Monday, April 18, 2011

Hertzler Doings~April 18-24, 2011

Mon.-Little noisy puppies woke us up this morning and Philip put them out in their cold wet pen. When I went to feed them, they came piling out of the cage, clamoring for attention. I brought their food into the cage and they happily munched down their warm wet breakfast. Every day, they do something new. I was in my housecoat, and Little Girl (for want of a name right now) grabbed my belt and tugged on it. She loves to scoot backwards. Meredith met Michael here and they went over to Happy Valley where Meredith cleaned up the flower beds and yard to make it look nice for when the owners come. Phil went to the surgeon and he encouraged Phil to live with the discomfort of the splinter being lodged next to his bone. He said there is potential for nerve damage if they proceed with surgery. After working hard all day cleaning up metal from the two barns he burned down, he is ready to go for the surgery. It is so irritating to constantly have the feeling of a foreign object piercing his tissue. It hurts. I feel for him and keep praying that it will come out on its own. Had a little time to blog something I've been thinking about for several weeks. Tidied up the house and headed to Farmville to meet a friend, Frances B., at Chick Fillet. We were sitting outside on this beautiful day and half the church came by. (Not quite true.) It was good to catch up with her. We're planning a road trip to go visit the Banton's when they are settled in their new home. Left from there to pick up Susan. Got the taxes mailed just in time. Cleaned up some more of my little chapel. Alli came to walk and Freeman met us on our way back from the river. The bluebells are dying and I feel sad that I won't see them in their ethereal effervescent beauty for another year. I am quite sure that there will be bluebells outside of my sweet cottage in heaven. I'd like a little cream colored cottage with Williamsburg blue shutters and door. I'd like purple Wisteria draping the fence and lilacs blooming year round and bluebells all along the sides of the house and the river. I'd like spice bushes, lilies of the valley, mint tea, and honeysuckle rambling around in the back yard. And I'd like two white rocking chairs on the front porch so Jesus can stay and talk with me. I'd like the ocean to be my front yard and I'd like lacy cotton valances in the windows. (I am not sure why I am thinking about heaven so much these days, but Mother, if you read this, don't worry. It doesn't mean I'm going soon. It's just that I see heaven on earth mostly in the spring, and it makes me homesick.) Michael's been here most of the day, catching up with computer work, etc. Susan is forming more peanut butter eggs. They are more in demand than coconut and butter cream. Little Girl puppy jumped on the back of Biggest Boy puppy and she pulled him down and bit him and made him cry and I had to intervene. She looks so little and innocent but she's a tough one. I am thankful for the college boys at Chick Fillet who called me "Sweetie" and "Honey" when I got refills for our drinks. I don't think that's ever happened to me before. (Being called sweet names by college age boys at my age.) My mother gets it all the time and she thinks its because she is older. Hmm...Another wonderful thing that happens for my mother all the time is that people trust her. She could forget her money at the check-out counter and they would say, "Oh Honey, that's okay. Bring it to me when you come out to town next week." (I am not sure that it ever happened exactly this way, but I am not far off.) I am thankful for the chatter of the three at home as they visit out in the living room. I am thankful for Philip's amazing singing voice and Michael's silly whistle as they accompany Susan's song she is playing on the piano.

Tues.-Susan and I met Mrs. Houts and Alyssa, Jane, Syndney, and Cheyenne at Pamplin Exxon around 8:30 this morning. Mrs. Jones' brother bought 10 tickets for a tour of the Governor's Mansion at an auction and gave them to her for Christmas. Mrs. Jones drove her car and Mikayla and Clarissa rode with her. (They had a great time touring the Mansion, eating lunch-a club sandwich and fries-at The Tobacco Co., and touring the Capital. (Richmond) Susan enjoyed the architecture of the Mansion and saw it through her father's eyes. They got back shortly after 6:00.)(Mrs. Jones told me later how much she enjoyed being with Susan. "What a delightful girl...") I taught music to the boys today in 7-12 grade and heard some things I probably wouldn't have if the girls had been there. One of the middle school boys shared how a very young boy was intimidating him and I said that the next time he comes for you, do this, and I let out my Aborigines holler right there in that little classroom. To the man, every boy jumped, and then I said, "And in that second that he is jumping in fright like you just did, make your escape." Strikes me so funny every time I think about it. I also gave him some other ideas and I am hoping he is never intimidated by a 4 year old again. I ran out and got groceries and after school, I came home and did lots of odd jobs-wash, making fish and couscous with vegetables, feeding puppies, burning trash, etc. Michael helped put the groceries away. He and Philip hit the sack early. Phil worked out in the fields most of the day. Susan worked on coating peanut butter eggs after supper. The puppies grunt when I pick them up. I think it's because their bellies are so roly-poly. Phil gave them shots tonight while Philip held them and closed his eyes. He has an aversion to needles. The little puppies cried and wailed and Susan comforted them quickly in her willing arms while I cried for the dear little things and cleaned up the kitchen.///I am thankful for the young man in high school who wrote 'Jesus' in his play dough and wished he didn't have to crumble it back up. You'd be surprised how much you learn about a child's life when they are playing with play dough while listening to worship songs. I am thankful for how well the kids did when I quizzed them on composers and compositions. I hummed part of a classical piece and they shouted out the composer and the name of the song. I am thankful for the conversations that occur when you take time to ask questions about the meanings of the words of a song. Like, "Vainly they watch His bed...Vainly they seal the dead..." and "Death cannot keep its prey....He tore the bars away". Soul-thrilling, actually. I really like these kids.

Wed.-The children know that school is just about out and are happy and rammy. My absolute highlight of the month, is the following incident. When I am wanting to teach the children a song, I play it on a CD while they draw or play with play dough. Sometimes they sing along with it and that's always a pleasant sound. I have two high school girls who help me with the younger children. One of the girls had several drawings gifted to her from the K/1 children. I saw the one on the top and asked,"Who drew this?" She told me and I asked her if I could have the picture. Then I asked 'Evan' to sign his name. For reasons I can't go into, it is especially gratifying that this particular child has a firm delightful grasp on the fact that Jesus loves to dance on top of rainbows with a smile on His face and His arms lifted up. I have memorized his crayon drawing and can bring it to mind at will. I found Dr. H. later and said, "I need to show you something." He looked at the picture and said, "That's a keeper." So, we're going to frame it. Hopefully, I will find a purple mat to match the purple sash Jesus is wearing across His white robe. We'll hang it in the hallway and we'll never forget our 'Evan.'

My niece, Abby, won "The President's Award." She broke and made all kinds of records as a soccer goalie for EMU. She is a sweet girl. My brother's first wife was killed by a drunk driver. My mother hung onto Augustine's quote-""He judged it better and more in accord with His power to bring some greater good even out of evil than to permit no evil whatsoever." My brother married another wonderful woman several years later. Abby is their daughter. My mother was talking about Abby the other day and she said, "Abby is definitely a part of that 'greater good.'

Went out to Farmville in the eve to take Susan to Vertical Edge. Did some shopping. Did some praying and singing in the dark. //I am thankful for the little girl who says to me, "I don't like music but I like art." And that is just the way it is. I am thankful that I got to see little Noemi this week. I can't get over how courageous her mama is, and so full of grace. I am thankful for the conversation I had with someone in the computer room this morning who has triumphed over a brain injury. I am thankful that I found lots of good books to bring home in the yard sale room for a donation of my choice. Susan says we need to build a house for my books and keep a library to live in.

Thurs.-Last day of school before a 10 day break. I went to chapel today. Something good happens to me as I listen to the familiar words of the scripture. My guard is not up. I do not need discernment. I can just sit and receive the Word of God and I do. I almost had to leave again because of the way the words affect me emotionally. I am deeply moved and I hope that I am changed. Dr. Hubler shared after the liturgy. He said something like, "Lazarus, was called out of the grave but he had to go back into it again. Jesus, in the Resurrection, rose to a life that could never die again. When we are born again, we have a life that can never die. The hope of the Resurrection provides a pathway for us to follow Jesus through death. He was the first one through and He came out the other side. Now we can too." Clarissa was here today. (Sr. last year) She went to get groceries with me and I heard about some of her good college experiences. She is friends with a Von Trapp girl who is the grand-daughter of Maria Von Trapp-'Sound of Music.' She played a recording of Melanie VT and several of her friends singing at the student center at school. The students play and sing while other students chat and drink coffee. Clarissa and college go well together. She is thriving. She helped me later with art. We dipped and dyed hard boiled eggs after drawing on them with crayons first. We also painted their Mother's Day handkerchief gifts. The younger classes went on an egg hunt today at a retirement home. One of the little boys gave me his candy for Susan, Mr. Hertzler, and myself. Went to Baine's with Doreen and Graham after his hair cut and I found a Jan Karon 'Mitford Series Cookbook.' Doreen got it for me with her credit there at the store after she heard me wondering aloud about the ethics of my buying yet another cookbook. It's basically a brand new book originally priced at $30. I got her to sign it for me in memory of our fun times there at Baine's on Thursday afternoons. Michael made us BLT's for supper. He mowed the lawn and then he and Philip met Erik over at the neighbor's pond to go fishing with chicken livers. Susan played with the puppies and decided to take a quick nap. Should I wake her up? She's been sleeping for an hour and it's just about dark. Phil's been planting sweet corn and field corn. ///I am thankful for this nice spring break. I am thankful for clothing to wash and a kitchen to clean for it means we have clothes to wear and food to eat. I am thankful for the cool evenings with the windows open and the peepers peeping and the sound of puppies horsing around.

Fri.-Slept in! Got myself together and went out to Farmville to run some errands and to have lunch at Longwood cafeteria with Lindsay, Lisa, and Michelle. When I went to meet Lindsay at her house, Gil greeted me with a surprise at the door. He's full of surprises these days. We had a lovely time at lunch and I hope we do it again soon and many times after that. I keep having to remind myself that I am not a college student. Came home and made some pizza for supper. The guys had butchered a pig today. They made sausage and raw bacon pieces and have the loins all ready to grill tomorrow for the Chi Alpha Pig Roast. They ran out in the eve. to get more supplies for the party and Susan rode along. She made some chocolate eggs while I was gone and Alli came over and they watched Miss Congeniality together while Freeman helped with the pig. Phil planted corn most of the day. He was cold and wet when he came in and I made him some hot chocolate to drink after he took a hot shower. While we were playing with the puppies in the evening, we talked about how Good Friday is always gloomy. I told them that when I was little, thought Jesus was crucified every year and I would be so sad on Good Friday. "I bet you were relieved when you found out that wasn't true," one of them said. I remember where I was standing when I found out it wasn't true. It was that significant of a discovery and I have my sister to thank. The boys hit the sack early. Phil is reading a book about slavery that he found in the box of books I brought home. He remembers almost everything he reads. I can't do that. I called and wished my mother a Happy Birthday. I left a message which means someone has her out for her birthday. I keep forgetting whether her birthday is today or tomorrow. Now my dear friend, Naomi, sends me belated birthday cards in April, and my birthday isn't until May, and we have to laugh about that. She just can't seem to remember. I sent my mother a colorful silk butterfly scarf in the mail with the best birthday card ever and she liked them both very much. I am thankful for the fun we have playing with the puppies in the evening and wiping up their little puddles before they walk through them. I am thankful for friends whose lives entwine with mine and that we'll be friends for a very long time. I am thankful for my children and husband and Alli. I am thankful for the dripping of the cold spring rain and the certain hope of a hot bath in the next 10 minutes and the adventure of a new book to read thanks to Alli.

Sat.-Flocks of gold finches enhance my quiet time as I watch them from my desk. They camouflage with the dandelions. Cleaned the house, did some wash, made green beans and mashed potatoes for tomorrow's lunch. Took a nap. Played through 'You Were the Joy' on the piano. Chi Alpha came around 4:30. Philip invited them for a pig roast and kick ball. He knew Gil and Lindsay wouldn't be able to be here for another Chi Alpha gathering and wanted them to be here with Chi Alpha one last time. I took Emma, Adi, and Michelle down to the river and we planted E's and A's dogwood trees on the bank of the river. The kids played a rousing game of kickball. One of the students has seen very little nature and he was busy taking lots of pictures. Another student hurt his foot and needed ice and pain killer. Emma and Adi wanted to come inside. I made them some play dough and we painted big pictures on big papers. Brenna and Alli were with us and it was so relaxing just to color and paint. Meanwhile, Phil was cooking a big copper kettle full of scrapple out back over a fire. He had to use the petty bone to lift up the kettle. I helped him figure out how much cornmeal to add, plus spices, etc. We filled up every available pan and chilled the scrapple in the big fridge cooler. I finished the book Alli loaned me around 11:30 and went to sleep.//I am thankful that Philip has the gift of hospitality. There was a pile of kids here and he knows how to make everyone feel welcome. I am thankful that Michael decided to go over to Happy Valley and fish after the party to have some time alone. He listened to Dave Ramsey on his ipod while he sat there and fished and thoroughly enjoyed himself. I am thankful that Phil got up to check on the mooing cows around midnight and discovered that they were out.

Sun.-Stayed home from SS just to give myself a bit more time to get my act together. I fried some scrapple for everyone's breakfast and also threw a fruit salad together for lunch. Plugged in the crockpots full of green beans and mashed potatoes too. Susan, Phil, and Philip went into church at regular time. Apparently they were asked in Sunday School where they would like to go. Phil said Alaska. So did Dianna. I told Phil that I want to go to the Holy Lands. I really want to go to the Holy Lands. I wouldn't mind Alaska either. Most of all, I just want to go to my little chapel/cottage. If it had a bathroom I'd stay out there alot longer. Maybe it's good I don't have one. Sat in the back at church because we had to leave early and come home. Enjoyed the worship service, especially the song we were singing while portions of 'The Passion' were shown. Deeply meaningful. Plus, little Adi wanted to sit with me and she fell asleep by the second song. Pastor Frank preached on Romans 8:11 and surrounding verses, plus other scriptures. "If that same spirit that raised Christ from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you." It's pretty amazing. Jesus said that the Holy Spirit would take what is His and give it to us. What is Christ's? Life. Hope. Power. Love. Compassion. Righteousness. Strength. Truth. Resurrection! This is the same Spirit that hovered over nothingness before the earth was created by the Words of God. This is the same Spirit that gave words to holy men of old and they were moved to write the scriptures. This is the same Spirit that raised Christ from the dead and it dwells in you and I if we have received Him into our hearts.

1-The Resurrection is the initiation of something new. The old is done away with and all things have become new. The word 'crisis' means 'turning point.' When Jesus was crucified, the disciples experienced crisis. Their dreams and hopes of a new kingdom were crucified with their leader of that kingdom. Their lives would never be the same.

2-The Resurrection is the intention not to let your past contaminate your future. No matter how dry our bones are as a nation or as a church, the Holy Spirit will blow on those bones and bring them back to life. We must release our past failures and successes and not be confined by their limitations.

3-The Resurrection is an intimate reminder that God keeps His promises. He promised that He would rise again, and He did. He said, 'Destroy this temple and in three days it will be restored', and it was. He said, "I must go away and send another Comforter who will take what is mine and give it to you," and He did. Now the word Comforter is the word 'paraklete'. I have no idea if I spelled that right. I think it is Greek. I love this. The Holy Spirit is not the kind of comforter that pats your back and says, "Everything is going to be okay." He is the kind of comforter who is like a whole army coming to rescue you when your battalion is about ready to be destroyed. He is Warrior God. He gives Real Help. He is moved with compassion to intervene and gives us as much help as our situation calls for. He does not sit there and pity us and make sympathetic sounds. No! He roars and comes to our aid. Alleluia! (Not everything I am writing comes directly from PFrank. I am getting additional parts of the sermon as I write his up. ;))

Jesus was the embodiment of God here on earth. But He is intent on building a church that looks just like Himself. He looked like God and we look like Him. His purpose for the church is that we would express His life to each other and to those who do not yet know Him. We need the Holy Spirit and His work in our lives in order to accomplish Christ's purpose.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We left church right away to go home and change and take our food to Tom's for an Easter Day with them. Alli and Freeman were there as well, which was nice. Tom's had a friend, Joe, who was there for the day. We had ham, chicken steak, mashed potatoes, green beans, coleslaw, applesauce, pickled beets, fruit salad, Alli's brownies, tapioca pudding and for supper we had tortilla chips and a layered dip that Bethany made, ham sandwiches, scrapple, fruit salad, etc. etc. and lots of malted chocolate eggs which are my favorite. I helped Serena stuff the plastic eggs with candy and Freeman and Alli hid them and Abby and Serena hunted them. It was really hot outside. Later in the day, we watched "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" and that was really relaxing and a little scary. I liked how Aslan told the children that he is known by another name in his country and that they must learn to know His other name.
Marv, Lydia, and Daniel came over for a visit on their golf cart. I am excited that his parents will be coming down to live with them in their new house. We helped plant a church in the city with his parents and about 30 others soon after we were married and we have such fond memories of our times together with them. ///I am thankful that the three are over in the man cave watching a movie and that I have time to write and that Phil is watching 'The Passion.' I looked at him while they were playing it this morning and he was crying and he's been wanting to watch it all day. I am thankful for Michelle's most beautiful voice and that she sang and played her guitar while I sat on the sofa and listened to her. I am thankful for family and friends. I am thankful that we were the joy set before Him and that is why He endured the cross and despised its awful shame. Thank you, Thank you God.

No comments: