Monday, January 31, 2011

Seven I Am's

My mother told me one time that if we read through the gospels and then picked our favorite gospel and read it five times, we would see Jesus in a way we've never seen Him before. I read in different parts of the Bible but I am always reading through one gospel. This month, I was reading my favorite book-John. It is with reluctance that I leave him for Matthew but I'll be back soon. My mother also told me that she prays before reading the Bible and asks God to show her something new. It's a good prayer to pray.
Something I read in my Bible notes made me realize that Jesus refers to Himself as 'I Am' in seven different ways in the book of John. We could think about one of these 'I Am's' a day and we'd have a week of thinking about Him.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I Am the Bread of Life~

(He said this soon after the feeding of the 5,000.)

"I am the Bread of Life. He who comes to Me shall never hunger, and he who believes in me shall never thirst. I am the Living Bread which came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever; and the bread that I shall give is My flesh, which I shall give for the life of the world."
(Jn.6:35,51)

I Am the Light of the World~

(He spoke this after the adulterous woman was brought before Him. Her accusers slipped away when He said that the one who had no sin could throw the first stone. He did not condemn her either and told her to go and sin no more.)

"I am the Light of the World. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness but have the Light of Life."

(And spoken after a blind man received his sight-)

"As long as I am in the world, I am the Light of the World."
(John 8:12, John 9:1-7)

I Am the Door~
I Am the Good Shepherd~

(Spoken after a brief conversation with the Pharisees on spiritual blindness.)

"I am the Door of the sheep. If anyone enters the sheepfold by Me, he shall be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture. I am the Good Shepherd; I know My sheep, and am known by my own."
(John 10:2-10)

I Am the Resurrection and the Life~

(After the death of Lazarus; spoken to Martha upon hearing her broken-hearted rebuke, 'Lord, if You had been here, my brother would not have died.')

"I am the Resurrection and the Life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die."
(John 11:1-44)

I Am the Way, the Truth, and the Life~

(Conversation with disciples during the Last Supper spoken in response to Thomas's question, 'Lord, we do not know where You are going, and how can we know the way?")

"I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." (John 14:6)

I Am the True Vine~

(Spoken during or following the Last Supper before going to the garden.)

"I am the True Vine, and My Father is the vinedresser. You are the branches...abide in Me and bear much fruit. By this My Father is glorified and so you are My disciples."
(John 15:1-8)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Our part and the results?

Feed on the Bread of Life-live forever
Follow the Light of the World-not walk in darkness
Enter through the Door-freedom and safety
Know the voice of the Good Shepherd-know Him and be known
Believe He is the Resurrection and the Life-never die
Come to the Father through Jesus-know the Father
Abide and remain in The Vine-bear much fruit
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Feed
Follow
Enter
Know
Believe
Come
Abide

Live forever
Not walk in darkness
Freedom and safety
Know Him and be known of Him
Never die
Know the Father
Bear much fruit
~~~~~~~~~~~
His part?

To be I Am.
To be Himself.

Think on these things.

2 comments:

Jeanne said...

I tagged you for an award - see my entry "A Stylish Award" to play :) Enjoy! Hope to see you soon.

Annie said...

Thanks. I'll check it out! Miss you too!