Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Hertzler Doings~November 1-7,2010

Mon.-Washing, Cleaning, Cooking turkey, succotash, baked potato salad, and tossed salad. Picked up Susan from school and headed for Lynchburg to buy the dear growing child some clothing. Found great deals at Penney's. On the way home, just out of Lynchburg on 460, Susan began saying, "Deer, deer, DEER! DEER!.." and I suddenly realized she meant 'Watch out for the DEER!" Crossing the left lane, a huge buck lumbered slowly across 460, and I slammed my brakes hard, just missing him I don't know how. We kept thanking God and our hearts were pounding for quite some time. Then we got silly and it was too cold to put the windows down. We were doing some stand up comedy sitting down in the car. Susan said the buck was suicidal. I thought he was just confused.

I am thankful that the goodness of God's character does not change and if we were killed tonight, it would not have changed His goodness and I am thankful that life's circumstances were good to us tonight, and for those around us who would surely have been injured as well.
I am thankful for a warm house and as much hot water as we need.
I am thankful that Phil is giving Susan a chance to train Roco instead of giving him away like he thought he was going to do.

Tues.-Good day at school although I found myself being a bit short on fun and patience due to fretting over the fact that we only have two more classes after today to learn our Christmas songs and one of the classes were not settling down and getting to work. Up to this point, it's been fun and games but now we need to get down to business. There was a pep rally at the end of school for the Servathon. Select Choir practiced their two songs and Susan and Graham practiced 'Silent Night' with Graham playing the guitar. Susan and I went to Millie's to look for a jacket for her and then she went to Baine's to buy a smoothie with a gift certificate that someone had passed on to her. They had just won it at the pep rally but never went to Baine's so Susan jokingly said, "Can I have it?" and he said, "Sure." We went to vote at the fire hall. I was number 645. There was 1 1/2 hours left to vote and more than half of the registered voters had voted by the time I got there. It was the busiest I've ever seen it. We came home and put away the groceries I had bought in the morning and made some sausage and egg sandwiches for supper. Phil went over to Freeman, wherever he was, and helped him load his buck on the truck. Freeman butchered it here. Michael is in Richmond. Philip went to vote and trap. Susan was busy with her bunnies and Roco, chores, and homework. Just found out the Hurt won by a close margin. I did wash and cleaned up a bit and am hoping to hit the sack before 10.

I am thankful for strength for the day.
I am thankful that although my neck hurts from last nights braking, it was helped with some pain meds. I am thankful for the responses I got on face book when I told them I was drinking tea out of my mug that says, "Things could be worse...we could be trying on swim suits." I asked them what their favorite mug said and I got many responses. I felt like I had a cup of tea/coffee with all those who responded.

Wed.-Good day at school. Susan is undertaking Roco's discipline at home. So far this week, he has killed a rabbit and a chicken and he's considered taking down a cow or two. So far today, he's left his mark all over the place in the boy's entry room and scratched up Philip's truck and chased a little dog that has yet to return to it's owners. We think he might need to go to a better home. He reminds me of a preadolescent who is good natured but doesn't know his boundaries. He welcomes discipline. He just doesn't know any better but he's learning fast.
In the eve., Missi and I went to Judy's. Judy was mending PLou's jacket and I sewed a few things of my own and played with Sammy Jo. It was a great time and I haven't laughed like that for awhile.
I am thankful that Dr. F. saw me tonight and explained how I slammed on the brakes with both feet and that is why my ankle is twisted and my wrists are so sore and my neck is a mess, etc. I've been getting achier each day. I am thankful for the way my second graders gathered around me and sang their song while I played the guitar. We decided to do it that way for the program. I am thankful for a warm house and the warm smiles my husband gives me. I am thankful for two more deer for the freezer.

Thurs.-Practiced some Christmas songs in chapel. For art, we made little owl scene using construction paper, paint, and googly eyes. They turned out beautifully and are hanging in the hallway. One of the K4's told me that she didn't like music but she likes art. I was a bit uptight yesterday because they weren't getting their song so I kept making them sing it over and over. I don't have many practices left before the program. I realized after she said that, that music should be fun for little kids her age, and I am going to lighten up and not worry so much if they get it together. I'll go in their room and practice with them several times a week for a minute or two instead of making them sing the same song 5 times in a row and expecting them to remember it from one week to the next. My foot really bothered me today. Need to make about 30 bake sale calls tonight and tomorrow. Michael was home tonight. He's going out for a Cutco demonstration and then will leave for Liberty for a Weekend later tonight. Phil and Philip are out hunting.
I am thankful for leftovers. I am thankful for my friends at school. I am thankful for chapel and liturgy and the comfort of familiar words. I am thankful for my brother-in-law, Johnny, who would have turned 41 today. I am so thankful that I knew him from the time he was 12 until he was 36. He really was the one who gave me my gray hair. I noticed them first the morning after the Thai benefit banquet and then more after I emceed at their wedding reception, etc. I missed him today. I spent a good half hour in the chapel playing songs about heaven. I tried to sing them but couldn't very well. I love and miss you Johnny.

Fri.-When Phil and I woke up this morning, Philip had a story to tell. Michael, Travis, and Jordan were headed to Liberty For a Weekend last night. It was raining. They were on 633, not far from our place. Michael warned Travis to slow down at a particularly bad corner. Travis did. Suddenly, his steering gave out and they went off the road, taking down a mailbox and a sign, and bouncing through a ditch and coming to a stop at a stone wall. They were all wearing their seat belts. Michael couldn't get out his passenger side and had to crawl out Travis's door. He called Philip before he even tried getting out. So Philip went to be with them. He arrived a few seconds before the police, and the ambulance and firetruck came shortly afterwards. Pizza and Dr. Pepper were all over the car. Michael picked up a piece of pizza. One of the firemen told him that there were probably shards of glass all over it and Michael blew on it and proceeded to eat it. The windows were shattered but they were still in place. Travis's car is totalled. His dad came and got him last night and Jordan came here. Michael was planning to go to Liberty tomorrow but he's gotten increasingly sore all day. He bumped his head on the sunroof and that is tender but his back muscles are bothering him the most. The road was slick where they had the accident and there have been other accidents there. I saw a car on its roof mid day one time. I am so thankful that they are alive and basically well. Thank you, Thank you, God. It seems we have had a lot of close calls lately and I thought about the verse, 'When the enemy comes in like a flood, the Spirit of the Lord raises up a standard against him,' and I began to thank Him for that standard that He has raised.

I made some chocolate dipped pretzel rods and caramel corn for the bake sale. Also made chili with macaroni for Chi Alpha and chicken tortilla mix and venison tortilla mix and we should have food for a day or two. Made 20 some calls for the bake sale to remind people about what they wanted to bring and to tell them where they should bring it. Have iced my foot several times today. Susan had a good day at school. Michael went to Jordan's and now they are back here for the night. Freeman shot a big doe with his flint lock this evening. I'm ready to call it quits and hit the sack and it's not quite 7:30. Guess I'll watch Monk for awhile.

I am thankful that although I felt worried about the boys going off last night in the rain, I decided not to worry, and I realize that worrying wouldn't have helped at all even if the worry proved to be valid, and instead, I felt the grace of God when I heard the news, and I felt thankful through and through. I am thankful that Susan understands that it would be better for Roco to go to a new home. And I am thankful that his new owners are coming tonight to pick him up. She brought him into the house a minute ago and he put his legs on my lap and read my blog for a second. He really is so likable in a larger than life sort of way.

Sat.-Busy cleaning up outside and inside, getting ready for Chi Alpha group coming from Longwood. About 20 of them showed up around 3:45. The first thing they saw was Philip, Travis, Michael, and Jordan butchering Philip's deer. Last time, I think he was butchering a beaver. Phil took them on a hay ride around the farm. Adi wanted to stay with me so we made play dough per her request. Two of the girls came in to fill up the water container. When I came back into the house they said, 'You have a beautiful house. We like all of the verses you have posted all over your kitchen.' I thought about how frustrated I had been today with my lack of housekeeping skills and how I seem to have passed that lack on to my children. I don't notice this particular lack until we are getting ready for company and then I get uptight. But they told me my house was beautiful and when they went out the door, one of them smiled back at me and said, "God loves you, Annette." I was deeply moved because I know God loves me, but it was overwhelming to hear it said from someone I didn't know. I knew she was saying what she was hearing. I knew that God had just told me He loved me. We had a fun night. They had a soap carving contest. They carved a bar of Ivory with plastic knives and I saw an acorn, cross, cow, Christmas Tree, XA, and something else...I forget. We roasted hot dogs and extra large marshmallows. I set up a table outside so Adi and Emma could play with play dough and toys outside. At one point in the evening they took out my exercise mat and laid out my weights and stretching equipment on the front lawn. Philip said that they said, "Just one more and we'll be done." Back and forth they went on their mission. I read 'The Little Engine That Could' to Adi outside by the fire in the dark with a flashlight and I think some of the college students listened in. The Bantons stayed for awhile with us in the house after everyone else left and Philip entertained us all with his antics with the little girls. Michael, Travis, Chace, and Jordan went to Red Lobster for Travis's birthday supper. It's a yearly tradition. Earlier I had made a hot fudge sundae cake with ice cream for Travis' birthday. They liked that.
I am thankful for friends.
I am thankful for friends who are like family.
I am thankful for the beautiful sunset tonight. I was holding Emma and telling her how God was painting the sky with some sponge brushes and she said, "No, it's from the fire." And I said, "Oh, that's interesting. Is the sky pink from the fire?" "Yes." "That's nice. I didn't know that."

Sun.-Nice long time to study this morning due to change in time. Set up bake sale at church. Was in and out of church but I'll tell you my sermon for today. A father and daughter were interviewed by Pastor Rob. They had gone on a missions trip together to South Dakota. Chelsea is probably 11 years old or so. PR asked her what her most meaningful experience was. She said that she met a boy and his shoes were falling apart and she gave him some duct tape to tape them back together. It makes me cry again, just writing it. She gave him what she had. Duct tape with peace signs. If she would have given him money, it would have never gone for shoes. If she had bought him shoes, someone would have stolen them or he would have gotten hurt from an envious peer. But she gave him what she had and that's all we can do. Then, at the bake sale, I saw a young man empty his pockets of coins and put them into the gallon container that held our money. He, too, gave what he could. All in all, we made something like $820.13. Every penny will go towards helping a child to be less hungry. We think it's not that much. They'll just be hungry tomorrow. But if you were hungry today, wouldn't you like to have a dollar to buy a hamburger? It's hard to see beyond today when you are truly hungry.

After church, Amy took Susan and I to the Daily Grind and we helped Dianna and her get ready for Laurel's shower. That was fun. Laurel got alot of nice things for Baby Ivan who is due to arrive sometime this month. The food, punch, and cake was delicious. I was in my glory because I finally got to hold baby Isaac. I've been wanting to hold him for awhile now, but when his daddy holds him in church, I think I should just let him hold him, because I think he is a busy man and doesn't get to just hold his son as often as he'd like. Phil came and got us around 3 and we came home and watched a movie and I also read a book about Mozart's sister. The guys are at Travis's birthday party at his parents house. Susan is hanging out with us and texting Makenzie.

I am thankful that Roco is doing well in his new home.
I am thankful for answered prayer.
I am thankful that we got over twice as much as what I was hoping to make in the bake sale.
I am thankful for generous hearts that share duct tape and generous pockets emptied of change.

No comments: