Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Politics and Theology

Phil gave me a Richard Maybury report to read last night. It is not necessarily the best reading for bedtime because it arouses thoughts of emergency preparations and tends to over-stimulate the brain. And I had been hoping to finish my book about Robinson Crusoe, which come to think of it, has much to do with survival as well.

I yelped when I read some quotes by William Gladstone. Phil said, "I thought you'd like that." According to Maybury, who gives permission to copy his articles, Gladstone (1809-1898) was a businessman and student at Oxford who became captivated by religion and economics. I won't pretend to understand much about what was said about him but these are the remarks that made me yelp.

"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument. The heated mind resents the chill touch and relentless scrutiny of logic."
I love that.

"Nothing that is morally wrong can be politically right."
Think about it.

Check out Maybury on his website~ RichardMaybury.com

No comments: