Monday, September 20, 2010

Hertzler Doings-Sept. 20-26, 2010

Mon.-"Everything you've waited for is standing here outside your door..." Rough night because I believed something to be true that was not at all. So sorry to have worried and now my lack of sleep may affect how I relate to others. Even if it was true, I shouldn't have worried about it. Washed clothes, visited work site next door, exercised, cleaned an area of my room. Phil's going to put book shelves in our bedroom which should really help my love of books problem. He took some out of the house they are renovating. Susan and Phil went catfishing in the eve. using chicken livers as bait. Michael's been out at Richmond working with Cutco all day and overnight. Philip is cleaning up after the party. After three days of junk food Michael was desperate for a salad this morning. Phil said to me today, "I have a problem...I miss Freeman." I had to think that 26 years is a long time to be together in the morning. Freeman used to get up early when he was in grade school and high school and make coffee for Phil. If one is going to have a problem, that's a good kind of problem to have.

I am thankful that Susan was excited all day because she knew her dad was taking her fishing tonight. (She caught the biggest catfish caught so far plus another big one. She wanted to let Phil pull it in since he didn't catch any but he wanted her to do the honors.) I am thankful that the guys have work next door and I get to see them more often.
I am thankful that Freeman stopped in and wanted to take some of Philip's chocolate birthday cake home for his Alli. He enjoyed it too. (Chocolate Marvel cake made with coffee and baby food prunes. It is a marvel, that's for sure.)

Tues.-"Living flame of love...come baptize us..." Susan was so happy on the way to school and talked about how much fun she had fishing with her dad last eve. Good day of school. Read from Rev. 19 where the words were taken for Handel's "Hallelujah Chorus". We stood as we listened to this majestic chorus instead of resting our heads on the table. Select Choir continues to thrill me with their quick learning ability and 3 part harmony. Looked for mugs at Salvation Army after school. They are disappearing around here. Susan got an ice cream cone. I stopped in to see Millie and also looked for a birthday book Michael wants at Baine's. Going to bed early tonight. Very tired all day.
Thankful for the sermon I found lying around and its teaching on Ruth and God's grace. The law was given so grace could be shown. I was thinking about that in regards to school. School rules are given to keep things in order and to show grace to offenders of the law. I am not sure if I am saying that right. But I am quite certain that the message of grace and kindness will be remembered much longer than the names of composers, Latin words, and History, etc.
Thankful for the book "What's so Amazing about Grace?" by Philip Yancey.
I am even thankful for the discomfort I feel as I read it and the sorrow I have that I am so often full of ungrace. I am thankful for the grace of God and the message of grace which is given to those of us who are most ungracious.

Wed.-"You are holy..." Walked into chapel after it was over in order to play the piano and as I stepped inside the door, I heard the 'trumpet' blow and my knees went weak and I nearly dropped. Mrs. H. , who was standing in the back with Mrs. S. and saw the whole thing, said that I got what I deserved for being a trouble maker. Dr. H. said I failed the sound check for the final trumpet call. I have plans for revenge. He said that this time he scared me innocently. He didn't know I was walking in when he decided to blow his nose, quite violently, I might add.

I was impressed with how quickly things were changed when I said that there were things that were not working for me in a classroom situation. Twice this week, things were changed rapidly when I said I wasn't happy. I am looking forward to a better week next week. If I just wanted to put time in and focus on classroom control it would be one thing. But I really do want the kids to have a chance to tell me about their lives. I want to relate to them; not control their behavior, although sometimes that would be nice. When I have a relationship with them, they want to behave. When I am relating to them, I am aware that there is nothing in the world more important than being with this child, these children, at this time.

In the eve. Missi and I went to Macado's for supper before youth group. It's been a long time since we've caught up with each other. Then Nanette and I went on a walk on High Trail. The wind was blowing the leaves all around and the pink moon was glowing ahead of us on the trail. Behind us, lightning was flashing, but neither of us were willing to run from the storm. It was wonderful. We got back to church in good time and sat in the car with our windows down. Our arms got wet from the dripping rain while we waited for Lindsay to show up with the girls. "I love you, Aunt Annette," sang two of the sweetest voices on earth.
I am thankful for those two little darlings.
I am thankful that Susan sang the whole way to church and the whole way back home.
I am thankful for old and new friends and the comfort and joy I find in both.
I am thankful that once a week, the teachers all bring part of a meal, and we eat the same food together at our table. I am thankful that someone else told me tonight that they share my blog with others and that they especially appreciate the sermon notes.

Thurs.-Made baker's clay ornaments in dehydrator last night and today the K-2 graders painted their apples, pumpkins, and leaves. I sprayed them with acrylic spray and will turn them into ribboned ornaments next week. One little boy told me that he was going to have a baby sister soon. I asked him how he felt about that and then told him that I thought he would make a wonderful big brother. This child is always writing love notes to his mother when he has a free moment in art class, but today, I got two little 'I love you' kinds of notes from him. I put them up on the art display strip. Worked on learning Christmas music during spare time. Came home and sat on my chair and couldn't move. Watched "Blank Check" with Susan and then got up and cleaned kitchen, did two loads of wash and was in bed by 9 and slept until 6:30 the next morning.

I am thankful that rough days make one look for possible solutions and solutions are given so there are fewer rough days. I am thankful for grace, understanding, and forgiveness. I am thankful for CCA. I am thankful for the realization that those who have melancholy tendencies in their personalities need some time alone and it they don't get it, their sleep is interrupted in order to have time to think, and then they can be a bit grumpy, due to lack of sleep and due to the need for time alone. ( I know that's true for me.)

Fri.-Vacation Day at home here with Alli. We sat and talked with a cup of tea, made oatmeal raisin cookies, took some over to Freeman at the neighbor and checked out the property, watched Monk and NCIS, made tortilla meat, and played Dutch Blitz later with Susan. Freeman came over for supper after work. He was outside and came into the house yelling. We ran outside and saw a beautiful eagle soaring over our property. He was there for quite awhile. A flock of buzzards flew above it, trying to imitate its majestic flight. Philip, Michael, and Travis went fishing. Phil went to Pa today to pick up an old chest of drawers he needed to get out of Anne's basement since she sold her house. He stopped in to visit my mother and also his parents. He left around 4 this morning and will be home later tonight. He's had some truck trouble. CJ called today. I've known her since I was 17 and she was 11. I was her counselor at camp. She might come visit tomorrow.

I am thankful that I didn't pull out in front of the car that was turning in PTRoad today. I would have been t-boned by the car on the other side of them that I couldn't see. I almost pulled out. Stopped just in time. Others would have been hurt and I wouldn't be here anymore. Then, a guy on the back road didn't even look as he pulled out of his lane and he stopped just in time so I didn't hit him. I am thankful for days of rest and a chance to catch up with Alli. I am thankful that the boy's friends feel at home here. I am thankful for the 'Just in Time's' in life.

Sat.-Day at home to catch up on wash, cleaning, and phone calls. CJ and I talked on the phone for nearly 2 hours and got on face book and connected with each other and two other camp counsellors as well. She discovered that we live 5 hours away from each other so decided to make the trip another day. Naomi and I caught up and plan to meet each other in Harrisonburg before long. It is significant to me that in the past week and a half I have heard from 3 different people that I haven't heard from in years. Finished 'What's so Amazing about Grace?' by Philip Yancey. It was not an easy read after all because I felt convicted the whole time I was reading it. And then, the reconnections with these friends... I needed to read the book before I reconnected with them. I need grace from others and I need to give grace a well.

Philip was around home today, vacuuming and cleaning out his car and truck. Phil and Freeman cut firewood for delivery to homes next weekend for Farmville First. Susan rested a lot today-not feeling so great. Cleaned her room and helped clean the house. Michael is in Richmond for more training. 1502 pfh.
I am thankful for the way God brings things around full circle.
I am thankful for the eagle and the way God has used its presence to encourage us when we need it.
I am thankful for the long talk with Mother on the phone and the 6 classic devotional books she sent home with Phil. She wanted to tell Susan that her dad told her that Susan is beautiful-inside and out.

Sun.-"Hallelujah...glory to God in the Highest." Good SS with Diana. I loved the new song we sang today with the words '..a Sacred Refuge is Your name..' We have a mandate to tell people how much God loves them. Next Saturday, we will tell the town of Farmville that God loves them as we do acts of service and speak words of life to those we meet-Farmville First. Sermon notes: 11 Cor. 5:18-21-Jesus intent in coming to this world was to reconcile the world back to God and now we also have this ministry of reconciliation. We are ambassadors for Christ; resident representatives of the Kingdom of Heaven. It is important that we fear God and walk in awe of Him. When we do this, we will have fellowship with Him and with each other, and we will be faithful to Him as a result of that fear and fellowship. We are going to respond to God's word in proportion to how much we fear God. If you have an ear, hear what the Spirit is saying to the church. If you have eyes to see, see what God is doing. If you have a heart, feel His heartbeat. If you have a mind, understand His ways. If you have a voice, speak His words. Be His ambassador here on earth. Be His ears, His eyes, His heart, His mind, His voice. Represent Him.
Philip, Travis, and Michael made venison steak over a fire down at the river and hung out together for the rest of the day. (Christi was here in the eve. after a gathering at Fisher's.) We took it easy in the afternoon and went to a prayer meeting at the Daily Grind in the evening. We are praying, as a church, for our community, that God will break down racial barriers, religious barriers, and economic barriers. We are praying for other churches and pastors. We are asking God to heal marriages and homes. We are going to fast and pray that God will work in a mighty way in our community and we are hoping for a jump start this coming weekend as we serve our community on Saturday and have an outdoor service on Sunday with an evangelist who is known for his ability to share God's heart with those who do not yet know Him in such a way that they will want to know Him. We are expecting great things.
I am thankful for the rain. I love the pitter patter sound.
I am thankful for our church and for what God is going to do in this next year.
I am thankful that as we fear His name and fellowship with Him and with each other, we will experience the harvest of faithfulness, which will carry us through the pain of upheaval and rebuilding, and bring us over to the other side, where we will experience the peaceable fruits of righteousness.

1 comment:

Jeanne said...

Loved your update. Hope to see you soon! Would be nice to get together for tea...walk through the woods, something!