Friday, February 26, 2010

The Daily Dozen

If I were to move to another country,
and could only take 12 books,
these are the books I would take.
They are scattered across my desk
and I read them often.
I feel richer than a billionaire
because of my collection.
I write this because most readers
are always looking for a good book.
The ones I recommend here
will not disappoint you.

1-NKJV Study Bible
2-Strongs Exhaustive Concordance
3-'Celebration of Discipline'-Foster
4-'Disciplines of the Inner Life'-Benson
5-'Early Will I Seek You'-Augustine
6-'Streams in the Desert'-Mrs. Charles Cowman
7-'Daily Help'-Charles Spurgeon
8-'The Supplied Life'-Bill Freeman
9-'My Utmost for His Highest'-Oswald Chambers
10-'A Year With C.S.Lewis'-Daily Readings from his classics
11-'Hymns of Glorious Praise'
12-'Biblical Journal Notes'-by B.L.D.-My mother

I worry that people will look at my list and think I am spiritual.
Or maybe they will think that I think that I am spiritual.
But I am hungry for God, homesick for heaven, and in need of comfort.
My appetite for books such as these reveals my needs.

I am so glad that Jesus said that He did not come to help those who are healthy,
but to help those who are sick. I am so glad that My Beloved Physician takes time to diagnosis my need and prescribe perfect medicine that has no ill side effects.

The pleasant words I read are as a honeycomb,
sweet to my mind and healing to my body. (Prov. 16:24)

No comments: