Saturday, January 9, 2010

Blind Love

I recently wrote a blog book report on George Matheson's "Portrait of Bible Men."
My mother read it and told me she thought that Matheson wrote 'O Love That Wilt Not Let Me Go' after he began going blind and his fiance broke off their engagement.

Read the words to the hymn in light of this knowledge of the writer's experience.

"O Love That Wilt Not Let Me Go"

O Love that wilt not let me go,
I rest my weary soul on Thee;
I give Thee back the life I owe,
That in Thine ocean depths its flow
May richer, fuller be.

O Light that follow'st all my way,
I yield my flick'ring torch to Thee;
My heart restores its borrowed ray,
That in Thy sunshine's glow its day
May brighter, fairer be.

O Joy that seekest me thro' pain,
I cannot close my heart to Thee;
I trace the rainbow thro' the rain,
And feel the promise is not vain
That morn shall tearless be.

O Cross that liftest up my head,
I dare not ask to hide from Thee;
I lay in dust life's glory dead,
And from the ground there blossoms red
Life that shall endless be.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What a man!
What a hymn!
What a God!

No comments: