Sunday, November 15, 2009

Catch-Up Blog

Well, it's been a month of Sundays since I've written.
It's hard to know where to begin.
I decided to write a catch-up blog so I could start blogging again on a regular basis. My notebook is backlogged and I could never write an individual blog about all the things I want to write about. This is mainly for my own sake-to declutter my mind, but if you want to read it, you are welcome to.

First of all, Hertzler Doings. The oldest three male Hertzler's have been busy working on the Abbey in Richmond. Philip was foreman on a job on a military base in D.C. setting trusses. It went well for him. He is ready for Christi to come home from Guatemala. Freeman's busy with work, Chi Alpha, and the musical and spending time with Alli. I just found out he is playing Elvis in the musical as well as some other characters. The guys have shot several deer and Phil hit one with his truck and he butchered that one as well. Michael is back to work at Krogers and has been busy working on getting scholarships for Liberty. He is planning to go into their aviation program in the spring of 2010. He bought a used car and wants to sell the red Cadillac before he starts driving this one. He is learning fencing in school and loves it. He and Philip have been fencing all of their lives, but they didn't know the rules before. Susan is happy with the farm truck Phil is allowing her to call her own. She drives out the lane to get the mail. It's just her size. Her grades were very good this term. Makenzie, her closest friend from school, said good-bye to us last week. She and her mother are moving back to their home in Kentucky. We will miss them but we are planning a road trip this summer and we want to fly down to FL. when Sam's job takes him there. I've been busy at school, getting ready for the Christmas Program: Lessons and Carols.

Chi Alpha, the Christian group at Longwood, came over on Nov. 7th for their annual hayride and bonfire. There were over 30 people here so Phil showed Gil how to drive the tractor and Phil pulled a wagon with the four-wheeler. Most of the kids were on a wagon behind Gil and every time he'd start up, Lindsay and I could hear the kids scream. He wasn't so smooth. They got to see our resident eagle and our resident cows. We roasted hot dogs and marshmellows and I showed the Chinese students how to make s'mores. They played some games, like 'Who Can Dance the Best' and "Who can carve ivory soap into something Beautiful.' It was so much fun.

Yesterday, about 70 women got together in the basement of our church and enjoyed a Christmas Craft/Candy Event. I had a table full of candy along with the recipes on how to make them. Other women from church shared their crafts and candy. It was alot of fun and I loved to see the women sitting around talking together. Catherine M~, Amy H~, Lindsay B~, and I are planning get-togethers for the women every 2 months. Oh-we've had a ladies retreat since I've written-chocolate theme-"Oh taste and see that the Lord is good." Lindsay and Julie were my roomies.

The rest of the family has graduated from the program our insurance company put us on to help us lose weight. I am the slowpoke. I still need to lose 2 1/2 inches around the waist and ten more pounds. My blood work has improved however and they are giving me until the end of January to accomplish these other goals. I feel so much better when I eat whole foods. I've had some smidgens of sugar these last few days and I truly cannot handle it.

The main reason I haven't taken the time to blog is because I have been focused on cleaning out the clutter in my life. Carleen has been helping me for several Thursdays. She is such a good organizer and I don't mind letting her see my mess. I've also been focusing on exercising and eating well. A friend told me something that has helped me figure out my priorities. She said that 80% of what we do, others can do. 15% or what we do, we can teach someone else how to do it. But 5 % of what we do, only we can do, and that 5% makes up our core values. I've been focusing on that 5%. But I also have been finding that I am slightly agitated because I haven't had time to write and I don't like feeling this way.

I've been reading some good books. I liked them all and would read all of them again except for the book on Susanna Wesley;her husband was just too annoying and I don't care to remind myself of his behavior. Otherwise, the following books I highly recommend: "The Bible or the Axe," "Two in the Far North", "Red Sea Rules", "Lists to Live By", "George and Laura-Portrait of an American Marriage", "On Hitler's Mountain", and "The Client."

I've finished the following books of the Bible:Acts, Romans, Deuteronomy, Zachariah, Malachi, and Matthew.

Some of the things that have been on my mind and that I'd like to write about when I get a chance are the following:
~We are all missing Phil's brother, Johnny, so very much. We are crying more now than we did half a year ago. Is it because his birthday was Nov. 4? Is it because we found a new batch of pictures? Is it because the eagle, who showed up on our property after his death, is visiting us again?
~Mother is better but needs to be better still.
~My sister and the awful sorrow of the loss of her precious son. How she misses him!
~The danger of an "us" and "them" mentality especially in the spiritual realm. I think we border on being a Pharisee when we look at 'sinners' and don't realize that 'we' are 'them.' Sinners were comfortable with Jesus. Pharisees were not.
~How we non-cussers take the name of the Lord in vain.
~How Ronald Reagan campaigned at my dad's business-New Holland Sales Stables. I need to get that story down. My dad said that his hands were huge.
~The dream I had about having a baby named Kling, and how someone told me that it meant that someone was clinging to me and draining the life from me and how I realized that it wasn't a person, - it was sorrow.
~The ebb and flow in relationships, especially marriage.
~That it takes two to make a marriage work but only one to sabotage it.
~How in the church, it is easier to reach out to the community than it is to heal your own body; It's easier to make new acquaintances than to deepen friendships.
~That not saying 'No' to someone's dream does not mean that you are saying 'Yes.'
~Fanny Crosby-what an amazing woman!
~We cannot pray in faith for our own physical healing when we know we are doing things that promote sickness in our body. Our hearts will condemn us and our faith will be shaky.
~How do those who should be disciplers disciple others when they themselves have never been discipled?

Those are some of the things I've been thinking about.

CCA Smile Files?-These are both about Dr. Hub~~~He's a funny guy. My daughter gets teased by him but she can sure give it back to him. She deeply respects him and he makes school fun for her. The Hubler's had started a school in Phila. some years ago, and they invited their fencing team to come and show our fencing team some fancy foot and 'sword' work. We were all in the gym watching and I was watching Michael. I said to Dr. H.,"I like watching Michael's face because he is so engrossed with what is going on." Dr. H. said, " I would watch his face, too, but it scares me too much." Another day, Susan and him were comparing notes about what he had said about Michael's face and she got very close to him with her face and her finger and glared at him and said, "You know what?....I completely agree with you." Then she sat down. He said, "My life just flashed before me eyes," in an Irish accent. He didn't know what was going to happen to him.
Here's another story about Dr. Hubler. He was all dressed up in a suit and tie and I said, "You are all dressed up. Are you going somewhere?" He said,"I wasn't feeling so well when I woke up this morning so I decided to dress up and sit at my desk with my arms crossed across my chest to save the undertaker some work in case I pop off."
~~~Kincaid said the other day, "Dr. Hubler is the best principal I've ever had." Apparently he had another principal when he was in kindergarten whom he never saw or spoke to. I've noticed that Kincaid and Dr. H. have a little foot game they play. Kincaid steps on Dr. H's foot-hard- and it is a compliment of relationship when he does it. I can't quite figure it out but that's OK. They have an understanding.

I haven't blogged any Sunday sermons for awhile either. This month, Pastor Frank has been preaching from Ezekial 47. In our walk with God, there is a river which represents the way the Holy Spirit is moving. We can play it safe and walk along the bank of the river and be splashed with the water of blessing from those who are deeper in or we go in deep enough to get our feet wet or a little deeper, or we can go in to the middle of the river, where we not able to touch bottom. We are no longer in control but are at the 'mercy' of the current of the river. We can float or swim here and be immersed in the quality and character of the river. It is risky but it's where the healing waters flow that bring life to the dead seas. When we are living in this part of the river, we say the right things to people just when they need it and we are unaware of it. We notice people-notice the 'trees' along the bank. Trees represent people. We treat others with the same mercy and grace with which Christ continues to treat us. We love them and want them to experience everything good that we have experienced in Him. The competition and comparison are gone and we see life through God's perspective and He definitely sees His cup as more than half full.
Pastor Frank also spoke about the four faced creature who worships God at the throne. The human side of their face represents the ability to feel the infirmities and joys of others; it represents our vulnerability and authenticity. The side of the face that looks like a lion represents boldness and authority. The appearance of the ox represents steadiness and strength of character that gets the job done. And the eagle's face represents the ability to see what lies ahead and what lies behind and is able to bring it all together with clarity and wisdom.
God is looking for people who have the character of the four-faced creature. He is looking for those who are compassionate and are able to identify with the humanness of humanity. He is looking for those who are bold and will take risks and who will not shrink back from the authority He's invested in them. He is looking for those who are faithful in their homes and in their jobs and will finish the work they have been entrusted with. And He is looking for those who can see beyond themselves into their communities, their nation, and their world. He is looking for those who see the treasure hidden in their brother's and sister's lives and are willing to mine for it.

I thought of Jesus when Pastor Frank described the four-faced creature. Jesus became human and dwelt among us. He knows and understands every temptation we face. He is the Lion of the Tribe of Judah-brave and strong. He is like an ox-steadfast-setting His face like flint towards Jerusalem to face the cross. And He is like the eagle. He saw the joy that was set before Him-you and I-and so endured the cross and despised its shame.
I didn't look at my notes while I just now summarized Pastor Frank's sermons so don't blame him if it's not clear. It is my own understanding and take on his sermons and I am still working on understanding this particular message and what it means in my life. Is floating in the river and abiding in Him the same thing? I am also trying to figure out if one needs to know how to swim before he/she should be inspired to jump into the middle of the river. Does the river keep you afloat or does being grounded keep you afloat? Perhaps having the characteristics of the four-faced creature keeps you afloat. I am thinking about these things. Perhaps I am thinking too hard.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wow. That felt good. Now I can start to write individual blogs again. I can't stop smiling. I needed to write.

No comments: