Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Hertzler Doings-Sept. 6-12, 2010

Mon.~Labor Day-No School- "Comfort Those Who Mourn in Zion." Picked up Susan from Streams where she spent the night. She and Kelli got lost in the woods but found a way out. Susan and I met Phil, Philip, Alli, and Freeman at Ray and Ruth's for a lunch of hamburgers with bacon, onions, tomatoes, and lettuce, potato salad, Ruth's famous sweet tea (she grinds an entire lemon and puts it in the tea) , banana delight, vanilla pie and ice cream. Ruth made a birthday cake for Ray, Phil, and Philip. She sent two thirds of it home with us. It's chocolate and it's amazing. We hung out with them for awhile and then the guys had to go work on the farm and Freeman and Alli went home as well. Susan and I had driven separately from the guys, so we stayed longer. Ruth and I worked on cutting out names on her creative memory cricket machine. I mounted the K-2nd grade watercolor straw blowing art on pretty card stock and then we glued their names on the cards. They are just beautiful. I'll laminate them at school tomorrow, hole punch them, and hang them up with yarn in the hallway. Susan watched the rest of Hildago with Ray and she and I left after 6 some time.
I am thankful for friends who are like family. They want you to open the freezer and get your own ice or open the pill cabinet and get some ibprofen. Just being together is relaxing and there is no pressure. I am thankful for Ray and Ruth and that our friendship stays the same no matter how long its been since we've seen each other. I am thankful for the chance to see Freeman and Alli. I love to hear her talk about medical things. She's so smart. I am thankful for the hours that Ruth gave to me today as she worked on the art projects with me.

Tues.-"She's got a way about her...." Went to chapel today at school. I love the words that are spoken in chapel. There are no extra words. Besides the scriptures that are read, my favorite words are when Dr. Hubler says to the students, "The Lord be with you." And they say back, "And with thy spirit," and then he says, "Let us pray," and he does. Something in those words today reached into the sad areas of my soul. Sometimes, it's the kind words gently spoken that push me over the edge emotionally. Those are some of the kindest words I know. 'The Lord be with you. And with Thy spirit. Let us pray.'

I subbed for a 2nd grade class after Bible and taught several music classes today. I taught 2nd grade class again, later, and showed them how to do a cross word puzzle and they started to say, "I love doing cross word puzzles!" about half way through the process. In music class, we sang out of the 'Fun Song' book today and most of the kids got into it. I also played another of Handel's Messiah pieces-"For unto us a Child is born," after reading it first from Isaiah. They like to put their heads down and I turn the lights off and they just listen to the music without doing anything else. We had our first select choir practice today and we sang in 3 parts! Next week we need to start working on Christmas music.

We stopped at Janelle and Micah's on the way home and I took lots of pictures for an article that Jewel Sh~~ is writing about Janelle. She had an appt. with the vet afterwards for their new dog, Buddy, who has tapeworms. I think Janelle had read a bit too much about it on line and she was feeling a little creeped out. (Good News. The puppy has no fleas and he has received his first of two shots to get rid of the tapeworms. We are loving the puppy again.)
Phil and Philip are working on mowing the fields tonight. Phil also went to Alice C.'s viewing tonight.

I am thankful for the funny story a second grader told me today. I thought he said that he was happy because his dog began breathing for the first time last night. He had a stuffy nose and he actually said that his dog began breeding for the first time. He went into details that I cannot go into here but I was really blushing by the time he was finished and I was hoping that the little girl who appeared to be listening wasn't really taking it all in. (He has since been forbidden to talk about his dogs at school. His humble mother, who is also his teacher, told me so. She had heard the same detailed story from several different sources.)

I am thankful that the funeral home was packed with those whose lives had been impacted by Alice's life.
I am thankful that Michael came home a day early so he could attend the funeral tomorrow.
I am thankful for Susan's loud laughter while she's on the phone with Makenzie.
I am so thankful for Phil. The other night I told him that I write nice things about him on my blog. He said, "Oh, good." He sounded relieved, which struck me funny. Sometimes, he reads what I write if I ask him to. Sometimes, I write things that I worry might be taken offensively and he has always said after reading it, "What did you write? How could it be offensive? What you have written, you have written." So most of the time, I don't change anything.

Wed.-"Handel's Water Music"- Susan and I stayed home this morning and went with Michael to Alice Carneal's funeral at New Life. The kids told me that they had never been to a funeral that didn't involve a family member. I had not realized that. We sat in the balcony. I wasn't in Alice's inner circle of friends, but I am close to some who are, and I've been feeling so deeply for them. But today, my own loss hit me. I will really miss her. Even though our lives did not move in the same areas of influence, we really loved each other and would have been happy to be closer friends. In the casket, her hands were resting on an afghan she had been working on. It reminded me that we will never be finished with our work when it is time to go. Our inbox will never be empty. Lisa P. led the choir and church in some classic worship songs. "In Christ Alone," "Amazing Grace", "Shout to the Lord," "Turn Your eyes Upon Jesus," and maybe some others. Michael said it was the most meaningful worship service he's ever been in because of the 'classic' songs that were used. I heard his strong voice singing words I could not get out and I sang silently through him as his soaring baritone carried me into worship. "In Christ Alone" was especially meaningful to Susan. It was sung at Johnny's funeral. She remembers sitting on his lap when she was younger while he did some paperwork and he was singing that very song. Amanda, Alice's 16 year old daughter, shared a poem that her mother had written when her own mother had passed away when she was 15. Pastor Betty read the words that were written in the pamphlet and shared some memories. Pastor Frank prayed and spoke words of comfort to the family. He exhorted the church family to remember the Carneal family. 'Their family's normal life has been permanently altered even as we go back to our normal living. Don't forget to care for them in tangible ways in the weeks and months ahead.' Missi courageously sang a beautiful song with all of her strength and great love for Alice. A slide show of Alice's life was shown and it was very meaningful. I loved the picture of her and Charlie hugging, and Alice's foot was popped up. They looked so happy. Pastor Rob preached the sermon. He wore the tie he wore to Freeman and Alli's wedding because it is his 'celebration' tie. We are celebrating Alice's deliverance from sickness and pain. We are celebrating the fact that she is really alive now, with Jesus in Heaven, and waits to greet us at the gates. PR shared from Eph. 4:1-"Live a life worthy of your calling." What is your calling? We are called to be conformed to the likeness of God's Son. Our buckets of living water are to be so full that we splash Jesus on everyone we walk around. Jesus was the embodiment of love. So was Alice. Jesus was a servant leader. So was Alice. Jesus had sense of humor and was full of compassion. Just like Alice. PR shared that Alice desired that her extended family would have the opportunity to respond to the gift of salvation and several received that gift today. PR's final words were directed to Alice. He looked where she rested. He said something like, "So good-bye, dear, sweet friend...until tomorrow....". A group of young ladies carried out the bouquets of flowers that surrounded her coffin. I have never seen that done before. Most of those girls would have known Alice for most of their lives. It was very sweet. We headed towards home soon after the funeral. Susan said something interesting on the way home. She said something like, "Uncle Johnny and Miss Alice both loved God so much. They deserved this." I clarified. "They deserved to die and go to heaven?" "Yes," she replied. I think I like that point of view. Rested a bit and took a walk after we came home. I keep thinking about Alice and I am wondering about my own life. What kind of legacy would I leave if I died today?

Michael and Travis went fishing in the afternoon and Philip joined them later for catfishing down at the bridge. They had a great time.
I am thankful for Alice's life and that she is now free from pain.
I am thankful for the reminder to spend time with those who will weep at my funeral and at whose funeral I will weep.

I am thankful for the good time I had with Lindsay in the eve., walking around Longwood's campus. She showed me where everything was and I picked her brain about leading small groups. I am reading a book about small groups that I picked up years ago and it is the same one they use to train their leaders. F.A.T.-Good Leaders are Faithful, Available, and Teachable. Just a little note from that little book.

Thurs.-"Turn your eyes upon Jesus.." Went to school today. Prepared for art class and put up my music posters on the wall outside the room. Met Lisa H. at Baines for a wonderful two hour visit. I am always so encouraged when I am with her. Came back and taught art-K-2. We made thumb print pictures today. It was very much fun and they insisted on taking their pictures home, even though I wanted to hang them up. They said to do it again and that then I could keep those pictures. Susan and I got ice cream cones at Country Charm after school-her treat. Phil and Philip took Freeman's grill to work and they grilled burgers for lunch and after work, Philip and Freeman delivered the grill to its new home. Freeman came back here to pick up his car which Phil had driven home and I got some airblown kisses from Free as he drove off. Phil is at the neighbor's mowing hay and Susan will pick him up on the gator at dark. Michael is with Josh K. observing his Cutco presentation at a client's home. Philip is at Harvest YG Bible Study. Susan and I are watching an episode of Monk. I am cleaning up the kitchen and blogging during commercials. Yes, I am addicted to Monk. No, I am not sorry about it.

I am thankful for the fun time I had this morning talking with teachers in the hallway. We were laughing loudly and Dr. H. came around the corner and admonished us to make a bit less cackling noises please and to remember that this is a Christian Institution. He was being sarcastic. At least I think he was.
I am thankful for my time at Baine's with Lisa.
I am thankful that the rooster did not attack me on my walk to my cottage this eve. I picked up some rocks and was ready for war because he acted like it was all over for me. I threw them at him when I was safe from harm on the other side of the fence. I am scared of him until I feel safe and then I get mad.

Fri.-"And I will arise when He calls my name...no more sorrow, no more pain.." "From life's first cry to final breath...Jesus commands my destiny.." Sleepless night, more or less. Uneasy. Desperate praying. Day at home to do wash, clean up house a bit, cook chicken potpie, watch Monk, get groceries, study, exercise, blog, etc. Got groceries before picking up Susan from school. Phil is working over at the neighbor's, mowing their fields for hay. Gil just came with nine Chi Alpha Students. They are walking down to the river. Michael and Philip took a load of sleeping bags, tents, firewood, food, etc. down to the campsite. The Chi Alpha group is sleeping there tonight. I hope the dogs stay with them. Gil knows about the bear but the students do not. He told me to pick them up around 10 in the morning. He said that when he pulls into our driveway, he feels like he's coming home. I would proudly claim him as a son any day and I do just that. Alli and Freeman stopped in to use the internet and say hi and then they drove down in the gator to the river. It got pretty dark and chilly while they were down there. Philip said that the girls were squealing,"Look at all the spiders! "

I am thankful that Alli and Freeman stopped by.
I am thankful that Michael received his laptop in the mail today. He bought it himself and is having so much fun figuring out all kinds of things to do on it.
I am thankful that Susan is having such a good year at school.
I am thankful that I could walk out to the end of the lane and back today. I am not nearly as tired as I was during the first two weeks of school. I think I was fighting allergies, or something, with my throat being so sore and with being too tired to do much of anything.
I am thankful that God has promised to never leave us or forsake us.

Sat.-"Happy Birthday"-9/11/88-Happy Birthday, Philip! Philip has always been quick. Quick to learn. Quick to be kind. Quick to reconcile. Quick to do a job. He was quick to be born as well. 5 hours I think it was.
Didn't sleep well and woke up early-Troubled and praying. Added 5 entries to my mother's blog.
The Chi Alpha group left soon after 10. They heard some deer in the night and Gil thinks a bear was sniffing around his tent.

Alli and Freeman stopped by to pick up the truck. Freeman came back later to go hunting and pick up his car. Michael sold the Cutco set that he needed to sell in order to win a 3 day trip to Canada/NY/Niagra Falls in Nov. He's pretty happy. Susan and I cleaned some of the house today. I also did some wash, mended 5 pairs of pants, (I hope they still fit their owners), made chili, baked potatoes, broccoli with cheese sauce, and salad for supper, took a walk, etc. Susan made peanut butter cookies for Philip. He is 'saving' his cake for when company can come. Travis came to fish with the boys in the afternoon as a sort of birthday present to Philip. Tom and Tommy came over with the little girls and they are watching the movie 'The Flintstones' with Susan. The Tom's are working on the hay harvest. Earlier today, I received a call from the Gridleys.(caller ID) The man on the phone asked if dinner was ready and I thought it was Jamie clowning around so I said sure come right over and here it was Uncle Ollie! (Phil's mother's brother) He came down with Johnny Fisher. Angie brought him over and also her daughter, Erin, and her little boy, Corbin. He is 6 and he and Micah are great friends. They go to the same school and they are neighbors so they carpool and ride bus together. I warned him about the rooster and he did get a bit of a fright. Stupid rooster. Phil's been working with the hay all day.
I am thankful that I will get to see Alli and Freeman 3 days in a row!
I am thankful for Philip and his life.
I am thankful for the names that were read at the 9/11 Memorial Service, and how significant it was to the mourners to have their loved one's name read outloud.
I am thankful for the prayer of blessing Gil prayed for our family and farm today with the others who came. I knew God heard him and will answer.

Sun.-"I will arise when He calls my name...no more sorrow, no more pain..." Slept in until 8 and had to race around to get ready to go to church. We are enjoying our SS class with Dianna on Experiencing God. (Henry Blackbye) We looked at ways that God pursues us and discussed how Paul counted his past achievements and past failures as nothing, in comparison to knowing Christ and pursuing the prize of the high calling in Christ Jesus. Found out in church today that 12 people accepted Christ at Alice's funeral and one of them was her brother, for whom she had prayed for 22 years. Pastor Frank spoke about the NT type of the OT burning bush. Just as Moses waited in the wilderness and needed the experience of the burning bush to receive the power of God and His mandate, so did the believers wait in the upper room until they received power from on high and cloven tongues of fire appeared on their heads They received His mandate and His promise that they would be witnesses. Jesus waited 30 years, and before He entered into His years of ministry, He too, went through a wilderness experience and came out of that time filled with the power of the Holy Spirit. We, too, must learn to wait.

Came home and ate lunch and watched 'National Treasure.' Read for awhile outside and lazed the day away. I think that God did not just rest on the 7th day. I think maybe He created rest on the 7th day and I am so glad He did.

I am thankful for leftovers.
I am thankful for the new thoughts I am grasping on grace because of P.Yancey's book, "What's so Amazing About Grace?"
I am thankful that the very air in the church sanctuary seemed fresh and new and free today.
I am thankful for the security I have when I go around thinking, "I am the one Jesus loves and you are the one He loves as well.

No comments: