Monday, November 15, 2010

Cutting off Ears

Peter was upset.
He was asleep and Jesus woke him up...again.
Then, the soldiers and the mob came and grabbed Jesus.
They were like animals wanting to kill.

Peter took his sword and went for a head.
Oops. He got only an ear.
Jesus took the ear and put it back on.
What the world?!
What was He saying?
"Put your sword away.
Don't you know I could call thousands of angels
to come and deliver me?
But then how would the Scriptures be fulfilled,
that things must happen this way?"Matthew 26
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Psalmist said that all our days are written in a book.

I wonder how many times I try to prevent
the things that are written there?
I say, "I will not allow my child to go through this.
I will not go through this myself."

I take out my sword and go for some heads,
but Jesus fixes what I've destroyed in the process
of refusal,
and says,
"This is what is written in your book.
This is what you must go through.
This is what you must learn.
This is your cross, your death, your resurrection.

Don't miss it for anything
and don't read ahead.

And remember, I am with you always,
to the end of your book and beyond."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I haven't quite put my sword away.
I've thought about laying it down
but that would mean that I fully trust Him
and He and I know better than to pretend
that that's true.

But someday soon,
I hope to lay it down,
and it will be melted by His fire
and shaped into a plow.

And instead of lopping off the
ears of perceived enemies,
I will be feeding them
the produce
from my garden.

No comments: