Friday, September 10, 2010

Laughter

Several times a week, I have to turn the windows down when I am driving in the car with Susan. Something I say or some reaction I have to something she says sets her off and she begins her sound-barrier-breaking laughter that honestly hurts my ears in that small amount of space.

This week, I made a comment about how good of a driver I am which she found overwhelmingly hysterical. "You are a wild and crazy driver!" she hooted. I was somewhat insulted and told her so which only caused an increase in the volume of the sounds erupting from her mouth.

"Open your window and put your head out. You are hurting my ears!" I ordered, in a desperate attempt to ease the throbbing in my ear drums. She did so but the volume escalated even louder, if possible, since this mandate struck her funny bone as well.

I must remember to keep earplugs in the car. If she could put this sort of volume into her singing, she'd never need to use a microphone. Meanwhile, a merry heart does good like a medicine, and she seems rather happy and I feel pretty fine, except for that ringing in my ears.

No comments: