Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Hertzler Doings-May 10-16, 2010

Mon.-Happy 52nd Birthday to me. Call from mother, Rosalee, Linda, and Judy. David and Margaret called and SANG! I have it recorded and told everyone not to erase it. Just recently, the phone message from my oldest brother was erased from last year and I was not happy about that. Card from Diane H. and over 100 birthday greetings from face book friends. I answered each one and was so encouraged by the things they said. I want to be more faithful in sending out birthday greetings on fb.
Having upper respiratory trouble. Can't talk without coughing. Couldn't sing at all yesterday.
Rested today and got some food made and frozen for the week I will be gone. Freeman made specialty burgers and I made homemade fries and asparagus.

Tues.-Phil called in 'sick' for me since I can barely talk. Coughing spasms. Pretty sure it started when they were bringing stuff in from the old van on Sat. So much black mold and dust. Drs. appt. this morning and I hope they give me a breathing treatment. I feel closed in. Dr. gave beathing treatment since no air was getting into my lower lungs. Also put me on steroids, musinex, something like codeine without the sleepy part, and an inhaler. So sleepy and tired.
Kids are being extra sweet. 'I hope you feel better mommy,' with hugs.

Wed.-Thinking through friendships. My life is like a bank. There are different friendship accounts in it. Deposits must be made into the accounts if the withdrawals keep taking place. A friend who only withdraws will soon find their account closed out. Was thinking about that at 1 this morning. Shaky and tired. Work a little, rest a little. Trying to pack and get things together for trip to Pa. Phil is working on blueprints on the kitchen table and he talks outloud to himself. I kinda like it.

Thurs.-Took 8.45 hr. to drive to Mother's, fighting sleep and body numbness by listening to scriptures and getting out to walk. Rosalee came over and we had supper together and caught up on each other's news. Followed R. to Weaverland cementery to see Abie's gravestone. It was beautiful, as far as gravestones go. We actually joked. His stone is a bit close to the neighboring stone and they have obtained 3 plots. R. said that she didn't want to be buried beside someone she didn't know, which struck my funny bone and I said, "Well, you'd have all eternity to get acquainted," and she giggled and made a knock knock sign with her hand as she said the words. Our theology was a bit off but it was a bit of relief after the tears. On the one side of his gravestone, it has Sch----written in large italic letters with the verse, "In His presence is fullness of joy." On the back, it's engraved with his full name with the name we called him. A beautiful wilderness scene with animals, trees, and a lake is etched under his name. R. and her husband and one daughter are leaving for Israel on Monday for 15 days. They will be in Nazareth on the anniversary of Abie's death. Went from there to Naomi's to spend the night. Lisa T. and her girls were there. Ashley showed me pictures of 'Bundle'. I fell asleep in the guestroom, listening to the girls happy chatter.

Fri.-Woke up at 4. Left Bev's at 5:15 and arrived at Ocean City, N.J. at 7:15. We rented a lovely beach home one block from the ocean. 3 full days and 2 nights for $95 each. After Naomi's breakfast of baked oatmeal, fresh fruit, and coffee, we sat around and talked. Three of us walked to the boardwalk and I bought some candy for our parents and family. Came back and ate Rosa's lunch of pulled pork sandwiches and mac salad, chips, fresh pineapple, and sat on the beach for several hours. After showers, we ate at Charlie's on the boardwalk-fresh salmon on salad and sweet potato fries. Got soft ice cream on way back while watching a dark cloud cover take over graying skies. Wild lightning and monsoon rains and thunder for several hours.Watched 'Sahara'. We all love storms and we turned the blinds so we could see the lightning better. Bev and I shared king size bed room. We all talked and laughed and shared things we don't share with others. What a friendship we all have. Naomi and I have been doing this 15 years now and Bev and Rosa joined us probably 10 years ago.

Sat.-ate Bev's homemade mushroom, spinach, and swiss cheese quiche. Contrary to self inflicted rumors, that girl CAN cook! Went to Atlantic City and shopped from 11:30-3:00. The girls helped me find a dress for grad at Dress Barn. Also bought two pair of dress trouser jeans marked down to 14.50 from $50-$58. Went to Crab Trap for supper-Bloomin' onion to share plus salmon, baked potato, mixed veggies and spinach plus salad. Took a nap. Sat out on beach in the eve. but the little gnats were flying in our eyes, nose, and ears and we had to go in. Watched 1 1/2 movies. We're getting old...

Sun.-Woke up at 4:30 very dehydrated. Couldn't stop drinking water and felt dizzy. Ate Crap Trap leftovers for my breakfast. Took a nap after breakfast. Went out to Asbury Kitchen Shop and bought beach napkins. I want to start making plates for the beach girls and add a plate or bowl, etc. each year. Made my taco salad for lunch. Sat out on beach for several hours. came back and washed towels, cleaned house, and packed. While the towels dried, we went out to boardwalk one last time and ate pizza. Bought a lime green sweatshirt to keep warm. Had admired it the first day there. Left at 7 and arrived back at Bev's at 8:45. A wonderful weekend of eating, sleeping, resting, talking, laughing (we were surprised that the cops weren't called in at one point), watching movies, crying, etc. We have seen each other through deaths, sicknesses, and tragedy. We always talk about doing this when we are 90. Bev told me she has never seen me so happy. She thinks that the music teaching job has caused me to bloom. What happens at the beach, stays at the beach, so that's all that I can share. Got to Truman's after Micah was in bed. Dad looks good. Mom still has residual coughing from a bad bout of bronchitis. So good to be back home here with them.

No comments: