Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Hertzler Doings-May 24-30, 2010

Mon.-Happy Birthday, brother Abe. Still trying to play catch up. Very little energy. Something weighing heavy on me was fixed today and now it is mostly behind me. So grateful for a friend's help in the matter. Went to bed early. Been in a no-sleeping zone for few days.

Tues-Took my vitamins today and had a much better day after good sleep last night. Worked in garden most of the day. Weeded, hoed, and 'strawed' almost everything. Michael and Susan stuck with me for most of the time. Susan made supper-'pizza' and raw veggies. Michael mowed. Phil and Freeman working at Janelle's and in the fields. Hands are blistered and stained green. So thankful for the energy to work. Was starting to think I had mono.

Wed.-Went to Dr. Forand. Susan needs calcium and thyroid help. Went to Cut-ups to get Susan's hair trimmed. Went to Sam's Club to get things for Pig Roast. Back to True Value and new Walmart in Appomattox. Went to church in eve. Had chest pain for much of the day with some left arm pain. Spent some time in the Farmville cemetery thinking about life and letting go of some of my worries. As I was walking/sitting/musing two deer came to the edge of the woods and we watched each other. A red cardinal was flitting around on the branches above their heads. 15 min. in the cemetery was like an hour at my river. He restoreth my soul. Spent the eve. with Lindsay and Addison. L. helped me make a new blog entitled 'I.B.Lieve.' It will contain some of my mother's writings. It's on the sidebar on my blog and I hope to enter some things into it tomorrow.

Thurs.-Susan slept well last night. I could see it in her eyes as soon as she woke up. I slept well too. Calcium helped. Did lots of odd jobs today and caught up on phone calls and blogging. Entered some things in mother's blog. Got the heat wrap at Dr.Forands. Endurance test. Phil and Freeman put in Janelle's fire place today. Michael at the Watsons, working on year book. Made bruschetta and kale soup for lunch today. French bread pizza for supper. Philip is working with Dan P's work crew this week. Susan's hair cut is adorable and it curls around her face when she does not straighten it.

Fri.-Michael, Susan, and I finished weeding the garden and put straw over the ground between the plants. Now, we wait for the harvest. Started making something for Alli.

Sat.-Finished Alli's gift. Made jello salad and mashed potatoes for the Hertzler lunch tomorrow. Had a family meeting to make Pig Roast plans. Everyone working hard all day. Susan made peanut butter eggs on Thurs. and today we dipped them in chocolate, wrapped them, and put them in gift bags for grad and birthday gifts. Freeman made supper of chicken and french fried potatoes. He loves kitchen gadgets and he bought a french fry cutter and will fry them in is deep fryer. He is smoking the turkey and using a can full of soda and an onion and honey barbeque sauce in the process. I think he should open up a restaurant and call it "Freeman's Grill." Sometimes, our small kitchen frustrates me just a little, because everyone in our family likes to cook-esp. Susan, Michael, and Freeman. Michael said the other day, "We need a bigger kitchen."

Abbi and Serena were here late afternoon and helped Susan feed her 'Mexican's, Carlos and Pedro, her little calves. Trying to vacuum and wash the floors too late in the day. I was singing to the little girls, "They baptized Thomas Wesley...at Trinity this Sunday...Jesus gained a soul.."
They giggled while I gave them another 'crazy aunt' memory.

Sun.-Had a nice amount of time to drink tea and study this morn. Saw the inside of Janelle's house. Beautiful. Went to Trinity at 10:45 to witness nephew Tommy's baptism. Troy and Tyler also baptized. Enjoyed the hymns Tom led and the youth group worship team singing 'Blessed Be Your Name' and other worship favorites. Bethany sang and Meredith played bass. Hands were raised and clapped throughout the songs and it was a time of refreshing. Ray preached on being intentional in being committed. Before baptism, one is already committed to Christ. Baptism is like setting a monument or a mark to commit to never turning back or away from Christ, just as a wedding, sets a monument or mark, to always be committed to the love you have for your spouse before you are married. The baptism; the wedding; are the monuments of love and commitment. My notes are not in front of me and I hope I've done his word justice. People stood around and talked with each other for a long time. Sweet fellowship. Went to Tom's for lunch. Met some spanish speaking folks and once again, I wish I knew that language. The lady came up to us women before they left, and hugged and kissed us. I remember how generous and kind the Mexican culture is from the time we took the Conestoga high school there on a missions trip. We prayed that God would multiply the food because there were more people there than were expected and we had plenty. Bethany and I took a nap on the sofa and when I woke up, Abbi showed me her artwork, Serena showed me her pet wild rabbit and Michelle shared some writing from her journal. Throughout our visit, Freeman and Phil took turns playing on the guitar and we sang from time to time. We had lots of Helen's homemade pies and ice cream for dessert and sweet tea, meatloaf, salad, mashed potatoes, peas, homemade bread and jam, pickles, applesauce, and jello salad for lunch. No wonder I needed a nap suddenly. Came home and looked for Susan's frog, Starburst, who disappeared during the night. We played the piano because usually he starts to sing when we do. Silence. Phil and I took Susan to Kelly's for a birthday sleepover. Cassidy and Sara there too.
Betty and I caught up on life while Phil caught up on sleep. Took a wrong turn on the way home and traveled roads we never have before. ( Took me back to my childhood when a Sunday afternoon past-time was drives on back roads. Everytime we came to a different road, my dad would give us kids turns in telling which way to go. We tried to give directions to the nearest tastee freeze and we usually were successful.) The boys had a number of friends here and made supper down at the river. April was outnumbered but I am sure she held her own. Phil and I made hot tea and buttered popcorn and watched 007-Moonraker.

No comments: