Monday, January 4, 2010

Book Report-"Quitting Church"

by Julia Duin-Religion Editor for the Washington Times
Subtitle-"Why the Faithful are fleeing and What to do about it"

This book jumped out at me with its title and its 3.99 price tag in the CBD sale catalog.

God gave different giftings to His body, the church.

Some people are evangelists.
 They want everyone to hear the gospel
and have the opportunity to accept Christ.
Some are teachers, prophets, pastors, etc.

I am not sure exactly what I am but when I go to church,
I generally pray something like, 'Lord, use me today in whatever way you want to.'

Then, I expect Him to be Himself in me,
and He is not limited to any one gift.
He has them all.

Of course, He's given them to us, His body, and it is up to us to use them.
He is the head of His body, the church,
and His blood flows through our 'veins' and makes us one
with Him and each other.
But, I am rambling here.

What I am trying to say is this.
I am really concerned about people
leaving the church.
That's why I picked up this book.

I used to equate leaving the church
with leaving Christianity,
but I was wrong about that.

There are many strong believers who love God
who no longer go to a church that meets in a building.
They fellowship with other believers in other ways,
and many feel they are closer to God since they've left
the established church.

Julia Duin spent much time researching the reasons why
people leave church.
I read the book like a novel and found it refreshing
in a disturbing sort of way, to have my thoughts and questions
put into words and answered with facts
and statistics.

I won't go into all of the things that were listed as
being wrong with churches these days.

I think I can however, summarize what Julia sees as the answer to this quandary.

1.-House churches work for some.

2.-We should concentrate on discipleship rather than bottle-feeding.

3.-Pastors must be willing to tackle the tough issues.
 They should assume that
most people are struggling
and that many are broken hearted, and preach with that awareness in mind.

4.-"Miracles happened in Acts 2* when Christians decided to share things in common, be willing to suffer together, and be part of a supernatural church. They can happen again if enough believers are willing to pay the price. Then people will begin craving church instead of quitting church and the exodus will be no more." (final quote in book)(asterisks* mine)

This book was a real eye-opener for me.
The reason most people leave church is because of people.
And the reason most people come to church or return back to church
is because of people; someone asked them to come.

It's a tricky thing.
A small church may be able to be a 'better' church
but if its a really good church,
it won't stay small for long.

Well, I won't stop going to church.
Not now, anyway.
But I won't be as quick to judge those who do.

When you really pray for your church
and for your pastor and the pastoral staff
and their families,
it is easy to see the answers to your prayers.

When you really complain about your church
and your pastor and the pastoral staff
and their families,
it is easy to see what is wrong with them.

On the other hand,
sometimes churches are abusive
and shallow and just plain wrong.

Sometimes,
it's time to get out
and take a break
or find a church where God is moving.

There are no easy answers.
But we have a Shepherd,
who has promised to lead us to green pastures
and still waters.
Follow Him.

*Acts 2:42-47-"And they continued steadfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in prayers. Then fear came upon every soul, and many wonders and signs were done through the apostles. Now all who believed were together, and had all things in common, and sold their possessions and goods, and divided them among all, as anyone had need. So continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart, praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved."

2 comments:

Janet Oberholtzer said...

Great book report ... I've heard of that book but haven't read it.

You are wise to go to church with the question, "Lord, use me today in whatever way you want to." instead of asking what the church can do for you.

Annie said...

Thanks Janet. I meant to say in the blog that some giftings are concerned with getting people saved but whatever my gifting is, I am more concerned about getting the saved people discipled, and having those who have loved God for a very long time, in a place where they hunger and thirst for Him more and more.