Saturday, January 1, 2011

Lists

I've been making lists as I study the second and third chapter of the book of Revelations.

I've made a list of the rebukes and the instructions to correct those rebukes.
I've made a list of the commendations and the rewards for overcomers.
I was going to write them all in here but I think I will quickly summarize them
because I discovered a list in Revelation that I like the most and want to spend
time doing that.

So, to summarize:
There were two churches that received no rebuke from Jesus.
These churches were under severe testing and some were losing their lives.
He encouraged them to be faithful until the end and to not be afraid.
I think their suffering provided opportunity for them to be purified ahead of time.
Their lives were at stake and they loved Him enough to lose theirs.

The other churches rebukes and instructions?

They had left their first love. ~~Repent and do what you did before.
They were tolerant of immorality, idolatry, and heresies. ~~Repent. Keep the faith.
They were dead.~~Repent. Strengthen what remains.
They were indifferent.~~Be zealous and repent.

The commendations?

~They rejected evil, persevered, and had patience.
~They bore suffering gracefully.
~They kept the faith of Christ.
~Their love, patience, faith, service was greater than before.
~They kept the words of Christ and honored His name.
(Some of these commendations were mentioned for more than one church.)

The church that had no commendations was the church He rebuked as being indifferent.
He wanted them to become zealous and repent and if they did so, they would share in His throne.

I thought this was interesting. A note in my Bible says, "The seven churches were located on a major Roman postal route and are listed in the order in which a messenger would reach the towns, making a semicircular sweep from Ephesus."

Now I want to write about the way that Jesus was described in this book and the ways He described Himself.

No comments: