Friday, October 2, 2015

Crumb Cake

This is a recipe that my Grandma Diffy had and my mother made it many times for my dad.
He really liked it. It's good with milk, or tea, or coffee, or applesauce, or ice cream.

Aunt Rosalee sent it to me. She sent it to all my siblings when she sent it to me in case they would want it too. She has the orginal recipe written in my mother's handwriting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1-1/2 cups sugar
2-1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup shortening

Mix together the flour and sugar and then cut in the shortening until mixture is crumbly.
Reserve 1/2 cup for topping crumbs.

Add:
2 eggs
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup sour milk (1 T. vinegar plus 1 cup milk)
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla

Pour into greased and floured pans-2 round cake pans or 2 pie pans
Sprinkle reserved crumbs on top.
Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I remember the happy smell of these crumb cakes and how delighted my Daddy was
when he'd come home and numerous crumb cakes would be lined up on the counter.
I'm quite sure she always doubled the recipe. (At least.)
Sometimes, she'd make the little crumb cakes in little pie pans.

Whenever I have breakfast at Aunt Rosalee's house, she makes crumb cake
in memory of our mother and she serves breakfast using Mother's pretty
china and glass dishes.

No comments: