Friday, January 28, 2011

First Words

Mary Magdalene stood weeping
outside of the empty tomb.
The stone had been rolled away
and she was distraught
because the body of her beloved Christ
was no longer there.

She peered in again,
hoping to prove herself wrong.
Two angels were sitting where
Jesus's head and feet had rested.

"Woman, why are you weeping?"
they asked.

"Because they have taken away my Lord
and I do not know where they have laid Him."

She was so focused on this sorrowful thought
that she did not think twice about seeing angels.

She turned away from them and saw a man.
She thought he was the gardener.

"Woman," he asked, "Why are you weeping?
Whom are you seeking?"

"Because they have taken away my Lord
and I do not know where they have laid Him.
Please, sir, if you've carried Him away,
tell me where you have laid Him,
and I will take Him away."
(Where would she have taken Him?)

And then Jesus said,"Mary!"

And the rest is history.
Good, true, life-changing history.
You can read about it in John 21.

You know what I love?
I love several things.

I love that He appeared to Mary first.
Perhaps she was the one who had been
forgiven the most and so she loved
Him the most.

And I love, love, love the first words
out of His mouth after coming back to life.

"Woman, why are you weeping?
Whom are you seeking?"
And then, "Mary!"
Her name.

You know what?
You don't have to keep being tough and strong.
You don't have to keep holding everything together.

Because some of the last words Jesus spoke before
He died were words of concern for a woman.
He entrusted His mother to John the Beloved.
And He knew John would need His mother.
He desires to see you cared for also.

And He speaks His 'first words' to you as well.

"Woman, why are you weeping?
Whom do you seek?"

Perhaps He is not where you thought
He would be.
Perhaps you do not recognize Him
in your surroundings.

And then, He speaks your name.

What is your name?

Once you hear Him say your name,
you will see Him in a different way.

So tell Him why you weep and
for whom you seek.

And listen,
for He speaks your name.

2 comments:

Heather Grisaffe said...

Hi! I just randomly came across your blog today. I have no idea who you are (I was doing a search for sheet music for Twila Paris song), but I just wanted to tell you that I loved this post. I just sent the link to a friend who is really struggling right now with many things in her life and I'm sure it will minister to her. Thanks for writing such beautiful words. And also...my daughter's name is Annie. :-) Blessings!!

Annie said...

Thank you so much for your encouraging words. I needed them. I'll pray for your friend. Give Annie a hug for me. A~