Wednesday, July 22, 2009

When I'm hungry I don't hear you

Sometimes it's hard to concentrate in church because I am so hungry. I eat breakfast and I especially eat breakfast on Sundays so my stomach doesn't growl, but I still get hungry. When I'm hungry, it's hard to pay attention to the Words of God spoken from the pulpit. And I am just a little hungry. I've never known true physical hunger. I'm definitely not malnourished.

When the mission teams shared this Sunday, I heard loud and clear that if we want people to hear the gospel that we have to share, we need to care for their physical need of hunger first. (And perhaps shelter and clothing.) Jesus cared about hungry people. He taught people and fed them when they were hungry. He made enough leftover's so they could pack a little lunch for their long walk home.

Billy Graham, in his book,'Storm Warning', says it this way. "The debate that existed in the church between the liberals who supposedly minister to the body, and the evangelicals, who supposedly minister to the soul, can only be resolved if both sides learn from each other-and from the Bible. If the conservative church will come to see that the Bible also teaches that we must be concerned about both the soul and the body, and if the social church, on the other hand, will begin to realize that social action without the faithful proclamation of the truth of God's Word is futile, we can serve the kingdom of God together. We are called to minister to human bodies and human spirits simultaneously. As many have said, a starving man will not heed the Word unless he can see Jesus in your life; the two are inseparable."

I think it's interesting how Jesus is described in the Bible with food words.
"Bread of Life"
"Living Water"
(and inferred)-"Poured Out Wine"

Bread or rice is a staple in most cultures.
Water is every human beings link to life.

Jesus ministered to the entire human need.
He fed the hungry in body, soul, and spirit.

I think we're afraid to do that.
We don't want people to become dependent on us.
Jesus isn't afraid of people depending on Him.
Why are we?
Probably because their need is greater than our sources.
Their need is not greater than His Source, however,
and perhaps by meeting their need in part,
we will lead them to Him.

4 comments:

Lynne Burkholder said...

YOU! You are amazing. Your writing is like watching your heart beat, your chest moving with every breath. I just want to look over and ask you questions,that's how "present," in the now your writing is. Sherilyn at Robert's funeral took out of her purse folded pieces of paper, non-descript, common copier paper.
It was something she printed from your blog. The goosebumps.......poignant, to the heart of the matter. That's Annette. I'm in search of that particular blog, didn't find it this morning but I'm out of time. I have to mulch for the wedding reception that is taking place in my backyard, my haven. Robyn and RJ on August 15th will unite.
I have poured my heart into the yard. All the talk about the marriage ceremony being the most important part.........I'm just hoping people notice my yard! :) pathetic
You would be so proud of Mr. Joey Hertzler. He is soft, tender, compassionate, and a beautiful soul mate for Karen. I believe three children who just lost their dad will be blessed beyond measure by the love that will come from Aunt Karen and Uncle Joe!
I hugged Deb Hertzler and asked about Jordan. She cried and we just hugged. She wonders how much more she can take??? I sat with Linda Hertzler at the funeral and loved being near her. At the luncheon Paul sidded up to me and asked me, "what bee was up your butt that you didn't want to play with me?" I love that man, what other man would ask me that at church? And it's only cause he loves me in his very Paul way. They asked me to play hymns but Rick Rowe was playing everything else and I assured Cindy that she didn't need to feel the need to ask me just because of my reputation for loving to play at funerals. I told Paul that if I could have I would have kicked Rick off of the piano and done it all!
In the grave yard Anne Stott took me to see the beautiful grave stone of dear Johnny. I want the exact thing. The Hertzlers have meant and still mean so much to me. What a family and what an honor to know them!
I so miss you. I have read that silly recipe book that you gave me and marvel at that gift! Your comments are so funny, I laugh out loud. You and me, we be funny together.
I so wish you knew my younger children. You would just want to take Jesse and be with him. He is my companion and his love for me is such a gift!
I have prayed for your dear sister and you. I................unbelievable.
Love to you, keep blogging, you make me want to be consistent with it.

Annie said...

Dear Lynney,
You have me crying...Thanks so much for your friendship and your encouragement. Thanks for giving me a glimpse into Robert's special day. Thanks for thinking so much of the Hertzler's. What a family to be a part of. I love them all. I love you too. Once in awhile, I get into hysterics,thinking about our attention getting fight over my rap and your helping sounds. I think we could win some money on that one. Love you so, Annette
P.S. I prayed your prayers with you on Robert's blog, weeping, as I cried, "Breathe, Robert. Breathe."

Lynne Burkholder said...

Your too tweet.
I got to blogging the other day, go to it- Lynneburkholder.com. click Sunday school which this has nothing to do with Sunday school, gotta change that.
You have me inspired, though it's less spiritual but very needed for me to do( my attitude must remain loving) and when I go to see the President, did you want to come?

Back at ya!

Annie said...

I don't really want to see the President. I want to see George. I miss him. I'll check out your writings. Have a happy day on the 15th. Our 27th is coming up on Aug. 14. XO Annette