Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Homesick No Longer

I've been homesick for most of this year. Between my mother's illness, my sister's sorrow, and a best friend's trauma, well,-I just wanted to be there with them.

It makes it hard to live in one place when half of your heart is in another.

I knew God would take care of them without me there, but it was still hard.

Then something happened to change all that.
Two things really.
Janelle and Micah moved down.
So now, three-eighths of the Hertzler family lives down here.

But the main thing that happened was this:
I took a little drive.
I drove down a rocky lane about 5 miles from here.
When I reached my destination,
I saw a trailer on 6 acres.
I saw Freeman and Alli's new home.
And something good happened inside me.

I realized anew that this is where we are supposed to be.
I realized that this will be the home for future generations
of our Hertler family.
I realized that my grandchildren will be born here.

And suddenly, miraculously really,
I wasn't homesick anymore,
and I am glad.

It's been a long, rough year.
I am looking forward to a better year ahead,
for my mother, my sister, my dear friend,
and myself.

2 comments:

Jeanne said...

What a lovely thought. Home is wherever you are...and yes, you're putting down roots here.

Annie said...

yes, and so are you. I haven't forgotten our river date...