Monday, February 15, 2010

What's in a Name?

..."I will set him on high, because he has known My name." Psalm 91:14b

Names tell alot about a person.
They speak of a person's character, what he has done, and where he has lived.
My maiden name, Diffenbach, means 'Deep River.'
I suppose that my ancestors lived near a deep river at one time.
Those who have the last name of 'Carpenter' most likely have carpenters
in their family tree.

So, I've been thinking about the verse in Psalm 91:14b.
It holds a promise.
God will set us on high if we know His name.

I believe the more we know about what is contained in His name,
the more we will understand His character, who He is,
and what He does.

Our church has been focusing on the discipline of worshiping Christ
without request. I think, that as we know His name, and proclaim His names,
we are proclaiming Him as the answer to our requests that we are not making. For example, instead of asking God to take care of our needs, we worship Him as Jehovah Jireh, our Provider.

We worship the Answer instead of focusing on our need.
We know His name, Jehovah Jireh, and we know His name
because we need Him. Our knowledge of His name
comes from our need and experiencing Him as the Answer.

I have a little book I started reading since Psalm 91, vs. 14, made its way back into my world. I bought the book for $.99 years ago. It's entitled, 'Wonderful Names of Our Wonderful Lord," and is written by Charles E. Hurlburt and T.C. Horton.

Each writing takes a name of Christ or God, gives a verse, a short teaching, and a prayer. Each day, I reread the names I've already read.
I want to know His names.
I want to know Him.

These are the names I've read and studied so far:

'The Seed of the Woman'
"The Angel of Jehovah'
"Shiloh (Peacemaker)
"The Stone of Israel"
"Manna"
"A Star"
"A Sceptre"
"The Rock of My Salvation"
"The Light of the Morning"
"The Captain of the Host of the Lord"
"Tender Grass"
"The Daysman"
"My Glory"
"The Lifter Up of My Head"
"Fortress"
"My Rock and My Fortress"
"Restorer"
"A Worm and no man"

Each name that describes God and Jesus shows us more of who He is.
He is so rich and full.
We sing, "O for a thousand tongues to Sing..."
We will never on this earth, get to have a thousand tongues to sing His praise.
But I am thinking, that with two names to a page, and another 80 pages to go,
I may have close to 200 or more names to praise,
and that may be just as good as having a thousand tongues
to sing My Great Redeemer's praise....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The following is a sample entry from the book.
I love this one in particular and often ponder its meaning.

"The Meat (Meal) Offering"

"And when any will offer a meat offering unto the LORD, his offering shall be of fine flour; and he shall pour oil upon it, and put frankincense thereon." Lev. 2:1

"Perfect communion with our God as shown in the "MEAT OFFERING" was in many sense the highest pattern which our Savior set for men. Shall we not make it the chiefest plan of every day to have time when we enter into such worship with Him that we may truly say, "There is nothing between Thee and me, dear Lord," and then carry the sweetness of that deep communion unmarred and uninterrupted through all the hours. Most Holy Meal Offering, "El Elyon, as Thou didst pour upon the fine meal of Thy perfect life the Holy Oil of Thy most Holy Spirit, and the frankincense of Thy perfect adoration, and offer all for me, so I, accepting Thine which only hallows mine, pour forth my soul, my blood-cleansed soul, in worship. Holy! Holy! Holy! is the Lord. Amen."

No comments: