Monday, February 8, 2010

Sunday Sermon-Feb 7, 2010

Worship Reading-Psalm 91-My friend, Diane, had just sent me a book on Psalm 91. I started reading it on Saturday. It was moving to hear it read during worship. I've avoided it since Johnny died, but it was always my favorite psalm. It's coming back on its own; seeking me out. I have to taste and see what it wants from me.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My take and understanding of Pastor Frank's sermon:

Think about Jesus and the woman at the well.

His disciples saw the woman,
But Jesus saw the city.

Many of us just see a Sunday service,
but God sees a city.

Many just see a city,
But God sees a nation.

Many see a cloud the size of a man's hand,
But God sees an abundance of rain.

Some see the present time of trouble,
But God sees us filled with His glory.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Vindication by the Holy Spirit-John 12:1-8

Jesus came to Bethany, to the home of Lazarus, whom he had raised from the dead.
It was six days before the Passover.
Lazarus sat at the table with Jesus while Martha prepared and served supper.
Mary took a pound of pure oil of spikenard, and anointed the feet of Jesus, wiping His feet with her hair. (It was worth an entire year's wage.)
The whole house was filled with the fragrance of this oil.
But Judas, who was a thief and was in charge of the money box,
protested the extravagant act,
"Why didn't you sell this oil and give the proceeds to the poor?"
He didn't care about the poor,
he just wanted more money for the box because he helped himself to it from time to time.
But Jesus defended her, saying, "Let her alone; she has kept this for the day of my burial. For the poor you will always have with you, but I won't always be here."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Oh, to be vindicated by Jesus.
The accuser of our brethren is constantly trying to raise up hindrances in our lives.
"I want to be vindicated-not by might, nor by power, but by the Spirit of God.
I want the church, my children, my life to be vindicated by the Holy Spirit.
Holy Spirit, vindicate Your people again."

The same Spirit that chose me and drew me and called me will also vindicate me.
He will stand before me, after I have done my best for Him, and reveal the truth regarding me.
He will defend and vindicate me.
Vindicate means to clear, as from an accusation or suspicion; To validate worth in light of later developments.

Mary had an undeniable passion for the Lord.
People had come to their house, not only to see Jesus, but also to see Lazarus.
He was not only a phenomena, he was their friend, come back to life.
The house was full.
Mary didn't allow the presence of others to
deter her from her passion for Christ.
She poured out her passion on Him.
She spoke without speaking.

The test of a thief is this;
a thief opposes the extravagance of a passion.
A thief tries to steal your worship by reminding you of all your troubles
and of all the poor (needs) around you.
The enemy hates when we worship God without making requests from Him.

A thief wanted to rob the moment of passion from Mary.
He wanted her to second guess her motive and her love.
But, Jesus stuck up for her and said that even if no one else
understood what He was about to go through,
she did. She had listened well,
and it meant a great deal to Him.

This perfume was absorbed into His skin.
He would smell the worship poured out on His life every day
until His crucifixion. It would sustain Him and carry
Him through the crucifixion itself.

Why was she so passionate towards Jesus?
It was because there was a moment in her life
where Jesus had touched her and proved Himself real.
He raised her brother from the dead.

(I think He touched her many times before.
She often sat at His feet and listened to Him.
I think she loved Him so much that she was so disappointed
in Him when He didn't come and heal her brother.
She was looking for a healing,
but He disappointed her and broke her heart.
Then He gave her a resurrection.)

11 Cor. 2:14-"Now thanks be to God who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and through us diffuses the fragrance of His knowledge in every place. For we are to God the fragrance of Christ among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing. To the one we are the aroma of death leading to death, and to the other the aroma of life leading to life."

Our lives in Christ have such a fragrance that people have to make a decision to be attracted or to run away. The aroma of worship in this place is so strong, that it causes those who would cause disunity to leave or change.
What is in your home is so strong that people will either want to stay there or never come back. Your passion for God will either bring them in or cause them to flee.

1 Tim, 3:15, 16-Unadulterated Worship is "...knowing how to conduct ourselves in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of truth..."

"The mystery of godliness is this:
God was manifested in the flesh,
Justified in the Spirit,
Seen by angels,
Preached among the Gentiles,
Believed on in the world,
Received up in glory."

Jesus was justified in the Spirit.
People said things like,
"Isn't this the carpenter's son?" and
"Can any good come out of Nazareth?"
He never said a word of defense in front of His accusers.
He never held a cruel thought.
He loved those who were abusing Him
as much as He loved the one who poured the oil on Him.

Someone was worried that Jesus was telling the truth
about coming back to life.
So, they placed a stone in front of the entrance to His grave.

He was vindicated by the Spirit-The stone was rolled away.
He rose from the dead.
He ascended.
One day every nation will bow down before Him.
He will be completely vindicated!

If the same Spirit that raised Christ from the dead
dwells in you....what kind of vindication are you going
to see in your life?
People are soon going to find out that it was because of you that things turned around.
People will find out after the fact that it was because of you that tragedy was averted.

The thief is getting you to look at the extravagance of what is being poured out,
but God is breathing it in.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Spent some time at the altar,
with the lover and vindicator of my soul.
I desired not to lift my arms up to Him
but to place my arms around Him and hold Him close.
I felt Him pour His oil on my head;
warm and dripping it went down my arms
and off my fingers..
down my legs unto my feet.
"I am not going to wipe off your feet.
I want the oil of my fragrance
to leave footprints of My presence
wherever you go...
How beautiful on the mountains
are the feet of those who bring Good News..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I wrote a song for Mary of Bethany 25 years ago.
I kept hearing it in my mind while Pastor Frank spoke.


Jesus, lover of my soul
I cannot bear to look into Your eyes
For they tell me you are leaving
They say that you are grieving
Why must you say good-bye

So I'll anoint your feet
with the oil of sweet perfume
And I will dry the tears
that are flowing down your cheeks
I'll hold you in my heart
even when You're gone
I'll say good-bye before they bury You.

Jesus, lover of My soul
I long to stay forever at Your feet
to hear the truth that sets me free
Your words of peace
they quiet me
Why must you say good-bye?

Jesus, lover of My soul
You love the world as much as you love me
So I'll turn your face to Calvary
I know they'll hang You on a tree
But the time has come for me to
say good-bye

So, I'll anoint your feet
with the oil of sweet perfume
And I will dry the tears
that are flowing down your cheeks
I'll hold you in my heart
even when you're gone
I'll say good-bye
before they bury You.

No comments: