Monday, July 26, 2010

Hertzler Doings-July 26-Aug.1, 2010

Mon.-Song in the night-'This is what it looks like when Heaven comes down.' I was hearing it so much in my head that I scribbled some thoughts down. ' This is what it looks like when heaven comes down...a baby lying in a manger..Immanuel, God with us. God in Christ, reconciling the world to Himself...The love the Father and the Son have for each other abiding in us, making us one. This is what it looks like when Heaven comes down.' Song in the morning-'I can see a light that is shining for the heart that holds on...There will be an end to these troubles but until that day comes...I will praise You...still I will praise You.' Woke Susan up at 5 and left at 6:30 to meet the youth group at New Life. They are going to Kings Dominion today. Michael house sitting for the Guilds and met everyone at NL. Chase, Travis, and Jordan are riding with him. Went out for coffee with a friend afterwards and caught up with her life. Came home to an empty house and am catching up on blogging and face book, washing, cleaning the car and our bedroom. I love days like this. Phil picked up Susan at NL around 10:15. She had a blast. Waited in line for an hour for a 2 min. ride. I can't even think about that one. New neighbor's little girl in hospital with headache and vomiting. MRI tomorrow...

Tues.-'I can see a light in the darkness for the heart that holds on...' Sometimes I hear 'I can see a light that is coming for the heart that holds on...' Not sure which is the original writer's words but both are true. Over and over I hear Pastor Alvin's voice singing those words with passionate abandonment. Singing it in my head 24/7. Glorious rain today. Susan slept in until 3 this afternoon. You heard me right. Made chicken breasts, sloppy jo mix, turkey tortilla chili, beef tortilla chili, and blueberry cheese cake in preparation for wedding weekend. The guys were rained out at the job site. (Phil and Philip went back to work later.) Freeman went to work on his place. Philip and Michael worked on their room and rec room.

I am thankful for Susan's sleep.
She needed it.
I am thankful that Kelli is going to find an answer
and will feel better soon.
I am thankful that our little neighbor girl
is fine.
I am thankful for the rain and the cooling down of the hot earth.

Wed.-Song in the morn.-"I can see a light that is shining for the heart that holds on..."
I got odds and ends done today-washing, cooking beans, harvesting beets, cleaning up outside, exercising, etc. Took Susan to church in eve. Went walking with Lindsay and Adi.

I am thankful that when our air conditioning is fixed, it will be so much cooler.
I am thankful that I had another vehicle to drive when I couldn't take the car because it looked like rain and the window doesn't go up.
I am thankful that I didn't have to go to Walmart because I didn't have anywhere to put groceries in the truck in case it rained.
I am thankful for the fun I had watching Lindsay do the hoola hoop game on her Wii.
I am thankful that I didn't injure myself too badly when I tried to do it too.
I am thankful that Emma turned 4 today.
I am thankful for Gil's sense of humor and that the coffee he drank tonight won't affect his sleep because he needs it. I am thankful that Lindsay will read this and laugh.

Thurs.-Took car to Davis. Gil picked Susan and I up and took us to house until Judy picked us up and took us back to Davis's. Car semi ready. Needs regulator for car window. I brought car back home and Judy came back with us and worked for a good 5 hours on sewing on family garments for wedding. She took Susan's dress in and then it was too tight so she had to let it out. She sewed one strap on and then we couldn't find the other so she made two new ones from the fabric of the shawl. Dear friend! She measured Phil and Freeman's pants and will get them back to us tomorrow.

I am thankful for the generosity of friends. Lindsay generously gave us her space. Judy gave us her time and talent. Judy acts mad when I want to figure out a way to pay her back. 'I thought you told me we're family,"she said. "Families do this for each other.
I am thankful for Phil's over the top handsomeness in his black shirt and black suit.
I am thankful that I have a barn to park the car under in case of rain.

Fri.-Air conditioner 'fixed' today. Cool air makes all the difference on my spirituality unfortunately. Needs a new element. Old one completely rusted with ice formed over it. Looks like something from a horror movie. Eldon and Sandy Stoltz~~~ and their daughter, Keri, came for lunch today after checking out the next door property. He is an architect and will be helping Phil to restore the house to it's original state. Michael came in and asked Phil to look at Sampson. His leg was all swollen. He was very thirsty but didn't want to eat or get up. Michael took him to the vet and Susan and I went to Appomattox to run errands. Michael called and told us it would be good to come to the animal hospital to say good bye to Sampson. Phil, Freeman, and Philip came soon afterwards and the six of us gathered around our old friend, weeping and saying our good-byes. Even the nurse cried as she asked Michael to sign release papers. Michael stayed with him for his final moments and brought him back home and buried him near the river he loved. Sampson was 13 years old. He lived 3 years longer than most boxers do. I think it was his love for us that kept him alive. The vet thinks he had a tumor and that it cut off the circulation to his leg. 13 years ago, I was taking Michael to swimming lessons and we stopped by a farm to check out their boxer puppies. Michael fell in love and with shining eyes he asked his daddy if he could have a puppy. His daddy wrote him a big one word answer-"Absolutely." And we have loved him ever since. We have a picture of him as a puppy, with Susan's pacifier in his mouth. Susan says that she has no memories without him; that he has always been there. We will miss him. I will miss his devoted adoration. He loved me unconditionally. Now I have another loved one to look forward to seeing in heaven. I have no doubt that he'll be there.

I am thankful for the kind nurses and vet who cared for Sampson and our family today.
I am thankful for the way Sampson taught me how to live.
I am thankful for the 13 years we had him.

Sat.-As I sat at my desk this morning, I watched Angel and Roxy sniffing the ground, picking up Sampson's scent, and looking all over for him. I feel sad for them. Went to Emma's 4th Birthday Party. Gil and Lindsay have taught their daughters how to share, be grateful, and to think. It's always a joy to see this family function. Went to Roses, Goodwill, and Walmart. Came home and Susan and I both so exhausted we did jobs like crazy on commercials and watched 3 Mystery Women shows on TV. I haven't been sleeping well for at least a month. It's starting to catch up.

I am thankful for the Bantons. I am thankful for the sound of abundance of rain. I am thankful that it didn't rain until we got home, since our back window is broken.

Sun.-Went to church. Some of the thoughts I came away with during and after the sermon were the following: Faith is believing in God even when He doesn't do the things you are believing Him for. Faith is being committed to God regardless of what you see or don't see. Faith continues going forward, believing in God, even during the mundane day to day activities of life. It takes more faith to believe that when I die, I will go to heaven, than it does to believe that God will heal me here and keep me from death. ~~~~~Walked to the river in the afternoon and visited Sampson's grave. Sat on the beach and threw stones in the river, naming my concerns as I cast my cares on Him. Visited my prayer chapel and regained some peace. Kelli and Susan are running around outside and Alli and Freeman also went to visit Sampson's grave. Phil, Susan, Kelli, and I visited Tom and Helen down at the river. They brought some guests and invited us to join them. We made pies with homemade bread and apple pie and cherry filling. We buttered the back sides of the bread and put the filling in and held them over the fire in iron sandwich skillets. So good, esp. when made with chips instead of bread. I am thankful for a day of rest. I am thankful for the friend who found me before church and told me that she's been praying for me all week. I am thankful for the break in the weather. I am thankful for Jesus and that the life which I now live in my flesh, I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me. I am thankful that Phil and all of our children and their special friends, and Kelli, are all in the living room together. I love when the people I love are all together under one roof.

No comments: