Monday, January 24, 2011

Hertzler Doings-Jan. 24-30, 2011

Mon.-Woke up to see a nicely framed picture of Michael with the head guy of Cutco along with a congratulatory letter for becoming branch manager of Cutco on our kitchen table. Only 300 branch managers in the U.S. He got home very late last night. Travelled with four others in a car from Atlanta since 2 Sunday afternoon. We had a nice time catching up with his weekend. He needed our old Cutco to show people how good it works and looks after 28 years of use, so he worked out a deal with us, and within a week, I will be sporting some new Cutco in our kitchen! Did some wash, paperwork, etc. today. Michael picked up Susan for me and visited with some of the teachers. /I am thankful for the nice time I had with Michael and that he got home safely. I am thankful for his excitement about helping us get Cutco. I am thankful for a day at home.

Tues.-Good day at school. Kroger was busy due to snow forecast. Philip sick with fever-102-sore throat and chills. Too tired to write. I am thankful for the high school boys and how they sing with all their hearts in music class. I am thankful that they seem like little boys when they play with play dough (while listening to classical music pieces). Some of them always thank me for letting them play with play dough or color. I am thankful that Susan understood that Phil and I need some time to discuss her scheduling interests before making a decision. I am thankful for mother's letter and the words she said.


Wed.-Went into school for one class this morning. Had time to write and enter some of mother's writings in her blog. School was dismissed at 12:30 due to pending snow. We ran some errands and as soon as we got home, it poured down ice. Started snowing around 4:00. Our ground is saturated with rain and puddles are everywhere. I am not going out to church tonight and am hoping they cancel so Susan isn't disappointed. (They did.) Made some sweet potatoes and soy beans for supper to have with salad. Made popcorn to eat while watching a movie with Susan. Michael went over to Freeman's to borrow some movies before the roads get too bad. Philip is still sick. Michael is taking care of him. He doesn't want us to get around him and get sick. Philip said that he can see why you put a sick calf with a healthy calf. He would have gotten so lonely over there without Michael's company. We've been sending over tea and soup. I am thankful for the move 'Amazing Grace' that Susan and I watched part way this eve. I am thankful that everyone is finally home and under one roof. Or Two. I am thankful for the big gloppy snowflakes falling from winter skies.

Thurs.-Woke up at 4:30 when Phil's alarm went off. Couldn't go back to sleep and have a two hour delay. He needs to take care of Philip's cows too and be off at 6. He's working at the Abbey today. I had time to study and make supper before going to school. Back roads were icy. Taught art. K/1 girls made the paint blob/mirror type pictures that K/1 boys and 2nd graders made last week. They just love doing this. 2nd graders finished their long sheet with Jack's Bean Stalk colored on it. It filled the table. I am working on a Jack and the Bean Stalk play with that group on Tuesdays. Then they made things with paper and played with play dough. I watched high school gym class through the window for awhile before lunch until I could stand it no longer and went in and joined them. They were playing volleyball. It's hard to learn how to play volleyball when no one knows how to play. I had to brag and say that I used to be on a volleyball middle school varsity team and we won the trophy. (I also used to be on a high school varsity softball team-played first base and pitcher sub and our team won the trophy. I used to run for track and field, jump the long jump, and throw shot put. The key word here is 'used' to. But my kids might not know this about me so I need to write it down while I am thinking about it. I used to walk on the tops of white fences too in my bare feet. How in the world did I do that? Maybe that's a false memory. I also used to be a life guard and subbed-taught water aerobics and some swimming. ) Anyway. After school, Doreen and Graham met Susan and I at Baine's for a coffee/tea study hour. We'll have to do that more often. That was really nice. / I am thankful for the little girl who turned pink and had a hard time breathing when her favorite boy walked by her to go to the office. I kid you not. I am thankful for the little boy who didn't get to paint last week so I kept him with the girls. He wasn't so sure about the whole thing because they were telling him how handsome he was. "I like his eyes," one said. "I like his eyelashes," said another. I thought about keeping him safe by putting him at a table all by himself but all the paint was on one table. Once they got started on their painting, they stopped thinking about how beautiful he was and started thinking about how beautiful their creations were. I am thankful for my favorite street in Appomattox and the shop keepers who waved to me as they drove by. Doreen said, "Do you know everybody or are they just friendly?"

Fri.-Great night of sleep. Read. Studied. Blogged. Washed. Cooked. Cleaned. Made wild rice/barley salad and Lindsay's quinoa salad that she posted on her blog. Both were great. I made some Italian polenta as well for the first time. Cooked a big pot of black beans and will freeze them in smaller containers. Wrote to Liberty regarding multi-disciplinary degree. It's beautiful outside. Gray clouds moving fast and full sun. It was raining ice this morning when I took Susan to school. Philip is feeling a bit better. Phil is hanging a door at Gilliams and will pick up Susan from school which gives me an extra hour when it's all said and done. Michael is wanting to cook something. He is very tired and is working on cleaning up their male space over there. Phil and Philip were working at the Abbey this morning. Oh! Bev called. That was wonderful. We picked up where we left off and are making plans for going to the shore in April. I am thankful for the promise of a gift coming in the mail. /I am thankful for Bev and that she always sees the bright side. I am thankful for Zane Grey and the great stories he writes.

Sat.-Philip and Freeman are in a squirrel hunting competition today. Lisa S. wrote on face book that she was praying that the little squirrels would be kept safe over at Nate's and Michael wrote, "Too bad you didn't pray for the one's over at the Hertzler farm..." or something like that anyway. We think a squirrel started our fire so I don't think that they are so cute and furry anymore. Their hunting was personal with a touch of vengeance. Alli came and picked up Susan and they went Goodwill shopping in Lynchburg. I tidied the house and outdoors and went to the chiro. I have discovered something of importance during this 21 day fast. I should be feeling better because I am off of sugar, meat, white flour, caffeine, dairy, etc. but I don't feel that great. So last week I added more grains. And I felt worse. So tired. My joints are swollen and my whole left side is in so much pain I could hardly sleep last night even with several Aleve and ice and heat. So...I think, in fact I am 99% sure that I have a wheat and corn allergy. I knew about the corn before because I always get so stiff after I eat popcorn but I was in denial about it because it is my favorite food. Then, when I made some cream of wheat in order to get more iron, because I thought that was why I was so tired, I really got stiff and had a great deal more pain and tiredness. So, I am glad for my health that I went on that fast because I am going to eliminate wheat and corn from my diet and see if that will even help the vertigo situation. If I could sleep on my right side, that would help with the pain on my left shoulder since it is worn out from sleeping only on my left side for 11 years. (I get vertigo if I am on my right side.) Worked on Bible Memory system for several hours, organizing little index cards into a box and larger papers into slip covers and a 3 ring binder. Made some black bean soup which everyone seems to love but Susan and I. Tidied up the reading basket in the bathroom. Finished watching 'Amazing Grace' with Susan. Christi and Philip made some macaroni and cheese. Susan got a lot of nice things at Goodwill for under $30. She had a great time with Allikat. /I am thankful for the warmer day. I am thankful for the hope I feel in regards to feeling better soon. I am thankful that the rooster has no desire to attack me. He's gone after everyone else a number of times. Maybe it's because Freeman told him that he'd shoot him if he attacked his mama.

Sun.-Dianna taught on worship in Journey class. So good. Dorene and Graham came. It took them an hour to get to church.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Freeman and Alli brought us some of their homemade chocolate chip whole wheat bread which Phil ate on the way home, and some banana bread which I hid so he couldn't eat that as well. Alli said that Freeman was talking in his sleep and he said, "Yes, I want ice cream with my salad." After church we went over to the youth center to hear about the mission trip to New York City this summer. Susan wants to go. Michael and Philip and some of their friends went to the Hibachi Grill in Lynchburg. They are breaking their fast today. Susan went to Kelli's. Phil and I took naps. I went for a nice long walk. It is the first day I've had energy to do this for a very long time. The dogs were thrilled. "She's alive!" they shouted. It's 55 degrees and I keep thinking that I am going to hear spring peepers. We got to church late in the eve. due to cattle care and water problems. The downstairs looked packed so we went to the balcony and I led the way to a front row seat. Big mistake. I felt every movement and was up too high and got completely seasick. I tried to forget about my lurching stomach and be part of what was going on but we finally left at 8:30 and Phil rubbed my back while I hurled before we even drove out of the parking lot. Sorry about that. /I am thankful for Julie, who walked around the parking lot during the service with me as I hoped to throw up. I am thankful for Kristen, who I sat beside in the balcony and shared her sweet sympathy and prayers. I am thankful that God keeps His promises in spite of how we feel.

No comments: