Monday, January 17, 2011

Hertzler Doings-Jan.17-23, 2011

Mon.-Woke up early. Read. Took Susan to school. Went to Krogers and Walmart. Came home and made rice/beans/salsa, stir fry veggies with rice, and a big salad. Michael made us toasted soy cheese sandwich with onions and dill pickles on Ezekiel bread. Amazing. Did lots of wash. Blogged. Went out to put my signature on a sales contract. Picked up Susan. Went to the library. Closed for Martin Luther King Day. Watched a movie in the eve. (Charlie St. Cloud) Far too sad and a bit abstract for me. I am thankful for an early to bed evening. I am thankful for a day at home. I am thankful for Father Tim. (Mitford Series) Okay. He's becoming a bit too real to me.

Tues.-Two hour delay. Ice over everything. Philip and Freeman both fell hard because of it. Worked on songs for the Recitatio today. Their favorite song was 'Sarasponda'. They liked the Boom-da's running through the song. Came home and made homemade tomato soup with organic milk that I needed to use up. Also grilled soy cheese sandwiches using Ezekiel bread. Everyone satisfied. Made a pile of sweet potatoes in the oven and kale/white bean soup for supper tomorrow. So very tired. I am thankful for dear teacher friends. I am thankful for Noah and that he is always seeing the big picture. He's about 7 or 8, I think. I am thankful for the student who tried to hug me today with lunch kettle in hand and back pack in the way. I am thankful for little Noemi, and how much her mama's heart longs for her, even though she hasn't seen her yet. I can't wait to see her either.


Wed.-Music Day went well. We started working on their Recitatio Songs in earnest, now that I know which songs each class will sing. They all loved the 'Battle of New Orleans' song. "We fired our guns and the British kept a'comin'...Wasn't nigh as many as there was awhile." I sang it in my best bluegrass style voice and played it roughly on the guitar. I am not sure if I averted a disaster or not in 2nd grade. Seems that my red head preacher man boy decided to clue the rest of the class in to his truth that there is no Santa Claus. He was steady and strong and although all five others were against him, he refused to give up his platform. One little boy, asked me with trembling voice and threatening-to-weep eyes, "Mrs. Hertzler, do you believe in Santa Claus?" I have never stuttered so much in my life. I said this and that and recommended that they talk to their parents. I was wishing the fire drill would go off and almost ran to the Principal's office for back up. One little boy had sound proof that Santa brings him gifts. On the gifts his mother gives him, she has name tags on. On the gifts from Santa, there are no name tags, and every Christmas, he said with a reverent smile, there are gifts for him with no tags on them.


K/1 were rather rowdy. One little darling drew me a pretty abstract picture. She said that it was a 'colorful meeting.' It was indeed. Came home and ate a sweet potato, salad, and kale/bean soup. Headed out to church in eve. Went to Sara's for a visit while Susan was at church. I have never been adored by a cat before but there's always a first time. Their cat, Buddy, sprawled shamelessly on the floor in front of me, begging for the attention of my stocking feet. Sometimes, he jumped up so his head would touch my relaxed hand as it rested across the arm chair, just so he could say that I petted him. He even sprang up to sit on my lap. Sara said that when I left, he sat looking at the door for awhile and then came and sat where I had been sitting. Then he went to the top of the chair where my head had been resting and rubbed the spot with his paws. I know this is ridiculous but I am strangely flattered by all this, especially since she said he seldom gives out these kind of compliments.~~ I am thankful for the humble confession of a child today and his desire to receive my forgiveness. (Not a second grader) I am thankful that the songs are coming together for the program. I am thankful that I only had to tackle one 'S' word today. I am thankful for blue skies and sunny days. I am thankful for Sara and the way she listens to me. I am thankful for her dreams and what God will do with them.

Thurs.-Art today. We blobbed paint on paper and folded them in half and created a masterpiece nothing short of miraculous. It sounded like Christmas each time they opened them up. "OOOAHH..." They each made 4 or 5 paintings and the tables and counter tops were full when I left the room. I will go in when I drop Susan off in the morning and gather them up before the upper grade art teacher arrives. One of the second grade girls realized today for the first time that Sam's mother was also his teacher and hers. I found that astoundingly humorous. Ate lunch with a little girl who was having a bad day, 'but now it's better since you're with me', she said. Had to take a nap this morning in the school library. Went to Walmart after school. Came home and made spinach salad and toasted cheese sandwiches with Ezekiel bread and soy cheese. I put onions in mine before grilling it in the waffle machine. That's the best way to make toasted cheese sandwich. Watched the real 'Pink Panther Returns.' Went to bed early. I am thankful that Michael got a call from Cutco and he is officially branch manager in Danville this summer. He'll get an apartment and have an office. Boo-hoo and hooray. Sad he won't be here much and happy for his accomplishments. One of the mom's at school had Michael over to give a Cutco demonstration. She enjoyed him so much and she recommended a friend of hers for him to go see. This friend told her not to send anyone to her house again. She said that she spent six hundred dollars and fell in love with him, (not necessarily in that order). I remember him coming back from both of those demonstrations saying how nice they all were. I am thankful to get to bed before 9. I am thankful for the little student in Walmart who gave me a hug when he saw me. He's one of several I'd like to have as my own. I am thankful that Michael arrived safely in Richmond tonight. He's headed to Atlanta in the morning for an awards banquet. We were invited as well but it didn't work out to go. Christi's here tonight, watching a movie with Philip. Phil was out working with his cows after building a spring house for Rich today and then headed over to Happy Valley Farm to start a fire in the wood stove so the dry wall dries.

Fri.-Ran some errands after dropping Susan off at school. Had to take another morning nap. Did washing, cleaning, correspondence, etc. Called Annie and had a nice long talk. Can't wait to hold her little miracle. She keeps telling him that his Aunt Annette is going to eat him up and he just looks at her with his big blueberry eyes. I am too selfish to go up the last weekend of this month when Tom's are going up. I want things to settle down and I want to have time to hold both babies without needing to share too much if at all. Sent Makenzie a box full of her belongings back to her in Kentucky at the Post Office. Took a leadership style test and found out that I am a 'Preparer' all the way. Had Phil take it too. He is a 'Proclaimer.' The test helped me understand quite a few other people. Nice relaxing day. Much needed. I am thankful that Philip has some friends coming to spend the night. He is making their breakfast for tomorrow right now, and Susan is helping him. They are going archery hunting for squirrels tomorrow morning. I am thankful for Susan's calmness with no sugar in her system. I am thankful that I got to talk to Annie, Sara, Missi, Dianna, Lindsay, and Judy today on the phone and Janelle on face book. I am coming out of a rough time and don't hate the phone like I did even two weeks ago. Michael should be in Atlanta by now. We haven't heard anything from him. I am thankful that most of the time, no news is good news.

Sat.-So tired. Just want to sleep. I don't sleep well on days when I've taught school for some reason. Slept well last night and could have slept all day. Made a big pot of vegetable soup. Also made a big salad and pureed veg. soup. Tidied the house a bit. Read and rested. Been thinking about faith and love and how they work together. Love Jesus's prayer in John 17. He finished the work God had given Him to do. I want to be able to say that when my time comes. Watched 'Rainman' in the eve. with Phil and Susan. I am thankful for weekends. I am thankful that I can check on line weather without Phil knowing since I am always secretly looking for snow and he is unsecretly wishing for it not to fall. I am thankful for the birds that sing so vibrantly even though their little feet must be cold.

Sun.-Hoses frozen this morning so we had to rush home after church to give cattle water. Stopped in at Janelle's after church to figure out what is wrong with her washer. It's leaking. Kelli came home with us and they dolled Susan up and took pictures. We had some soup and salad for lunch and the girls went to the river and Phil and I watched 'Fly Boys'. The Sandridges lent us some movies. Headed over for a quick visit with Tom's before going to church in the eve.

Church-Pastor Frank said that he feels like a head of lettuce. I guess we ARE what we eat. Sermon Title-The Simplicity of Devotion- Based on John 3:16-

'For God so Loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son; that whosoever believeth on Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life."

Perish-To waste-It is possible to perish in this life and perish eternally, by wasting our present life as well as wasting it eternally. We can be believers who are wasting our lives. Do not allow the cares of this world to rob you from living and from bringing forth a one hundred fold harvest of the gifts and talents God has invested in you.

The word 'believeth' means a continual believing. It is present tense. Believe now and continue to believe. Continue to strive after Him.

Examples in Scripture of those who pursued God:

John the Baptist-No greater man was born of a woman.

Paul-Poured out his life as a drink offering to God.

Mary of Bethany lavished her love on Jesus by pouring out on Him the extravagant vase of oil valued at a year's wages. She worshipped Him and understood Him. She was the only one who comprehended that He really meant that He was going to die and she anointed Him in preparation for His burial. The fragrance of that worshipful preparation most likely stayed with Him until the time of His burial. If you were around Jesus those few days after she anointed Him and before He died, you would have smelled Mary, and Mary would have smelled like Jesus, because the oil was on her as well. Although the disciples scorned her actions, Jesus defended her and said that what she had done would always be retold and remembered.

Some time earlier, when He was at their home, Martha was scurrying around and wanted Jesus to tell Mary to get up from His feet and help her but He told her that Mary had chosen the best and He would not take it from her. When we have intimate moments with Jesus, there can be alot going on around us but the time with Him will not be taken from us.

-Mary Magdalene-about 1 1/2 years before the cross, she came into a room and wept at His feet and wiped her tears off His feet with her long hair. A woman's hair was her glory. The men in the room knew Mary as a sinful woman and thought that Jesus must not know what kind of woman she was or He would not have allowed her to come near Him. He knew their thoughts and told them a little story and said the one who loves most is the one who has been forgiven the most debt. Then to her He said, "Go your way. Your sins are forgiven. Your faith has done this."

Timothy and Paul were also examples of those who were more devoted to Christ than their own needs and rights. In the kingdom of Heaven, you don't have rights. You have privileges.

I am thankful for Dianna's Sunday School class and on the teaching on prayer today.
I am thankful for Karalee's phone call this morning and the wonderful news of her engagement to Jeff. We love them both.
I am thankful for Mary of Bethany and Mary Magdalene. I can't wait to meet them.

No comments: