Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Seven-Layer Salad

Some thirty-odd years ago, a bridal shower was given in my honor,
and all of the guests brought a favorite recipe written out on an index card
for me to add to my collection.
My sister-in-law, Naomi, brought me a recipe for Seven Layer Salad.
I can't find it at this moment, but I love it, because it is written out in her beautiful
hand-writing. Freeman was two years old, when she was killed by a drunk driver,
on Dad's 30th birthday, September 19, 1986.
My brother Abe, chose well twice, and we have long enjoyed his beautiful wife, Karen.

Seven Layer Salad~~

I like to put this right into a large rectangular Rubbermaid container.

Layer in the container:

1 head of lettuce, torn in pieces
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 -1 cup frozen peas
(small amounts of onion and peppers which I usually omit)
Shredded carrots-optional, not part of original recipe
4 hard boiled eggs, diced.

Combine and spread over vegetables:
1 cup salad dressing
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons cream

(Sometimes I add cottage cheese and/or yogurt so I don't use so much mayonnaise.
Sometimes I add a squirt of mustard to the dressing as well. Taste and see.)

Spread 2/3-1 cup shredded cheese over dressing and sprinkle with crunchy bacon.

Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.

Can serve 8-10.

No comments: