Monday, November 22, 2010

Hertzler Doings-Nov.22-28, 2010

Mon.-Took Susan to school and went grocery shopping for Thanksgiving. Still feeling lousy. Took a nap, finished paperwork, picked up Susan, made pumpkin ice cream, took Susan to Christi's-Impact Girls, and hope to get a good night's sleep.

I am thankful that Michael is home after a day in Richmond. I am thankful that only half of Susan's face was painted blue when she got into the car after school. I am thankful that I don't have to figure out ways to use bear meat since no one in the Lucky 13 Camp or in their son's camp even saw a bear this year which was really unusual. I wonder what's with that?

Tues.-Went to school. Had chapel and then split into groups and served the community. We raked leaves, visited and sang for some older folks, worked at Gleaning for the World, rang bells at Kroger and Walmart for Salvation Army, and I am sure I am missing something. I took Jane, Olivia, and Susan to Salvation Army and we cleaned and priced items, straightened clothing, washed shelves, and took lots of funny pictures. Sharon, the boss, said that the girls were wonderful and that she was going to tell people about our school. Around 11:30, we went back to CCA and had pizza and ice cream. Little Tasha asked me to come sit with her for lunch again. As soon as I sat down she confessed, "I'm afraid of heights." "I am, too," I said. Ethan queried, "What's that mean?" "Heights?" "Yes." "It means you are afraid of being up high." "Oh," he said. "I'm afraid of the dark." Then we finished out our day at A.J.'s Skating Rink and that was really great fun. Janelle had called earlier and wanted to meet us at Baine's after school since Micah had a field trip to see the court house. We met around 3 and had tea and conversation and it was good to have some time together. I've been busy at school and at home and have had little time for anything else. I'm feeling lonely for my family and friends. (Micah wanted to show me their very nice white rental car. A deer hit their car on the way to church on Sunday. It put a big dent on the driver's side so the car is being repaired.) Susan and I went to Walmart to get our final Thanksgiving items. Michael is not feeling well-sore throat and exhaustion just like Philip and I had.

I am thankful for the kindness the teacher's show the children at school.
I am thankful that Susan really enjoyed skating. There are generations of skaters that have come before her on my mother's side. We used to skate on the ponds back on the farm. We'd build a fire on the edge of the pond and my aunt and uncle would make big kettles of real hot chocolate to warm us up while we skated.
I am thankful for Philip's kind words to Susan tonight-"You are so beautiful. You are getting more beautiful all the time."
I am thankful that I found a boxed Hess truck at Salvation Army that I am going to resell on Ebay.
I am thankful for the two new shirts I found for Michael while I was there and that he likes them very much. We also found a froggie suit for one of our new nieces or nephews that will be joining the Hertzler clan someday soon!

Wed.-Day off of school. Finally decided to call the Dr. Had an appt. for 12:40, and as I was in the bathroom getting ready to leave I heard and felt a loud boom. Susan soon came running into the house and told me to call 911 because the shop was on fire. She had already moved two of the trucks out of harms way. Phil and Michael were racing around with a hose, wetting down the milk barn, garden shed, and our house. Boom! Bang! Flames everywhere! The back door of the house was hot. The siding melted in the heat. Within 15 min., fire trucks arrived from Pamplin, Prospect, and Appomattox. There were at least 10 of them here as well as I think two ambulances. Neighbors came and strangers came and Judy and Sammy Jo came and that was best of all. We are so thankful that no one was hurt. We are thankful that the wind was blowing in the right direction. We are so thankful that we were home. Susan says she is thankful for Thanksgiving because if we weren't home, we would have lost so much more. We are thankful for the friend who called who has experienced fire himself and he said to remember that it is only stuff and to not give it another thought and he offered other help as well.

I went to the doctor later in the day and he put me on some hefty antibiotics and cough syrup with codeine. Fun. Fun. Philip had bought us pizzas for supper and Erik and April came over later in the eve.
I am thankful for our neighbor, Mickey, who had to cry for us when she saw the shop.
I am thankful for her son, Mitch, who told Phil. "It's not your fault.
He also said,"It's not mine either." They are both so precious to us.
I am thankful Phil called his parents and my mother to let them know what happened before they found out from someone else.
I am thankful that people care about us.

Thurs.-Happy Thanksgiving! Prepared house and food for company today. Janelle and Micah and her parents, Marcia and Carl came for an evening meal. I made venison with gravy, turkey, mashed potatoes, corn, pumpkin parfait, and Susan made French blueberry pie. Alli brought her delicious sweet potato casserole. Janelle brought homemade bread and broccoli/cauliflower salad. Marcia and Carl brought green beans, cranberry salad, and punch. We played Apples to Apples, Uno, and watched The Three Stooges. Christi came for supper as well, and Jordan came later in the evening. We couldn't convince him to eat any dessert from our table. Too full from his own.

Today, Phil cleaned up the aluminum and other scraps from the fire, burning what needed to be burned, sorting through the rubble. Michael and Philip helped between doing their other Thanksgiving activities. So much of our activity in the day includes something we get from the shop, whether it be work gloves, drill guns, or wheelbarrows. It's been a harder day for Phil. He is working now at the table, writing on a black smudged yellow pad, trying to inventory what was in the shop.
I am thankful that after 24 hours after being on an antibiotic, I feel so very much better. I am thankful for the game 'Apples to Apples' and the things I learned about my children as we played it. I am thankful that Susan made the blueberry pie all by herself and that it was a bigger hit than my dessert. I am thankful for the email from my mother and the phone call from Phil's mother this morning. I am thankful that Phil thanked me for always being there, for being present during the fire and not being hysterical, for bringing him water and for being the peace of God to him. I am thankful for the song in the night and the song in the day that's been singing in my head, "Out of the ashes we rise...there's no one like You...none like You."

Fri.-Another day of keeping on going while feeling numb, especially for Phil. He continues to make lists of things that were in the shop. Guys hunting and running errands. Dianna came to be with me. The Bate's came later and it's always a fun challenge to see if I can get Archer to like me. He did let me hold him for a minute or two. I gave him a baby doll and he kissed her head. Susan and I made Christmas plates for gifts. We ate leftovers all day. Watched Willy Wonka. Rosalee called to let me know they are praying. Michael and Philip started on antibiotics for same gunk I have. Michael went to Belks and bought the black woolen overcoat he's been longing for. Philip shopping with Christi. Freeman was his dad's best friend today. Making coffee, helping with list, running to Powatan to buy a chain saw. Phil, Susan, and I went to Janelle's tonight to play 'Apples to Apples' with her and her parents. On the way there, Susan told us how great it was to have parents who remained calm in a crisis and how that helped her remain calm as well. I think that meant more to me than anything-to have her say that to us.
I am thankful for my husband and family and how dear and close each one is to me especially during this time. I am thankful that the fire burned away my dullness of spirit. I am thankful for those who call and have reached out to us in visible ways, and I am thankful for those who are caring in invisible ways as well. I feel broken and carried, humbled and peaceful, uncertain and sure, and close to His heart because He is here.

Sat.-Washed, tidied the house, made scrapple, finished plates, and made a huge container of spaghetti and meat balls. Philip and Susan hunted for most of the day. Freeman helped Phil here and there and Michael and Phil cleaned up. Whatever can be burned is being burned today. We are in throw out mode and want to clean up trash that would get in our way of simplifying our lives. We are asking the question, "What do you want me to do with my life?"

We are thankful for family and friends who call and check in on how we are doing. I am thankful for time to rest this afternoon. I am thankful for Christmas movies and for the spiritual treasure in each of them, even the Santa ones.

Sun.-Woke up early and drove to my brother's cabin in W.Va. Got lost so it took us an extra 1 1/2 hours through winding mountains up and down to get there. Rosalee and Jim, Annika and Stew were there, as well as Chloe and Charlie and Daisy, David and Margaret's dear dogs. I was so sick when we arrived and Chloe stayed right with me until I got some color back into my face. They served us a huge breakfast (which I did not eat) and also lunch before we left. We sat around and talked and played 'Apples to Apples'. Philip, Michael, and Susan were talking about childhood memories on the way there. They have many good ones. I found out some things I didn't know about. It was so nice to be with my family. On the way home, I got really sick again. It was good to get home and lay down on a still bed.
I am thankful for the typed diary notes from my mother. Rosalee gave me the next edition. It is so great to read about the things we said and did as we were growing up. When I was six, I was reading everything. Mother was amazed. I also liked to dress up my little brother in girl's clothes. I don't think it did him any harm. I am thankful for the peace and beauty in the W. Va. countryside. I am thankful for solid ground.

No comments: