Saturday, April 2, 2011

Katrina Honors Her Sister

My sister has two daughters, Katrina and Annika. On March 6, 2011, Annika was married to a wonderful guy we all love named Stew. My sister has two sons. One of them is in heaven. In May of 2009, Abie was killed in a car accident. He was 23. He is sorely missed. They missed him especially on this happy wedding day. But I think that it is every day, that they especially miss him. (We just found some pictures of Abie in a box in the old house. They were taken about 7 years ago when they were all down here. There are pictures of him with his dad sitting beside him on the sofa and Abie is holding up a 'V' sign behind his dad's head and they are all laughing.) So you can understand that the wedding was a sweetbitter day but I think that sorrow can make a person's face more beautiful. My nieces and sister are already beautiful, but they are more beautiful than ever because they are intimately acquainted with grief and their beauty runs as deep as their sorrow. My sister has a son named Peter, and he and his wife, Katie, were very proud of their cute children who were the perfect flower girl and ring bearer. This sorrow has deepened them as well, and has drawn them into the love of God. At the reception, all of the groomsmen and bridesmaids shared a memory or some thoughts and wishes they had for the bride and groom. Katrina shared last, as Maid of Honor, and younger sister of the bride, and she has given me permission to share her words with you. As she spoke, I thought of my own sister, Rosalee. Not everyone has a sister like her, either. Not every girl has an older sister who would fight with her over the bathroom, rushing to get there "first" and therefore have the right to remain there as long as needed. Not every girl has an older sister who is not afraid to be unique-wearing exotic outfits from other countries, eating "strange" foods, collecting rocks, seashells, and stamps, or screaming at the top of her lungs when a movie gets too frightening. Not every girl has an older sister who models purity-waiting patiently for her Prince Charming...not frazzled by the fact that many of her friends are dating and getting married before her. Not every girl has an older sister who accepts the possibility that she may never get married-not letting it devastate her, but trusting in God, whether He brings someone special into her life, or whether He wants her to remain single and serve Him. Not every girl has an older sister she can look up to and respect. Not every girl has an older sister who follows God with all her heart...through the good times and the excruciatingly painful times...continuing to remain faithful, and remembering, "Though He slay me, yet will I trust in Him." Not every girl has an older sister like this...but...I do. And, I just wanted to let you know, Annika, that I am so thankful I have an older sister like you. I love you! And Stew, I am so thankful that God brought you and Annika together! Welcome to our family! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Welcome, indeed. Thank you, Katrina dear, for letting me share your words. I love you. Aunt Annette

No comments: