Saturday, November 27, 2010

Out of the Ashes

On Wednesday, November 24, 2010, our shop burned to the ground. In it were years of accumulation of tools, business equipment, hobby materials, and farm machinery odds and ends. Thousands of dollars gone in 20 minutes. Gone, also, the convenience of having a place to go to get anything we needed for the farm, home, or business.

Later in the day, after the fire was settled down, Mickey and Mitch, our neighbors, came down to see the damage. She put her head on Phil's shoulder and cried. Mitch was very comforting. He said to Phil, "It wasn't your fault." He quickly added, "It wasn't my fault either." Mitch is 37 and has the benefit and the challenge of being labeled as Down's' syndrome. He is wonderful.

He wanted to walk in the rubble. He put his hands in the ashes and looked for treasures. He wiped his blackened hands on Phil's pants because Phil told him to.

Someday, I hope to comfort people the way Mitch comforted my husband.
I want to put my hands in the ashes of their loss and find treasures hidden there.
I want to touch what caused them pain and wipe the residue on borrowed jeans.
I want my eyes to tear and my nose to run.

Someday, I hope to be just like Mitch.

1 comment:

L. P. Hoffman said...

And so you do, my beautiful friend!