Monday, November 23, 2009

Redemption

It's hard to know where to begin when telling the story about Janelle's and my trip to Thailand. Maybe I'll begin at the end. As we travelled home, I began to write the letter that the missions support team had asked me to write. I found it in Johnny's box today. I hope to write more at another time about our trip to Thailand. I always think about it at this time of year.

We left for Thailand on Nov. 15 and got home on Dec. 1. Here is my summary letter.

"When Janelle and I began our trip to Thailand, we were hoping to find some closure to this season of unexpected sorrow. Instead of closing doors on sorrow, however, we found that being acquainted with grief opened the doors of redemption.

We were in Det Udom for approximately an hour when we received devastating news-Nee's son, Jack, (7) drowned in a nearby pond soon after our arrival. Nee was John's and Janelle's housekeeper and friend while living in Det. It was a great comfort to Nee to have Janelle by her side throughout the funeral and sorrow-filled days that followed. Please pray for Nee and her unsaved husband and their two remaining children.

Throughout our stay Janelle would say things like, "This is where John and I would come for ice cream," or "This was John's favorite meal." This was bittersweet. Bitter because he was no longer there to do these things with Janelle, but sweet to walk in his footsteps, to see the people he loved, to eat his favorite food (or at least try).

When one gives of himself, there is no losing him, even when he is gone. Many said that John encouraged them, believed the best of them, and helped them love God more. John had given himself away and I saw him everywhere.

On Sunday, we went to the joint meeting at Palenchai. That is where John was headed on July 24, 2005. We pulled off to the side of the road at the approximate place where the accident occurred. I find no words to describe this experience.

Earlier in the week I had written a letter to Mr. Som Pon expressing the desire of the Hertzler Family to forgive him for being the cause of our great loss. (Carol Tobin translated it for me.) Enclosed with the card was a photo of the entire Hertzler family taken in the summer of 2004. When we arrived at the church service, I completely forgot that Mr. Som Pon would be there. The very thing I had dreaded no longer had power over me! Skip Tobin took me over to meet Mr. Som Pon and as I gave him the letter, I could look at him and love him and I knew that I had received a miracle from God. It was much the same for Janelle. Although she did not have opportunity to talk with him, she found that she could look at him and pray for him and hope the best for his life.

Pastor Joi told Janelle that since John's death the church members are volunteering to do more work. They have seen the great sacrifice of John's life and are now more willing to give of themselves.

So on our trip to Thailand to find comfort and closure, we found Redemption and Joy and for this we are truly grateful. Thanks be to God and to all of you whose prayers carried us through."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
During the church service at Palanchai, we were served Communion. Sticky rice was our bread. "And Jesus took sticky rice..." they read. We were served 'wine' that tasted like watered down cough syrup. One of the YES Team guys leaned over and whispered,"These cups are shot glasses from WW11." There were red swastikas etched on the bottoms.

After communion, we walked down a trail to a muddy pond. Several people got in the pond and stood looking towards the pastors standing on the bank. The pastors read some scriptures and said a few words and then the people in the water ducked down into the water. They baptized themselves! The pastors didn't want to go their clothes all wet and muddy since there were no showers and they were spending the weekend in the outdoor pavilion.

Mr. Som Pon stood by the bank of the pond with the white edge of my letter sticking out of his pocket. He clapped his hands during the singing and looked like he wanted to jump in. I found out later that he had already become a believer and wanted to be baptized, but Pastor Joi wanted to wait and make sure that it was a genuine change. Several months later, when my in-laws came to visit the folks in Thailand, they had the privilege of seeing him get baptized.

The latest news that I have received about Mr. Som Pon is that he needs our prayers in order to stand firm in his faith. His own unbelieving wife and relatives are begging him to go back to church because his life had become so profoundly different after he accepted Christ. Please pray for him.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
To be continued....

No comments: