Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Rugs

Every where I look, people are having the rugs pulled out from under them.
People are flying through the air and landing on their faces,
on their backsides, and on their knees.
They are breathless and in great pain.

I watch them with sympathy as I, too, tumble awkwardly about.

Are there any more rugs left to pull?

There's a verse in the Bible that says that eventually,
what can be shaken
will be shaken.

Rugs can be shaken.

What's under our rugs?

When the rug is pulled out from under us
anything we've swept under the rug comes
out with a whoof and a poof,
clouding our vision
and delaying our recovery time.
Anything not worked through
now MUST be worked through
and that without a rug to stand on.

I hope my missing rug
will reveal a hard wood floor,
sturdy and polished,
still gracious under the test of time.

I hope my missing rug doesn't
reveal unfinished business,
or unholy ties,
or splintered relationships.

I hope my missing rug
reveals a strong rock surface-
an "on-Christ-the-solid-rock-I-stand" kind of Rock.

All other ground is sinking sand.
And although a rug on top of sand
makes a soft bed
the shaking is coming
and no one likes getting
sand in their eyes.







2 comments:

mom2three said...

I LOVE THIS!!!! WOW!!!!!

Annie said...

Thank you mom2three. Personally, I'm weary of the rugs being pulled out from under me. I'd appreciate your prayers. Annie