Monday, April 25, 2011

Hertzler Doings~April 25-May 1, 2011

Mon.-Did 4 loads of wash, cooked up Alli's birthday supper-(lasagna, 7 layer salad, garlic bread, hot fudge sundae cake and Michael's Cutco pan vanilla cake with chocolate icing, and Breyer's vanilla ice cream),and edited an article for Janelle and had a nice little visit with her when she came to pick up Buddy. Her website gets over 800 hits a day. (http://www.journeythroughgrief.com/) Makes you realize how many people are grieving around the world. We made plans to talk and walk once a week. Packed for our trip to Pa and the shore. Finished finished spring cleaning my little chapel. Alli came over and she and Susan sat on the rock in the middle of the river and cooled down. Philip and Michael are making 60 lbs of sausage links with the pig that they butchered a few days ago. Delicious. Has a bite to it. Graham came to spend the night and enjoy butchering day tomorrow. When Chelsea dropped him off she said to the boys, "Please don't hurt him." Chelsea is his older sister. We'll take him to meet his dad at soccer practice tomorrow eve. Phil and I went over to Happy Valley to see all the work that Meredith and family have done on the flower beds. It looks amazing. Wow! Michael bought Monopoly-the card game and the kids are playing it while waiting for supper. ///I am thankful that Alli was born. Yesterday in church, her father, the associate pastor, shared how 27 or so years ago, he was an alcoholic laying in a ditch, but because of Jesus, and those who brought him to Him, his life is completely changed. I thought to myself, "Because of what Jesus did in his life, we have Alli," and I am so very thankful. I am thankful that I got so much done today and that I am starting to calm down a bit. I am thankful for my neighbor, Mickey, and for her visit today. She is going to have a very special place in heaven.

Tues.-What a day! Butchering day for pork and scrapple for the freezer. Two pigs within a week of days. The petty bone comes in handy when you are scalding a very large pig and/or cooking pork and cornmeal in a very large copper kettle over a very hot fire. Meredith and Tommy were here for most of the day. Graham and Susan were watching the proceedings. The Shippey's and family came over for a trip to the river and a pork sandwich and puppy fun. Such kind people. Kelly is a chiropractor and she helped me with a very sore muscle. Used the massage table in my chapel. Mark and Eldon Stoltzfus came in the eve. Eldon is the architect for the Shippey's home place next door. He and his dad will spend the night and he'll meet with the neighbors in the morning before heading back to Pa. The boys were going to take Dan cat fishing but the thunderstorm sabotaged those plans. Took Graham to soccer practice in Appomattox. Susan stayed behind to work on her homework and pack for Pa. I am writing this quickly so I can get off the computer because here comes the storm..I am thankful for old friends, like Eldon, who we really got to know well when we planted that church together in Downingtown back in 1982. Our kids are about the same age. His mother and my mother were friends before we were born. Phil took Mark on a gator ride and while I showed the pups to Eldon. I am thankful for new friends, like the Shippey's, who feel like old friends and comfortable shoes. I am thankful for a freezer full of pork, sausage, and scrapple. I am thankful for family, like Tommy and Meredith, and for our dear friend, Dave Plank, who had stood with us while our shop burn down, and stood with us today, watching a fire cook the scrapple, after he whisked my cornmeal concoction and carried it out in a big Rubbermaid container. He was such a great help today. I am thankful, that when Phil was cutting the pig and the knife slipped and slashed open his forearm, he did not have pain, even though he should have had at least 6 stitches. I did my best with band aids after he shaved his arm. I couldn't do it because I was too nervous about cutting him. After we fixed him up, I covered that area with a sock cuff. He was pleased. I am thankful for Freeman who worked hard over 12 hours to roast the pig to perfection. Philip and Michael were here most of the day as well, except when Mike went out to get more supplies. It was a really nice day.

Wed.-Left for Pa. Took us 10 hours-7 stops. We stopped at a mall for lunch, etc. and heard many sirens when we got there. Left 2 hours later and traffic was still at a crawl. Farm vehicle accident about 20 min. down the pike. Glad we were at the mall for those 2 hours instead of being stuck in traffic. Went to BB's in Morgantown and then to Mom and Dad's. Went walking with Linda in Pine Grove Cemetery. Jim and Deb came over to Mom and Dad's in the eve. to visit. Night was stormy. I am thankful for a nice day with Susan, traveling mercies-close call with a tractor trailer, and Johnny's beautiful tombstone.

Thurs.-Mom had breakfast at Reuzit. Susan and I had a nice breakfast with Dad and then went up to see my mother. But first, Susan wanted to stop and see Bev and it was good that we did. Tornado warnings and dark clouds and high winds delayed our trip to Mother's since we would have been headed into the storm. Eventually picked up some Chinese food and Rosalee met us at M's for lunch. Nice visit. Met Mom at Yoders at 2:25 and went to see Anne's renovations of their house and little David. He loves to snuggle. Went to Reuzit and bought more books and some clothes. Stopped at Karen's to see her and hold Jonathon before having supper with Mom and Dad. He fell asleep in my arms. I told his dad that if we put a little dress on him he'd look just like his mother's baby pictures. He didn't think I should do that. Visited with Deb and Jordan. Joe and Jonathan, Paul and Jim, stopped in at Mom and Dad's to say Hello. Left Bev's at 8:40 with Rosa and Naomi to go to Ocean City, NJ. It is our 13th year of getting together for this excursion. Arrived shortly before midnight. House to ourselves. ($87.50 for each of us for 3 nights and 3 days.) Hungry. Ate and went to bed around 1. I am thankful for family, friends, and ocean waves.

Fri.-Bev woke up at 4:30 to watch Kate and William's wedding. The rest of us caught some snippets of it when we woke up. God's best to them both. Went to Atlantic City for outlet shopping. Ate at the Rainforest on the boardwalk. Stopped at Blockbuster for some movies and the corner store. Watched movies and ate supper. I am thankful for traditions. I am thankful that we know each others favorite stores. I am thankful that we like Ocean City's family atmosphere. I am thankful that we didn't get addicted to gambling that time one of us played a dollar and won $80. She stopped playing and they couldn't believe it. She treated us to supper with her winnings and we've never done it again. (Philip went to a Chi Alpha formal dinner. Lindsay took a picture of the backs of Gil and Philip and sent it to me with the question, "Who's Who?" If Gil's hair had been a bit shorter, it would have been even harder to tell.)

Sat.-Lazy breakfast of quiche, fruit, baked oatmeal, and coffee. Drove out to boardwalk and shopped. Chilly and warm, depending on the clouds. Ate pizza. Nothing traumatic happened to any of us. No toilet paper was stuck in anyone's waist trailing like a bride's train for hundreds of people to see. Came back to our own private beach and sat out on blankets and chairs for an hour or two. Saw dolphins and a whole flock of sand pipers. Came back and got cleaned up and went out to eat at Yesterday's. Ordered salmon, potatoes, green beans, and salad. Lovely. Watched 'Salt' in the eve. and 'Wedding Date.' Slept from midnight to 7:20 Sun morn. I am thankful for friends like these. We laugh, talk, cry, talk, sleep, talk, eat, talk, eat, and trust. I am thankful for movies with girlfriends and no men around making comments.(Phil shot a turkey!)

Sun.-Slow breakfast. Went to our own private beach. Back to house for lunch and back out to beach. Weather had cooled considerably and we bundled up and laid back to back. Bev looked like the Grim reaper in her dark hooded sweatshirt and dark blanket. Came back to house and cleaned up ourselves and the house and signed the guest book and headed out to the boardwalk. I went into the jewelry store to look for something for Susan. Found boxer dog earrings. Met two girls from Thailand and shared with them about Johnny, etc. Meaningful time and they were so sweet. They were from Bangkok and attended college in the states, and after spending the summer working at the jewelry store at Ocean City, will head back home. Went to Crab Trap for supper. Ordered baby back ribs. Yum. Got home to Mom and Dad's before 11:00. I am thankful that we did not have an accident even though Bev got seriously hot during the heaviest traffic and insisted on taking things off and turning on the air. She wanted me to steer and I said no way. I am thankful for Bev who always counts her blessings. I am thankful for Rosa, in whom there is no guile. I am thankful for Naomi, and her wisdom and strength and constant friendship. I am thankful for God who started this wonderful tradition and helps make it happen every year.

No comments: