Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Philip's October Butter

I made some October Butter.
Philip thought it was applesauce so he ate it like it was applesauce.
He thought it was the best tasting applesauce he ever had.
But, really, it was more like apple butter.
Here is the original recipe
and then I'll give out my 'tweaks'.

I got it from the book entitled "The How To Book-Canning, Freezing, Drying"

October Butter
(Makes about 5 eight-ounce glasses)

8 medium cooking apples
2 large firm pears
3 cups orange juice
2 cinnamon sticks
2 cups mashed ripe banana
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
Sugar

Wash apples and pears. Cut into small pieces, but do not peel or remove cores.
Place in large kettle with OJ and cinnamon sticks. Cook until very soft.
Put through a food mill, discarding seeds and skins. Combine apples and pears with bananas
and lemon juice. Cook mixture gently until it is thick enough to mound on a spoon.
Measure fruit mixture and had half as much sugar as fruit.
Boil gently until thickened about 20-25 min.
Remove from heat and pour into hot sterilized jars.
Seal immediately.

(When I made it, I also added crushed pineapple. I didn't concern myself with the ratio of pears to apples. I used what I had. After I had made the sauce and added the banana and pineapple and cooked it for awhile, it tasted sweet enough to me so I didn't add any sugar. No one complained. This is so good over cottage cheese.)

No comments: