoes to try to find silver ones for the wedding. Just as we were ready to leave, we checked out a bridal store. The lady was so helpful and we found comfortable shoes that were dyeable. So, we bought them and Susan will pick them up on Saturday when she is out celebrating Makenzie's birthday with her family. I went to Dianna's in the eve. Steve and Phil were both busy with other things. It was good to catch up with her.

I am thankful that I don't live near the mall.

I am thankful that we found Susan shoes!

I am thankful that Makenzie is so precious to us that I have to cry when she leaves.

Fri.-Caught up on wash and some cleaning. Made some chicken breasts for sandwich meat. Susan and I went over to the new neighbors to introduce ourselves. We drove over on the gator. These folks are from California and this will be their vacation home. Wonderful people.

Susan and I got our hair cut in the afternoon and Freeman, Susan, Phil and I went to Freeman and Alli's kitchen shower in the eve. Had a blast! At one point, we dressed the bride and groom in toilet paper to get them ready for the wedding. Freeman looked like Lazarus. Alli looked like a bride. Michael is in Roanoke overnight at a Cutco Conference. He wore a suit. He was awarded a trophy. Philip got back from Kid's Camp and then went to Pa. with Christi's family. We haven't seen him at all.

I am thankful for the Leslies, Hannah, and Tommy, Pastor Betty and Patsy for throwing such a great shower for Freeman and Alli.

I am thankful for Alli's family and how easy they are to love.

I am thankful for Dianna, who talked me through an 'emotional meltdown' mid-day.
Sat.-Susan and I cleaned the house. I took her to CCA where we met Lynn and Makenzie around 2:00. Susan is going with them to Lynchburg for the night to celebrate Makenzie's 13th birthday. They will be going to the mall, the theatre, and to Logan's and will be hanging out at a motel for the night. All Makenzie wanted for her birthday was Susan. I went to Walmart and Krogers afterwards.Michael's been in Roanoke yesterday and overnight for a Cutco Conference. He won a big trophy and got to talk to some of the top guys and pick their brains. When Michael goes after something, he usually obtains it. He was so excited when he got home. We bought chicken bbq for supper from Trinity's building fund raiser. Our new neighbors came over and we had a wonderful time eating together. We used Michael's Cutco table knives to cut up our chicken. Kathy(neighbor) is involved in the drama dept. of her church. Knows all about musicals, backdrops, etc. This has been a mission field for her. Some of those in the dramas have started coming to their church. The kids have more fun being in the drama than hanging out at the local joint. Her husband, Tom, and her daughter, Kelly, and husband Dan, and their two girls, Sloane and Blythe were all delightful. We are looking forward to more times together with them. Kathy had told Michael earlier that this neighborhood was so friendly. Then she said, 'Well, actually, you are the only folks we've met in this neighborhood so far.' Made me realize that our family represents a community. Our family represents the church and/or school we attend. Our family represents the God we serve. Everyone living represents a much greater arena than just the space around them.
I am thankful that John Hertzler was in our lives for as long as he was.
I am thankful that on my posting on facebook-'In Loving Memory of John Hertzler-and his birthdate and his other date-July 24, 2005; that many people wrote their memories of him. I am thankful for the soul-filling pride I felt when I read them.
I am thankful for the return of the eagle. He showed himself the day we received the news about Johnny, and he showed himself again today. This time our new neighbor saw him too. Her family tried to tell her it was probably a vulture but she was quite sure it was an eagle.
Sunday-Great morning at church. Loved the song, 'How Great is our God'. Pastor Rob can preach, teach, and relate to people all at the same time. He mixes the power and goodness of God in His Word with the humanity of the people he loves and serves and he does it naturally, I think, and it is good. Today he preached on Leaving a Lion-killing Legacy for your Loved ones. His text was 11 Sam. 23:20-23. 'Live a life in such a way that it's worth telling stories about...Will your great-grandchildren know your name?" I haven't blogged a sermon for awhile due to an agonizing sort of paranoia that sets in after I do so, plus, I try to spend the time I'd spend on a sermon writing on my mother's blog, but today's sermon renders some space here because I have been working on killing lions and leaving a legacy so I will tuck it into my Sunday diary.
Sunday Sermon:
1-If you want to kill lions. you have to be willing to chase the lions. Lion chasers choose fear. Why? Because the scariest moments in our lives are usually the greatest moments of our lives. The cure for fear of failure? Failure. Let go of pride. Satan's main tactics are discouragement and fear. So often we play into his hand. (These are the lion's I must kill-discouragement and fear.) Lion chasing increases uncertainty but it also reduces regret. How many of you want to die with many regrets? 'I want to be an interesting old grandpa and I don't want to have to lie.' Lion Chasing will complicate your life. It will cost you something. It complicates our lives in the way it should, unlike sin, which complicates our lives in the way it shouldn't. Many times, we have brought upon ourselves the difficulties we face. Lion Chasers understand the butterfly affect. Sometimes it is the small things, the small acts of courage, that produce the greatest ripple affect.
2-If you want to kill lions you have to climb hills. If you want to increase your endurance physically, as in jogging, you have to climb hills. Then running on level ground seems much easier. We don't run our spiritual race with endurance because we are unwilling to run the hills. Spiritually speaking, what are our hills? Studying the Word of God, praying, fasting, meditating, serving, and other spiritual disciplines. Hills=Discipline. Discipline turns into desire eventually. Champions are not made in the ring; they are exposed there. Champions are made in the night when no one else is around to see them train. Adversity gives us opportunities to distinguish ourselves. Look at Corrie Ten Boom and Abe Lincoln. Their adversities defined them. It takes the heat of the fire to make the pottery of our lives durable. The more we grow, the bigger God gets. The bigger God gets, the smaller our lions become. Dreams are achieved one opportunity at a time. How often do we wait for the Big Opportunity to come along, and discard the little opportunities that come our way that would prepare us for the Big one? Be faithful in small things. Samuel was a boy servant. Elisha was an intern. Nehemiah was a cup bearer. He tasted wine for the king to make sure it wasn't poisoned. (The King trusted him not to poison it after he tasted it. He was the last person to handle the wine.) You can do nothing wrong so well that you do nothing right. We can stay safe and hidden so that we don't make mistakes with the talent God gave us, and therefore, do nothing right with that talent either.
3-If you want to kill lions you have to wear the right equipment. Wear the belt of truth-dig into the Word of God. Wear the Breastplate of righteousness and the Gospel of peace sandals, ready to go. Carry the shield of faith;raise a standard and put on the helmet of salvation which protects your mind. Wield The Sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God. You are a carrier of the Sword when the Word of God exudes out of you.
Run the race with endurance because you are surrounded with a great cloud of witnesses, and (just as Jesus endured His race for the joy set before Him-(you were the joy set before Him) so we run the race for the joy set before us-(He is the joy set before us.))~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Our new neighbors, Dan and Kelly came to church. They really enjoyed it and felt at home. They're staying at a motel in town until their house gets ready. Phil and I went to CCA to meet Susan and Makenzie, Sam, and Lynn. She had a great time in Lynchburg yesterday and today. She went to the mall and picked up her silver shoes, saw a movie, ate at Logan's and at Cracker Barrel. Makenzie's cousin Caroline made it a threesome and they had fun. Freeman and Alli had BLT's ready for us when we got home. Susan and Phil took a nap. Alli and Freeman watched 'The Lord of the Rings.' Chase, Travis, and Jordan came and went swimming and fishing with Michael. Philip came home late afternoon. He had a wonderful time at camp and a great time with Christi at her family's reunion. We heard there were bad storms in Pa. Janelle and Micah, on their way back home here, encountered such bad rain that people were pulled off to the side of the road. I wish it would come down here.
I am thankful for a day of rest.
I am thankful for the refreshing service at church.
I am thankful for the courage God gives me to wait and the courage God gives me to act and the wisdom to know when to do either one.
I am thankful for Restorative Justice and that a heart that embraces can also wait and see if the depth of repentance reaches into the inner circle and bears fruit worthy of repentance. It can wait to see if the prodigal returned to make things right or if they returned because they had no where else to go or perhaps a bit of both. It can wait with hope and reservation. It is not in a hurry to make a judgment. It can wait.

No comments: