Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Looking at you

I am reading a most wonderful book by Leo Buscaglia, Ph.D., entitled, "Living, Loving, and Learning." It is a collection of his lectures that were delivered worldwide between 1970 and 1981. I am sipping it slowly like a hot cup of mocha. It is just that good.

I read something in it a few weeks ago that has been life changing for me. It's changed how I look at my family and the children at school and others I come in contact with. He was talking about death and what it teaches us. This is what he said.

"Death isn't a spooky thing. Death teaches us the value of time. We realize how precious it is. We realize we don't have forever! Death teaches us to look and to see... and that the people we love aren't going to be the same all the time."

"We don't even look at each other any more! We're so busy doing things that we don't stop to look at each other."

He said more on the subject but because of his words, I realized how little I really look at the people around me. Susan is getting a bit weirded out when I just gaze at her so I have to be sneaky about it. Sometimes I lose track of what people are saying because I am so intent on just looking at their precious faces, but soon, I will learn how to look and listen at the same time.

No comments: