Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Book Report-"Never Surrender"

by LTG (Ret.) William G. Boykin with Lynn Vincent

I finished this last night, shortly before midnight.
I know I've been writing alot of book reports but I haven't
had much time on the computer lately and I'm trying to catch up.
I have read all of these books in the past few weeks
but I'm not completely lazy
although the house could be cleaned
and the 'attic' must be organized.

I can't not read.

If I am in someone else's bathroom
and there is nothing to read even for a half of a minute,
I grab a shampoo bottle and read the ingredients.
I know.
I've got problems.
But this isn't supposed to be about me.

I want to introduce you to LTG Jerry Boykin.
I met him one Sunday at church.
Well, I didn't actually meet him, but he spoke at our church on a Sunday morning,
which is a big deal if you knew our pastor.
He is very careful about who he shares the pulpit with
as well he should be.
I know of a church who wishes they had been more
careful about who they allowed to speak from the pulpit...but
I'm rambling now...

Mr. Boykin was part of the world's premier Special Operations unit,
Delta Force.
The book shares story after story of his adventures
in the Delta Force,
taking out the bad guys and helping to restore
law and order to countries longing for democracy.
He also risked his life many times for America.
Throughout his experiences, he relied on God
and was willing to ask Him the tough questions in life
such as "Why have you allowed this to happen?"

He uses some strong language but it is all cultural language-
the language of the military and of brave men.

I really can't express the sorrow I felt when I read
how our own media used and twisted his own
words against him to expose him falsely
as some kind of religious fanatic.
He was completely exonerated from those charges
just a few years ago.

LTG Boykin has many honors attached to his uniform
and his name but most of his exploits were performed
with very little recognition due to the sensitive nature
of their mission.
I know for a fact that he is an humble man
and is willing to speak into the lives of those who
need it most,
but due to the sensitive nature of
this mission, that is all I can say.

I heard from a school that is hoping to have him be their
first graduation commencement speaker.
If he agrees and things work out,
I will be there, for more reasons than one.

Just buy the book.
I have a signed copy.
If you buy a book,
I think I can get him to sign it for you.


No comments: