Monday, November 23, 2009

Hertzler Doings-Nov. 23-29, 2009

Mon.-Went to church to answer phones for Missi. Her sister was having a baby in Pa. Sold 48 Christmas Musical Tickets. One of our buddies from church called and asked for another secretary. He went on to say that he had bought a shoofly pie from the bake sale and had gotten one for her family. He didn't like his and wanted to give her his pie if she liked the pie. He was going on about how he doesn't like sorghum molasses and I was laughing and telling him that it was Penna. Dutch and after awhile he says,"You didn't make the pies, did you?" And I kept on laughing and said, "Yes, I did." He said,"Jesus (and he meant it), give me another line!" He was a bit mortified and went on to say that it was the molasses that he didn't like, that I was a good cook, etc. etc. Anyway, I told him I'd make him the pumpkin pie that he was hankering for in the first place. Betty G. gave me a compliment today. She said that people are not intimidated by me because I smell good and laugh.

Today, I wished anew that I had a degree in counselling. Sometimes being a friend isn't enough.

Michael went to work after school. Susan did her homework and we watched another Christmas movie-"Fallen Angels." It was a good one. I love when the movie theme is about Reconciliation, especially at Christmas.

Tues.-Taught 6/7, K, 1, 8-12th, and select choir. Very tired. Meg and Leah Davis stopped in at school for a visit. I ran into Lori King at Kroger on my break and we set up a time to meet next week on my Tues. break. It was so nice to see her again and catch up on our family news. She and her husband pastor at Evergreen and we had visited their church when we first moved.
I realized today that I am most perfectly happy teaching music at CCA. It is a wonderful experience to build a child. I want my time there to count. Today, after the Kindergartners and first graders finished practicing their Christmas songs, I gave them homemade Koolaid play dough and told them to make something Christmassy with it. I punched in 'Silent Night' on the CD and hit replay and we formed Christmas trees, baby Jesus, penguins, and cats. I am hoping that they learned the words to their "Silent Night" song for the program. I don't know how they couldn't have. Took Susan back to Dr. Sh~~~. He's sending her to get some physical therapy. Thinks her discs got moved in opposite ways. Therapy should help. Michael working at Krogers again tonight. He looked so tired at school. Janelle and Micah are about to come for their several day visit. The house is clean and it smells good. A candle is burning and I bought a cinnamon broom today. My mind is full of the song, "...Oh Night Divine...Oh Night...when Christ was born." The four girls who sing together in the select choir, blend well and have beautiful voices. My soul soars when I hear them sing.

Wed.-Micah and Janelle got her around 7 last eve. It felt like they had never left. She wrote on face book that it is nice when your relative is also your friend. We went to Farmville today. She interviewed Roger M. for a school project she is working on while I read books to Micah. He is a pleasure to read books to. We went to Roses and found the exact clothes that Janelle was looking for. Susan found her high top sneakers. We got three pairs! Her back is almost normal today. It is wonderful to see her move around freely without crying out in pain. I am not sure if she will need therapy or not after all. We ate lunch at Country Cookin' and ate lots of salad. Also went to Walmart and Micah got to pick out a toy with some money his mom had given him. We came home and put things away and went on a gator ride. Phil, Freeman and Philip were here when we got back. They left last Friday morning to go to NY to hunt deer. Phil got one. Then they went to Pa. to the Lucky 13 cabin to go bear hunting. Mike F- met them there. Phil got a bear. Duck gave them his. The Hunting Gang got 5 bear altogether. The boys are out butchering bear right now and Phil is spending some time with Micah, watching The Three Stooges. We all sat around the table tonight and had a supper of hot dogs, french fries, baked beans, cole slaw, asparagus, and baby tomatoes. It was really nice to all be together again.

Thurs-Thanksgiving Day. Philip and Freeman both shot a deer. Went to Tom's for lunch. Lindsay, Emma, and Adi joined us. Janelle and Micah were with us as well. This is what we had for lunch. Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, cashew sweet potatoes, corn, green beans, tossed salad, cranberry salad, applesauce, rolls, cranberry sauce, pickles, olives, pickled red beets, Breyer's ice cream, Pumpkin torte, pecan pie, and Mennonite champagne (grape juice mixed with ginger ale) After lunch, Helen and Janelle, Lindsay and the girls and I went for a walk. Lindsay and I came back early because the girls were getting too tired to walk. Tom was having target practice with some of the kids and they were shooting toward the rise in their field which was towards the road. Lindsay said with bewilderment in her voice, "Didn't we just come from there?" Helen and Janelle heard the shots rustling through the bushes. Helen hit the road, flat out, and Janelle squatted. Then they tried to stay behind the cows while they walked, thinking that the bullets would hit the cows first. When they could see Tom, Helen screamed, "Stop Shooting at Us!!!" A truck went by, giving them a wide berth. They didn't look normal what with their strange movements, etc. We were wondering what the neighbors thought with Helen screaming and all. Meredith said, "Can you imagine my parents living in Farmville?" That would be a 'No.' I asked Tom later if he had stopped shooting at his wife. He couldn't say yes or no. Either answer would be incriminating. Phil, Philip and Freeman came home before supper to butcher bear and deer. Our freezer is full now. The rest of us stayed for turkey sandwiches and more mashed potatoes and gravy. I know I gained at least 3 pounds. Came home and got our things put away and watched "I saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus." The little boy in the movie looked just like Micah.

Fri.-Made pancakes for breakfast. Went to the river for lunch and fought with wet wood and finally won and got my fire built after first digging a very large hole. It was really windy. Roasted hot dogs and dodged smoke for several hours while Micah and Susan made a small village with Playmobils and sticks and stones. I took my hot dog stick out of the fire and began eating my hot dog from the stick. Hit my face with the hot metal and now I have a red burn line going down my chin. Relaxed in the afternoon and continued to eat way too much. Phil brought me a beautiful manger scene as an early Christmas gift. He got it from the Benedictine Abbey's Gift Shop. Three wisemen with nativity scenes painted on the lower half of the figurines and along the sides. I've never seen anything like it. Put together, it makes the manger scene. Very beautiful.

Sat.-Cleaning and washing. Michael shot a nice buck which he is making into jerky. Watched "Second-hand Lions" with Micah, Janelle, and Susan. One of my favorite movies. You laugh. You cry. And even the swearing is delightful. Went over to Doreen's and had a lesson in butter making. Janelle worked on her class work and Micah and Susan played games in the afternoon.
Janelle and Micah went to Tom's in the eve. and will be there until Tues. morning.

Sun.-Church in morning. Brunswick stew, popcorn, and Monk marathon in afternoon and evening. Rested all day. Freeman at dress rehearsal for Christmas musical.

No comments: