Monday, July 20, 2009

Excerpts from my own story

I am working through a book entitled, 'The Intentional Woman" by Carol Travilla and Joan C. Webb. Two other friends of mine are working through it as well and we meet together and share what we've written and what we are learning.

The book is, as it says on the cover, 'a guide to experiencing the power of your story.'

We are revisiting our childhood and adulthood and writing about the experiences that have shaped our lives.

I thought that I would record on my blog a list of some of my childhood memories for the sake of my children. It's OK if you read them but it's also OK if you don't. :)

The question is, "During your childhood and youth, what did you enjoy doing?'
My answers were, in no particular order, the following.

~playing with cousins
~making houses in the cornfields with my sister, Rosalee
~walking on the railroad tracks with my mother on Sunday afternoons
~staying overnight at my grandparents and friends
~family trips across the U.S.-camping for my mother, moteling for my dad
~waking up on Christmas morning
~going to Camp Hebron as a camper for 3 years and a counsellor for about the same
~Youth Group fun-camping at Chincoteague, singing around the piano, etc.
~Nature Guilds and Sign Language Guilds
~Reading and Writing
~School
~Choir and singing in Sextet through grade school and high school
~memorizing long poems because I wanted to
~riding in the rumble seat of my dad's Model T(A?) Ford
~cleaning the yard and working in the garden with my family
~playing board games and Dutch Blitz
~visiting people as a family on Sunday afternoons
~riding our horse, Shiloh
~Going places with Grandpa Landis, such as Rough and Tumble
~Going to the New Holland parade
~riding on the caboose on the train-my dad set this up
~Going to retreats and renewal meetings with my mother
~watching Candid Camera and I Love Lucy
~Going to Pine Knot Cabin with family and friends
~my mother reading to me
~I'm sure I'll think of more....

No comments: