Sunday, July 19, 2009

Dear Lindsay-Nightmares

Dear Lindsay,

When I worked at the Children's Home in Red Lake, the children would have horrific nightmares about what happened to them in real life. Some of the children had lived through a fire that destroyed their home and they had nightmares for awhile. We would pick them up as they were screaming in terror, and take them to the closest window. When they could see their surroundings and realize where they were, that helped them get out of their nightmare and become aware of their new reality. We would pray for them too.

When I was a little girl, I had reoccurring nightmares about fire, and my parents let me sleep between them. My mother taught me Psalms 23 and I would say that to myself to calm my fears. Then she discovered that I would often get my sister to read a story from Uncle Art's Bible Story Book about fire. She put a stop to that and my fire dreams were dosed.

So, the next time one of the girls has a bad dream, let them take a look out of the front window. Bring them to bed with you and hold them close. And whisper in their ear, "The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want..." The memory of the nightmare will be extinguished with the closeness of your love and the truth of your words. You will not spoil them with your kindness. You will teach them to be kind.

Love and prayers,
Aunt Annie

No comments: