Monday, April 19, 2010

This is What it Looks Like When Someone Loves God

What does it look like when someone loves God?

Some might say,"If you love God, then you'll dress this way."
Others might say,"If you read Scriptures and honor the symbols of the cross and communion, then you love God."
Still others might say, "If you sing to Him with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength; if you worship Him around the throne-then we know you love God."

Dress right.
Do things right.
Worship right.

What does Jesus think it looks like when we love Him?

He said, "If you love me, you will obey my commandments."
Love me with all of your heart, soul, mind, and strength.
And love your neighbor as yourself."

Love is patient and kind.
Love does not envy; nor is it proud.
Love is not rude or selfish.
Love thinks the best about someone and is glad when the truth is good.
Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

This is how Jesus loves us.
This is how He wants us to love each other.

We can dress modestly and lead a quiet
passive life,
but if we do not love our brother,
then we stand alone in self-righteousness,
proud and plain.

We can reverence His Word and His Ways,
but if we do not love our brother,
then the things we do become a list of rules
and sound like vain repetition.

We can worship God loudly around the altar
and seek His face,
but if we do not love our brother,
we are a sounding brass or a clanging cymbal.

We strive to show God how much we love Him by the way we dress,
the way we live, the way we worship.
We strive to show that we are His disciples by applying rules
such as do this and look like this.

How quickly we can change from one form of religion to another.

This is what it looks like when Heaven comes down:
Sincere love among the brethren.
Prayer instead of gossip.
Making others feel at home.

Jesus loves me.
Jesus prays for me.
Jesus makes me feel at home.

If I love God, I'll love you too,
and you will know I do.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
By this shall all men know that you are my disciples;
if you love one another as I have loved you.

2 comments:

learning to lean said...

Istand convicted.

Annie said...

I wrote this with a realization that I had just failed miserably in what is important to God.
I stand with you, convicted.