Monday, September 27, 2010

Hertzler Doings~Sept. 27-Oct.3, 2010

Mon.-"Behold I will do something new among you..." Little sleep. Took Susan to school, went to Walmart, came back home, said good bye to Michael, did some reading, washing, exercising, book work. Went out to check into Baine's book credit program, sent Cutco knives back to be sharpened, got music and art books out of library, picked Susan up at school. Came home to baked potatoes and baked sweet potatoes all ready to eat. Made broccoli and cheese. Warmed up chili. Made bacon..plus butter and sour cream. Perfect for a rainy day.

I am thankful for blueprint plans spread out all over the kitchen table.
I am thankful for the rain.
I am thankful for a daughter who does her homework without me telling her to.


Tues.-Not sleeping well. Woke up at 5:30 to get ready for school. Good day in school. We listened to "I know that my Redeemer Liveth" from Handel's Messiah. The words from this song are taken from the book of Job and Corinthians. I am reading through Job so I was telling the kids the story of Job and how he went through all those things in a space of 9 months. After his test was over and he prayed for his lousy friends, God restored double for all of his loss, and he lived a long, happy life. We talked about friendship and God's testing of our faith and how sometimes, we think that maybe we or others did something wrong when we go through a rough time, and that perhaps God is punishing us. I told them I had sung this song for a Fine Arts Festival in high school and one of the kids did his Simon imitation and pretended to be an insulting judge. It was a rather good imitation but I had to move things right along. They rested their heads on the table and endured nearly 6 minutes of soprano opera and I am not sure that anyone really enjoyed it.
I was thinking today of the power of words. If we speak words of a future and a hope to our students, how much easier it will be for them to attain that future and that hope.
Today I was talking with another teacher when they noticed a coyote on the field connected to our school. It seemed to hide in the bushes. Found out later it was in the news.

I am thankful for a chapel and a piano and a hymnbook.
I am thankful for the comfortable goodness of friendship.
I am thankful that Janelle and Micah came over tonight. Susan took pictures with her camera since Janelle's didn't work with the computer and now Janelle has the pictures she needs for the article being written about her. Did you know that 4-500 people check out her website daily? http://www.journey-through-grief/
Micah watched The Three Stooges. I love to hear his laughter. I had to be a beggar and go after him for kisses.
I am thankful that Christi is here, making soft pretzels with Philip.

Wed.-Music class went smoother with the extra helper and the clear definitions of responsibilities. One of the 2nd graders wanted to whistle 'Once in Royal David's City' and I said ok and he whistled it beautifully. The amazing thing was this. He drew in air and whistled 'backwards' for the whole song-no blowing out! That's hard to do. I tried and I can't do it. Raining. Alot. Went to church in eve. Met Lindsay and she took me over to the Student Lounge at Longwood where we met with two of the Chi Alpha girls, one of which will be in my small group.
I am thankful that Michael was coming home the same time we were getting on 460 and he turned around and caught up with us to say hello and then turned back home again.
I am thankful that Judy's surgery went better than expected and that we didn't come close to breaking out the banana split routine.
I am thankful for Phil.

Thurs.-Sang composer songs in chapel today. Read Job in my class room for awhile with a cup of coffee and banana chocolate chip muffins in hand. I wept with the rain for dear sweet Job. Rain. Rain. Rain. I love it. I had formed little playdough figures yesterday and dried them in the deyhydrator overnight and painted and sprayed them today. They are so adorable and I was thinking about how pleased I was with them and how that must be how God feels about us, His creation. My creations weren't perfect but I loved them because I made them. K-2 made them today too. We separated the girls and boys in K/1. Half of them went with Mrs. V, who read Robert McCloskey books to them and discussed a painting of a Hare-painted over 500 years ago. Next week, we'll switch the groups. This way, we can spend better quality time with the children. My day went so much better. Stopped for our weekly ice cream at Country Charm and bought a nice jacket for Susan at Millie's consignment shop. Susan made supper tonight. Homemade mac and cheese. I showed her the cheese sauce recipe in the Mennonite Cookbook.

I am thankful I have a daughter who sticks up for the under dog and I am thankful I have a wise husband who encourages her to do it in a 'more respectful way next time' and for his coaching on how to do so. I am thankful for fresh herbs, olive oil and homemade pesto sauce over pasta and that the chef was willing to share. I am thankful for the tiny little 4 year olds at school, who give a family like feeling to the whole school because they are so huggable.

Fri.-Nice day at home-cooking, cleaning, washing. Went to Spiggle's CCA's hot dog roast in eve. Philip and Michael were driving by Janelle's in the eve. and saw Micah sitting on the porch, so they stopped in and took him fishing. Philip and him had 5 sodas between them and Micah was getting hyper and had to pee off the boat, etc. They had fun talking to him like an adult. He was wondering why the guy wanted to sell his boat that the boys just bought and he said something like, "Maybe he needed the cash." Micah is 6.

I am thankful that the dessert I made-BTS cake-was a big hit tonight.
I am thankful for cool nights with windows open and for the necessary snuggling under the covers.
I am thankful for the Friday night Monk tradition.

Sat.-Went to church at 8. Bought our Farmville First t-shirts and helped ourselves to a free breakfast. Several hundred people came out to serve our community in various ways. We split up into teams and went our various ways. This is a list of things we did. Street cleaning, firewood delivery, window cleaning, giving of quarters at the laundromat, health screenings, diaper and coat give aways, free haircuts, and then a great deal was going on up at Haleys. There were inflatables for kids to play in, face painting, cotton candy, free hot dogs and water, clowns making balloon critters, etc. I know I am missing something. I was with Jess, Glenda, and Margaret at the laundromat on third street. We got to talk to a number of people and helped them pay for their wash. One lady went out and brought us a box of donuts. Several people came over when they left and shook our hands and thanked us. Some plan on visiting our church. I befriended several little girls and the one did her praise dance for me and the other sang a song she sings in choir..."God will do what He says He will do..." and I wonder if I will ever doubt that again hearing it the way I did from her sweet little lips and beautiful face. We went out to Haley's Auto Sales after we ran out of quarters and I picked up Susan, Haley, and Amy, and took them to Walmart where they bought colored hair spray and black nail polish. I am trying not to take it too seriously. Phil, Philip, and Freeman have all gone archery hunting some time today. Phil is out this eve. Michael is fishing. Chace is meeting him over at the lake. I automatically begin to make chocolate chip cookies when I hear that Chace is coming.
I am thankful for quarters and how it's the small things make people happy.
I am thankful for the gift Jess has with words.
I am thankful for her faith in God.

Sun.-Went to church outside today. Saw some folks I met yesterday. I waved vigorously at one and she tentatively waved back and when I got a chance to talk with her, I found out that she wasn't the person I thought she was. I asked her if she had a twin and she said no. Oh well. Gerald M., an evangelist, and his wife, Phyllis, shared with the church and the community the desire of God's heart for all to be saved. Quite a few people responded to the altar call. We had hamburgers and hotdogs, chips, cookies, and drinks for all who wanted them after the service.
I am thankful for Adi's pleasure in the paper boats, books, and airplanes, I made for her during the service. I am thankful for the great nap I had in the afternoon. I am thankful for the lives that were changed today.

No comments: