Monday, May 3, 2010

Hertzler Doings~May 3-9, 2010

Mon.-My last Monday to be 51 years old. I like being this age. I'll like being 52 as well. Enjoyed this day at home. Phil, Freeman, and Philip are butchering cow #111. Philip has raised her since she was a day old and he was sad about it until she shoved him around rather roughly as he tried to corral her into a pen. Phil scoured the big copper kettle and raised it above an outdoor fire using the Bobcat and a heavy chain. He put alot of water and salt in it and they've been throwing the bones in there all day. He added some onions, carrots and celery to it and later this eve., I will be canning many quarts of beef broth. It is already 6 in the eve. and it is still cooking. I may be pulling an all nighter and I have to teach tomorrow!

Practiced making the dessert for the rehearsal dinner. It is a layered pudding dessert with flour, butter, and pecans baked as a crust first. Then you add Cool Whip, cream cheese, and 10 x sugar together and beat. Put that on the crust. Beat milk and chocolate pudding together and put that on as the next layer. Cover with cool whip and shredded chocolate. It has an interesting name and I am not sure if I will have the nerve to actually go through with making and serving it. I am getting more conservative in my old age.

Tues.-55 quarts of beef broth. Good day at school. The kids enjoyed and were grossed out when I read about Beethoven's life. What a man! What makes a man great? His work or his character?
Beethoven was always in love. Usually he was in love with a married woman or an engaged woman. One little first grader gravely confessed, "I'm engaged." "Oh, really?" I responded. "What's her name?" He told me. She has a sweet name. Felt funny in my head and stomach and something seems to be going around. The mold count is very high and has the same effect.

Wed.-Phil and Philip built a shelf in our bedroom for the beef broth. Another good day. In order for the children not to get weary of the song they must learn for the program, I vary the method for learning it. But the words are so powerful and meaningful to 'In Christ Alone' that it seems that they don't tire of it no matter how many times we sing it. The children think school is already out. I have to work extra hard to keep them in line. Plus, the more comfortable they are with me, the more they have to tell me, and I could just listen to their stories the whole period. They are getting familiar with at least 5 of Beethoven's compositions. We play 'Musical Mats' and if they get out and can name the piece of music, they get to go back in. What a thrill to hear the students shout out, 'Moonlight Sonata' or "Beethoven's 5th or 9th symphony" or "Fur Elise." Today, I got a thrill, when one of the 5th grade boys yelled out, " Piano sonata #23!" I never did get them all out. They were too sharp.

Took Susan and Michael to youth group in eve. Shopped at Walmart for some shore clothes. Got to get back to eating healthier and doing my exercises. Philip sick today-sore throat and feeling lousy. Freeman housesat for the Bantons from Sunday eve. to Wed. morning. I stopped in tonight to bring the little girls big scrap paper. Adi reached up and held me tight and said, "I go to your house." There is nothing so beautiful as love on a loved one's face. Lindsay said later that she was so disappointed to have missed me. She said, "I could smell you in my house even though you weren't there!"
Michael twisted his ankle today playing kickball at school. We put ice on it right away. He is going to keep it propped up tomorrow while he works on his thesis at home.

Thurs.-What did I do this day? I have lots crossed off on my list.

Fri.-Michael pulled an all nighter and finished his thesis on predestination at 3 this morning. He slept in and missed the pottery field trip. Susan went to the Hout's with some other friends overnight after the field trip. She sounded so happy and said that she made a polka dotted plate for me. I met Lori K. and she helped me with my car in Farmville today. We went to Judy's to get our wedding dresses altered. Sammy Jo had pony tails and was wearing a soft little dress with panties to match. She sat on my lap and was very interested in my purse and its contents. Judy said later that she kept going to the door and calling my name after we left. Lori and I ate at Risoldi's and went Goodwill shopping. My car was finally ready to pick up after 2. Needs $900 worth of work to pass inspection. Went to Walmart to get ready for next weeks events after saying good bye to my patient friend. Came home with a serious headache and didn't do much in the eve. The guys are working on Janelle's house and Michael is working at Krogers. Susan spent the night at the Hout's along with Olivia and Leah. Phil is working in the fields. I love him so.

Sat.-Worked very hard today. The guys were emptying the white van and were bringing things into the house that I haven't seen since we moved. It was a bit overwhelming to try to organize things and do wash and other Sat. jobs. Phil made it all worth while when he came in and said, "How do you do it?...Bring order out of chaos?" Watched 'Miss Congeniality' in the eve. with Phil and Susan. Boys had friends down to the river.
Started sneezing and feeling tight. All the mold and dust from the chaos, I suppose.


Sun.-Mother's Day service at church. Honored Margaret S. and Lisa P. Perfect. Came home and went down to the river for lunch. Roasted hotdogs and marshmallows and had S'mores, potato salad, cole slaw, carrots and dill pickles. Sat around and watched Michael, Philip, and Daniel wrestle on the one blanket. Alli is still engaged to Freeman. I guess she is getting to see our family be themselves and I think she will survive. Susan fished a bit and Phil slept on the sand with a towel over a log for a pillow. Gil hugged me at the end of church and said, 'Thank you for being a mother to Lindsay.' Made me cry and I am so honored. Oh, down at the river, Phil asked each of them to say something nice about me. Let's see if I can remember. Freeman said I was encouraging. Alli-good cook, supportive. Philip-pleasant to be around. Michael-ebullient-I am not sure if that is the right word but it meant happy. I should look it up before someone else does. Susan-fun to be around. Daniel-welcoming. And Phil-I love you so much. Let's pray. He was hungry. Came back and watched Monk and Gil and Lindsay, Emma and Adi came and we just hung out together, talking, etc. Lindsay made a microwave volcano cake in the oven that was out of this world. They are family and we love them dearly.

No comments: