Monday, September 27, 2010

Sarcasm in the Old Testament

Job's friends were telling him that he must have some awful secret sins or God wouldn't be punishing him the way he was and Job defended his own righteousness and they were horrified and rebuked him even further and then Job says, "No doubt you ARE the people and wisdom will die with you!"

I got a kick out of that. In other words, Job said, "You're the man and when you die, no one else will exist who knows anything at all!" And then he goes on to say that regardless of that 'fact', he's smart too and is not as stupid as they think.

You'll find all this in Job 12:1-3. It really is an amazing book. Job lost so much in 9 months time and then God restored back to him twice as much as he had before, AFTER he prayed for his lousy friends.

I can identify with Job.
I can identify with his lousy friends.
I can identify with the hopelessness of loss.
And I can identify with the surprise of joy.

No comments: