Friday, April 15, 2011

Hertzler Doings~April 11-17, 2011

Well, this week has flown by and I haven't written anything at all. So I am just going to try to summarize Monday through Friday in no particular order. So far this week... I went walking with Jeanne and Nanette down to the river to see the bluebells but on different nights. Jeanne-W.; Nanette-F. Also drove Nanette over to see the other property. You can drive amongst the bluebells there. Makenzie enjoyed the puppies and watched Susan form buttercream and coconut eggs. Jeanne posted pictures and told a story about our walk to the river on her blog-Seven Oaks; posted on my right side. Went out to get ice cream after school with Doreen and Graham. Doreen and I ate MooseTrack ice cream and had some interesting conversations with business owners. Canned sloppy jo-about 18 qt. Settled on 'Sheriff' for Charlie's real name. (German Shepherd puppy) I held him on my lap and rocked him and talked to him and he just looked at me as if he was memorizing my face and then he fell asleep in my arms and I thought, "Sheriff just taught me how to worship and trust." Just when I think spring can't become any brighter, it does. In school, I was invited by a smart little girl to eat lunch with her. "No one is sitting in the middle seat," she said. I grabbed at the chance. She was deep in thought earlier in the week, during music class, as she listened to the worship songs. She didn't color or play with play dough. She sat on the chair and sang along and thought. So I sat down and right away Sebastian started throwing Math questions at me. "How much is 59-11?" "48" I said without blinking an eye. He was impressed as were the others so the questions started flying. "How much is 1 minus infinity?" And so on. When there was a brief break, I said to my little smart girl, "You've been thinking alot this week. What have you been thinking about?" "My family," she smiled. Then, "How much is ....?" And she threw me a distracting math question. Susan has been making lots of eggs this week. Freeman fell between the trusses and is quite bruised. He shot a turkey this week as well. Rosalee sent an email with my brothers kind remarks about my blog that she had sent to him. Michael got a hair cut. Cut off 14 inches and sent it to Locks of Love. Beautiful red hair with blonde streaks. Choked me up. Checking into IABC Counseling Courses. Got Buddy for 9 days. Hope he stays around. Bought 2 pigs for butchering day next Tuesday. Found the perfect birthday card for my mother. Whoever wrote it must have had her for a mother. Had an hour long conversation wed night with someone in Fla. Hope and a future. What a gift. Decided never to write up my week like this again. Instead I should keep track in a notebook about each day and write it up when I can. This is a bit crazy, don't you think? Sat.-Slept in and enjoyed the sound of rain on a tin roof through the partially opened window. Phil made me two dippy eggs with two pieces of toast. He makes me breakfast every morning. I did four loads of linen wash from sheets and tablecloths from my chapel plus several other loads. Stink bugs have tried to take over down there. Apparently, scientists are trying to figure out a way to get rid of them. They came over from Asia to a town we lived close to in Pa. Epidemic problem this year especially for produce growers. Made tuna noodle casserole, taco salad topping, and split pea and ham soup. Susan dipped and wrapped eggs most of the day. It stormed several times. I cleaned up our bedroom and bathroom and wrapped small gifts for my shore girls and got my mother's bday gift and card ready to send next week. She'll be 86! Puppies are learning to eat dry food. I finished three books today-"Salt Gardens," "Little Lord Fauntleroy," and "Prayer" by Richard Foster. All were great soul enlarging, spirit uplifting books. Also reading 'The Relationship Principles of Jesus Christ" by Tom Holladay. Very good book. Also reading a book that Jeanne loaned me written by her friend, Gerri Helms, who is now my friend on facebook. She is a life coach. The book is called, "Trust God and buy broccoli." 'A Spiritual Approach to Weight Loss.' Phil burned down two barns that were weary and worn. We'll miss them on our travels to the river. Michael is in Atlanta, having flown out from Richmond this morning. He got a new suit coat, shirt and tie, for 75% off at Belk for the occasion. I think he'll be home late Sunday night. Philip went to a party in the afternoon after helping fix fence in the morning. Freeman and Alli are helping with the musical at church. Alli is ushering and Freeman is working sound. I am thankful that I hear the frontloader coming up and that Phil won't be out in the dark with the fire any more. I am thankful that the puppies slept most of the day but I am concerned what that means as far as our night goes. I am thankful that Phil gets up with the puppies and that I don't even hear them most of the time. Sunday-Palm Sunday. 'Hosanna to the Son of David'-Jesus, as He entered Jerusalem, wept over the city, because they didn't realize that the kingdom that they so longed for, had come in the person of Himself. They missed the hour because they had in mind what their Messiah would look like and how he would act and Jesus didn't behave the way they thought a Messiah should. We watched the musical later in the day and a man played 'Jesus' who hadn't before and it was so interesting to hear the different way he said the words of Jesus and I thought, "Maybe that's the way He said them!" and I felt closer to Him then I've felt for awhile. I would like to hear many people read the words of Jesus because I think I would hear something differently with each person's emphasis and voice inflection. I want to be gathered like a chick under His wings and not be disturbed when the zeal for His house consumes Him and He overturns tables in the temple. We went to Banton's after church for a wonderful lunch of chicken soup, biscuits, fresh veggies, and carrot cake. The little girls took a nap. Phil and Philip ran home quickly to get the cows away from the nails left over from yesterday's barn burning. Susan rested with her ipod on the sofa and Lindsay and I talked over tea. I will miss her. I will miss her friendship and wisdom and depth. But I can still have that. Thank God for modern communication tools. Missi told me today that Paul Sch--- fell down the stairs at EMU and hit his head and is brain dead. He is Leon's uncle-his mother's brother. I've seen his name in Mennonite circles since I was a child. Phil got on the phone with his parents this eve. and found out how to make scrapple in a large kettle and an open fire. I am thankful for the words of encouragement I received from two dear women today. Oh let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, and the words that I write, encourage others to draw near you, O Lord. I am thankful for a beautiful evening at home and the invitation to meet a friend for lunch tomorrow. I am thankful for a musical that helped me see Jesus more clearly. I am thankful that He loves all of us and that His mercies are new every morning. I am thankful that Michael is back in Richmond and I think he is coming home tonight.

No comments: